Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1923199 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1430 on: July 04, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
New Yorker copyediting, circa 1962 (sentences are sequential in the article):

This astonishing statement served to confirm a long-held conviction of Sara Murphy’s that Fitzgerald knew very little about people, and nothing at all about the Murphy’s.

Now in their seventies, the Murphys today are not inclined to think very much about the past.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1962/07/28/living-well-is-the-best-revenge?mbid=nl_Sunday%20Longreads%20(43)&CNDID=26521759&spMailingID=9109776&spUserID=MTA5MjQwNDczMzI2S0&spJobID=942390854&spReportId=OTQyMzkwODU0S0

So it wasn't perfect. But we all know reputation and reality often differ.

I should have used this weekend to catch up on TNY. Instead I've used it to read one of Margaret Coel's Wind River Mysteries (see the Longmire thread in my blog). It was like revisiting Riverton, Lander, and Dubois, and I think maybe I needed that more than I needed to read TNY.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1431 on: July 05, 2016, 12:08:37 pm »
The article "The Shadow Doctors" by Ben Taub

I'm reading this article now. It's just horrible. And Vladimir Putin, whom Donald Trump so admires, refuses to countenance regime change in Syria. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1432 on: July 12, 2016, 08:35:41 pm »
I am reading George Saunders' article about Trump supporters in the July 11 & 18 issue. I am finding it very depressing--but also very important, so I will continue to push through it, even though I can only read small parts of it at a time.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1433 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:35 am »
I am reading George Saunders' article about Trump supporters in the July 11 & 18 issue. I am finding it very depressing--but also very important, so I will continue to push through it, even though I can only read small parts of it at a time.

I'm doing the exact same thing!

I'm reading it in small pieces because 1) it's practically as long as John Hersey's Hiroshima, 2) it's not the first or even the second but the THIRD long takeout piece about Trump rallies I've read this election by horrified left-leaning writerly types and 3) I'm so sick of the whole subject.

But you're right, it's depressing, too. Trump is not going to win, I don't think. But the very fact that so many of our fellow Americans support him is bad enough.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1434 on: July 13, 2016, 09:35:37 am »
I'm doing the exact same thing!

I'm reading it in small pieces because 1) it's practically as long as John Hersey's Hiroshima, 2) it's not the first or even the second but the THIRD long takeout piece about Trump rallies I've read this election by horrified left-leaning writerly types and 3) I'm so sick of the whole subject.

But you're right, it's depressing, too. Trump is not going to win, I don't think. But the very fact that so many of our fellow Americans support him is bad enough.

As depressing as it is, I will stick with it because I'm finding it very educational about why people support Trump, and I appreciated the part where he shows how people selectively use the facts that support their preconceived beliefs and ignore others.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1435 on: July 13, 2016, 09:52:42 am »

You can say that twice and mean it

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1436 on: July 14, 2016, 01:25:13 pm »
Spoiler Alert:

Well, as depressing as I find the George Saunders article, this did make me laugh out loud:

"A group of anti-Trump college students in Eau Claire concocted the perfect Zen protest: singing and dancing en masse to Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody.'"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1437 on: July 19, 2016, 08:58:59 pm »

I'm wondering if I missed this issue. What's on the cover?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1438 on: July 19, 2016, 09:59:44 pm »
I'm wondering if I missed this issue. What's on the cover?

A father and kids at the beach.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1439 on: July 20, 2016, 09:20:53 am »
A father and kids at the beach.

Yep, it's a father and three kids at the beach. I'm at the office now, and I have the issue in front of me.

Mail delivery to my building has been really lousy this week, and I haven't, as of yesterday, received the July 25 issue yet. I'm actually done with 11 &18, so I'm going to have to read the AARP Bulletin over lunch today.  ;D