Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1925428 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #1440 on: July 21, 2016, 09:33:09 am »
Haha, I get the AARP Bulletin too! Maybe we should start a new discussion thread for it!  ::)

Actually, my mother gets it at my address.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1441 on: July 21, 2016, 10:47:25 am »
The July 25 issue arrived yesterday. I started the article on being white in American over dinner last evening.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1442 on: July 29, 2016, 10:58:49 pm »
The July 25 issue arrived yesterday. I started the article on being white in American over dinner last evening.

Wait, what? I must have the 7/25 issue, but I missed that. I'll look for it -- sounds interesting!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1443 on: August 08, 2016, 08:29:43 pm »
I've always said how much I enjoy Jill Lepore's articles (Aug. 8 & 15), but some of the things that people said to her at the RNC left me very, very depressed.  :(

Fortunately, there is Lauren Collins' article in the same issue, about learning French, which is very amusing.  :)

I hope Chrissi doesn't come back from her family vacation with Kummerspeck.  ;D

And I guess I'm a Pilkunnussija.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1444 on: August 08, 2016, 10:40:19 pm »
Yes, I was also depressed by her RNC article and couldn't finish it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1445 on: August 10, 2016, 01:33:00 pm »
Well, Jon Lee Anderson's article is quite different from what he usually writes! Instead of some too-long piece about politics in the Middle East, it's about contact with some Indigenous People in the Peruvian Amazon, and I'm finding it quite interesting. So far it's like an adventure story.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1446 on: August 11, 2016, 01:29:41 pm »
I finished the Jon Lee Anderson--sort of fizzles out--and read Tessa Hadley's short story. I confess I read her because I think that's such a wonderful name, Tessa Hadley. Sounds so "Downton Abbey"-esque.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1447 on: August 14, 2016, 01:59:05 pm »
Hmm. I've finished the Aug. 8 & 15 issue, but I haven't yet received the Aug. 22 issue, so I guess I will have to start another Tony Hillerman paperback at lunch tomorrow.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1448 on: August 14, 2016, 07:09:16 pm »
How did you like the Tessa Hadley story, Jeff? I'm beginning the one by Lauren Collins on marriage to a Frenchman.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1449 on: August 16, 2016, 09:44:32 am »
How did you like the Tessa Hadley story, Jeff? I'm beginning the one by Lauren Collins on marriage to a Frenchman.

It was all right. Not particularly memorable--no "Brokeback Mountain," that's for sure--I bet it's an excerpt from a forthcoming novel--but not a waste of time to read, either.

Lauren Collins' adventures in a foreign language are not as amusing as David Sedaris.'