Author Topic: In the New Yorker...  (Read 1913132 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: In the New Yorker...
« Reply #2130 on: June 24, 2019, 11:46:30 am »
"Omnibus" is the dative plural case of "omnis" (all) in Latin, so it means "for all".  Initially it was the French "voiture omnibus":  carriage for all.

Oh, I get it. It's not "for all" because it's a lot of people at once, it's "for all" because anyone can use it -- they don't have to own the voiture.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2131 on: June 27, 2019, 01:40:32 pm »
I would be interested to read opinions on the June 24 article about menopause.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2132 on: June 28, 2019, 01:41:14 pm »
At lunch today I read the article about the gay pop star Troye Sivan (June 24). I'd heard the name somewhere, so I checked out the article.

Anyway, I had to laugh when I read the sentence, "The accompanying music video ... spliced images of Sivan resting his had on the bare chest of his boyfriend, the model Jacob Bixenman. ..."

I said to myself, "Of course a gay pop star is going to have a model for a boyfriend."  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2133 on: June 28, 2019, 01:49:41 pm »
I said to myself, "Of course a gay pop star is going to have a model for a boyfriend."  :laugh:

:laugh:  It's the eternal show-biz rule across genders and orientations, right?

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, for example, both married models (Mick is long divorced from Jerri Hall; Keith has been married to Patti Hanson for decades.) Bowie and Iman would be another example.

The Stones come to mind especially because I just made an overnight whirlwind trip to Chicago to see them. The ticket and hotel room were free, so all I had to pay for was $260 plane fare -- not ideal, since it was same-day flying, but could be worse. And the ticket was cheaper than either the room or the ticket would have been by themselves.

It was kind of crazy, because it was so last-minute and even the ticket was a splurge. But it could easily be their last tour and I like to think I"m not too old to be madcap now and then.  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2134 on: June 28, 2019, 01:52:56 pm »
:laugh:  It's the eternal show-biz rule across genders and orientations, right?

I guess it is!  :laugh:

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and the concert.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2135 on: June 29, 2019, 12:51:41 am »
I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and the concert.  :)

Thsnks!  :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2136 on: July 09, 2019, 07:10:50 pm »
Not a total rule; David Furnish was an ad executive before becoming the husband of pop star Elton John.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2137 on: July 12, 2019, 01:21:10 pm »
I was completely charmed by "Mueller's Mouseketeers" (Talk of the Town, July 8 & 15). Three Disney descendants financed a dramatization of the Mueller Report that was called "The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in Ten Acts," where stars read verbatim from Mueller's report. And what a cast! John Lithgow, Joel Grey, Jason Alexander, Michael Shannon, Annette Bening, Kevin Kline, Alfre Woodard, Alyssa Milano, and Piper Perabo. This wasn't just reading; this was reading as acting and characterization with the report as the script (e.g., John Lithgow was Trump, Jason Alexander was former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie). I would have loved to have seen that show!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2138 on: July 17, 2019, 12:07:00 pm »
Thanks to a two-week issue, I am once again entirely caught up on my issues of the magazine.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2139 on: July 17, 2019, 02:41:13 pm »
I was completely charmed by "Mueller's Mouseketeers" (Talk of the Town, July 8 & 15). Three Disney descendants financed a dramatization of the Mueller Report that was called "The Investigation: A Search for the Truth in Ten Acts," where stars read verbatim from Mueller's report. And what a cast! John Lithgow, Joel Grey, Jason Alexander, Michael Shannon, Annette Bening, Kevin Kline, Alfre Woodard, Alyssa Milano, and Piper Perabo. This wasn't just reading; this was reading as acting and characterization with the report as the script (e.g., John Lithgow was Trump, Jason Alexander was former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie). I would have loved to have seen that show!

I'm watching it now at https://impeachdonaldtrumpnow.org/2019/06/27/watch-now-the-investigation/
"chewing gum and duct tape"