Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1921934 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker: Brokeback Mountain By Annie Proulx, October 13, 1997
« Reply #1330 on: December 07, 2015, 09:09:20 pm »

A selection of stories from The New Yorker’s archive

Looks like you beat me by two hours, John. I just saw this in my email and came here to post about it. I'm glad you got here first -- I was just going to write a quick comment, but your presentation is much better.

Thank you!  :-*

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1331 on: January 26, 2016, 02:26:40 pm »
I'm surprised no New Yorker reader/Downton Abbey fan has mentioned the back cover of the Jan. 4 issue, "The Dowager's View of the World."  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1332 on: January 28, 2016, 02:33:59 pm »
With all that I've had going on of late, I just realized that I haven't gotten a magazine since the issue cover dated Jan. 4.  :o  I need to call customer service.  >:(

Coincidentally, that's the end-subscription date on my mailing label.  >:(

A couple of months ago, I need to update my credit card information for automatic renewal. I couldn't get the web site to work for me, so I phoned customer service. I bet that's what has my subscription screwed up.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1333 on: January 28, 2016, 06:52:34 pm »
I didn't receive this week's issue yet (cover date Feb 1). I am feeling put out about it because R. received his two days ago and is ahead of me in reading!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1334 on: February 01, 2016, 03:29:37 pm »
With all that I've had going on of late, I just realized that I haven't gotten a magazine since the issue cover dated Jan. 4.  :o  I need to call customer service.  >:(

Coincidentally, that's the end-subscription date on my mailing label.  >:(

A couple of months ago, I need to update my credit card information for automatic renewal. I couldn't get the web site to work for me, so I phoned customer service. I bet that's what has my subscription screwed up.  >:(

Well, I telephoned Customer Service at The New Yorker this afternoon, and, indeed, my subscription had been canceled--and Customer Service could not explain why or how. My subscription is to be restarted, though I won't see an issue until the one to be cover dated Feb. 22.   >:(

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #1335 on: February 10, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »
Question for you New Yorker fans:

Who is/are the writers who cover music/culture for the magazine? I have a pretty big classical music event coming up, and I think they might be interested.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1336 on: February 10, 2016, 04:20:56 pm »
Question for you New Yorker fans:

Who is/are the writers who cover music/culture for the magazine? I have a pretty big classical music event coming up, and I think they might be interested.

Alex Ross seems to be the main writer on classical music right now, if I remember correctly.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #1337 on: February 10, 2016, 08:34:43 pm »
Alex Ross seems to be the main writer on classical music right now, if I remember correctly.

Thank you.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1338 on: February 10, 2016, 10:40:20 pm »
There's also the "Goings on about town" section, of which the Classical Music subsection comes first. I've noticed that there are quite a few more opera events mentioned lately. For things going on outside of NYC, there's the "Above & Beyond" section. It says to address all editorial and other correspondence to The New Yorker, 1 World Trade Center, New York, NY 10007 and more information is available on the web site at newyorker.com

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1339 on: February 13, 2016, 04:39:05 pm »
I have tried and tried to read the latest fiction by George Saunders called "Mother's Day" but I just can't finish it. Saunders covers the strange lives of suburbanites a la John Updike but there is just something so. . .mean spirited about it.