Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1922330 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1410 on: May 19, 2016, 01:11:53 pm »
Well, I just read Lauren Collins' article on Melania Trump in the May 9 issue. I've already read the article about the Nazis' stolen treasure hidden in Poland, and Hilton Als' review of Long Day's Journey Into Night. I don't know that there's anything else in this issue that interests me. Is there anything else in the issue I should read?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1411 on: May 19, 2016, 09:22:29 pm »
I enjoyed the article "Hive Mind" on Samantha Bee by Emily Nussbaum on page 72.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1412 on: May 27, 2016, 12:43:06 pm »
I wasn't going to read the Billy Eichner article (May 23). I'd heard of him, had a vague and, it turns out, close but not quite accurate idea of what he did in Billy on the Street, and the article subtitle on the TOC page, "Billy Eichner's assaultive comedy," was not encouraging, but then I was turning the page and my eye caught the phrase, "Eichner knew he was gay," and I thought, Oh, shit, I guess I should read this. Sense of tribal solidarity and duty, I guess. So I read it, but it could be skipped with no loss.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1413 on: May 28, 2016, 11:41:23 am »
I wasn't going to read the Billy Eichner article (May 23). I'd heard of him, had a vague and, it turns out, close but not quite accurate idea of what he did in Billy on the Street, and the article subtitle on the TOC page, "Billy Eichner's assaultive comedy," was not encouraging, but then I was turning the page and my eye caught the phrase, "Eichner knew he was gay," and I thought, Oh, shit, I guess I should read this. Sense of tribal solidarity and duty, I guess. So I read it, but it could be skipped with no loss.

I may skip the article, but I've seen Billy Eichner a few times (he was a regular on Parks and Recreation in the last season or two, and I've seen snippets of Street) and he's pretty funny.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1414 on: May 28, 2016, 12:34:03 pm »
The New Yorker has been the target of outrage lately, which seems rare. First there was a huge outcry over a poem about Chinese food by Calvin Trillin that was supposed to be light Trillinesque satire of foodies but among Asian Americans was widely seen as racist. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/04/04/have-they-run-out-of-provinces-yet-by-calvin-trillin

Now today, there's this harsh takedown of an online piece about transgender bathrooms. It's a little confusing since I didn't read the original article and I'm not up on the latest in transgender bathroom law. But the author considers the piece deeply flawed in a logical and legal way as well as transphobic. http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/05/27/jeannie_suk_s_newyorker_com_article_was_sloppy_and_inaccurate.html

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1415 on: May 29, 2016, 04:44:12 pm »
But here's a fun treat! In honor of the Summer Fiction Issue, the New Yorker emailed me a selection of some memorable short stories. Two are among my all-time favorites. I can't remember the George Saunders' one, but if I read it that would be up there, too. I love George Saunders' fiction. One of these I have praised on this very thread! http://www.newyorker.com/newsletter/issue/the-sunday-newsletter-political-outsiders?mbid=nl_Sunday%20Longreads%20%2839%29&CNDID=26521759&spMailingID=8987647&spUserID=MTA5MjQwNDczMzI2S0&spJobID=922826207&spReportId=OTIyODI2MjA3S0

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1416 on: June 01, 2016, 09:27:53 pm »
Over lunch today I read the article about the goings-on at Oberlin (May 30). The experience of Roger Copeland, discussed on pp. 53-54, is similar to something that happened to a friend of mine who taught at a local college. My friend has now retired from teaching.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1417 on: June 02, 2016, 11:25:41 am »
I recommend the June 6 and 13 article about the Muslim tamale seller who lived in Sheridan, Wyoming, and what has happened now that his descendants have attempted to create a mosque in Gillette.

Does make me think that perhaps Wyoming is not a place I would want to retire to after all.  :(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1418 on: June 03, 2016, 09:34:15 pm »
Does make me think that perhaps Wyoming is not a place I would want to retire to after all.  :(

Well, I haven't read the article but if the point is that the Muslims faced prejudice, it's no surprise that Wyoming isn't a hotbed of tolerance. In fact, I believe I saw a movie about that once. Or rather, 21 times.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1419 on: June 03, 2016, 11:46:10 pm »
Well, I haven't read the article but if the point is that the Muslims faced prejudice, it's no surprise that Wyoming isn't a hotbed of tolerance. In fact, I believe I saw a movie about that once. Or rather, 21 times.

You should read it. The thing is, the family has been there since the early twentieth century, and the patriarch was a long-time fixture of the Sheridan community, and nobody bothered them until one asshole took it upon himself to stir things up.

So I guess that's all it takes. One asshole.

Substitute one elderly retired gay man for a Muslim family. ...