Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1913011 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2090 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:56 am »
Also enjoyed the article about Steve Earle. Jeff, what did you think of it?

I haven't read the Steve Earle article and don't have a strong opinion about him. But I once saw his sister, Stacey Earle, live -- she opened for Joan Baez, and I took my mom to the concert because she was always a huge Joan Baez fan. Anyway, I liked Stacey enough to buy her CD at intermission!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2091 on: April 06, 2019, 10:37:35 pm »
Also enjoyed the article about Steve Earle. Jeff, what did you think of it?

I liked it. I thought it was interesting.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2092 on: April 08, 2019, 08:33:18 pm »
I may have to scan the cover of the April 8 issue. The artist calls the picture "The Acrobat," but it might just as well be "The Gymnast."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2093 on: April 11, 2019, 01:11:07 pm »
I may have to scan the cover of the April 8 issue. The artist calls the picture "The Acrobat," but it might just as well be "The Gymnast."

I scanned it last evening, and it scanned fine. However, I didn't remove the mailing label because I was afraid it would tear the cover. I have since peeled off the label, and it did not damage the cover, so I'm planning to scan it again.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2094 on: April 12, 2019, 08:55:15 am »
I scanned it last evening, and it scanned fine. However, I didn't remove the mailing label because I was afraid it would tear the cover. I have since peeled off the label, and it did not damage the cover, so I'm planning to scan it again.

I did this last evening, and it turned out quite well.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2095 on: April 12, 2019, 02:07:41 pm »
I just finished "The Day the Earth Died," by Douglas Preston (April 8 ). On page 59, there is a beautiful description of the West. I won't type it out because it's a little long, but it's the paragraph that begins, "I got in, and we drove for an hour or so. ..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2096 on: April 12, 2019, 03:18:17 pm »
I just finished "The Day the Earth Died," by Douglas Preston (April 8 ). On page 59, there is a beautiful description of the West. I won't type it out because it's a little long, but it's the paragraph that begins, "I got in[to the pickup truck holding a paper bag], and we drove for an hour or so [in one direction across the screen]. ..."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2097 on: April 25, 2019, 08:41:13 am »
I started reading Nicholas Lemann's piece about John Hersey. Wow, what an amazing guy. He worked closely with practically every famous person of his time. He wrote a book that won a Pulitzer, was turned into a long-running Broadway play and a movie, and he wrote it ... in a month. And that one wasn't Hiroshima!

He was so hugely successful that he was the object of schadenfreude from John F. Kennedy (whose girlfriend Hersey wooed away)!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2098 on: April 25, 2019, 08:58:26 am »
I started reading Nicholas Lemann's piece about John Hersey. Wow, what an amazing guy. He worked closely with practically every famous person of his time. He wrote a book that won a Pulitzer, was turned into a long-running Broadway play and a movie, and he wrote it ... in a month. And that one wasn't Hiroshima!

He was so hugely successful that he was the object of schadenfreude from John F. Kennedy (whose girlfriend Hersey wooed away)!

Is this online (only)? I'm still making my way through the April 15 issue, and I don't have the April 22 issue with me here at work.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2099 on: April 25, 2019, 08:40:16 pm »
It might be online but I’m reading it in the 4/29 issue. Don’t think I’m that up to date. I’m sure my pile contains issues going back to at least October.