Author Topic: "It ain't right."  (Read 27009 times)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
Re: "It ain't right."
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 03:30:20 pm »
And that thing about the truck facing the wrong way, it's also in the wrong location.  The truck was not even on the lot where Aguirre's office was.  It was on a driveway/lot to the right of an old stucco building.  That was the same driveway/lot that Jack drove out off the very next summer when he came looking for that job again.

That is what really gets me!!  It's an entirely different parking lot all together and not the butchers shop building where he originally pulls in to.  *shrugs* Guess we aren't supposed to know how he ended up there  :)
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 04:22:18 pm »

There is nearly a whole day between the time we see Jack parking the car, and the next morning when they are trucked up to the jump-off point. So Jack could possibly have moved the car later that day. Perhaps Ennis helped him try to fix it. Or perhaps he took Ennis for a trip to see the sights of Signal.  :D

I am with Mikaela on this one.  Obviously Jack drove his truck between the time he first parked it the morning of the meeting with Aguirre, and the next morning when they were trucked up to the jump-off spot.  Hell he mighta parked it facin out just in case it wouldn't start two or three months down the road and he needed a boost or a tow.  That Twist he's a real thinker, y'know!

Now here is one that I have been waiting for someone to bring up for three months now, and I have never seen it mentioned yet....  Jack summons Ennis to the tent, and Ennis crawls in to the tent and crashes right away.  We never see him tie the little ties on the tent flap, but shortly after when he and Jack get frisky, the tent ties are neatly tied!!  :o   Hmmmmm!  how unusual!  ??? how insignificant!!!  hahahaha.  I guess taken in context with what is happenin in the scene, this has hardly been worth mentioning, up until now, that is!   ;D ;D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 07:03:34 pm »
Ennis's little snow dance bugs me. It looks goofy (and it's the only time in the entire movie that Ennis looks goofy), and it doesn't seem to fit with Ennis's stoic character. Jack, now, I could see doing a goofy snow dance... at least, if Ennis was nearby and Jack thought he could tease out that smile of Ennis's. But Ennis? No way.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 07:41:59 pm »
Ennis' little snow dance...

OK, I'll never look at that scene the same way again!  :) Being from the land of ice and snow I guess I just accepted it as him waking up freezing and just moving around to warm up a little, but I like "snow dance" better.  :D

Hey, Jake - Why would Jack obviously have moved the truck? They were pretty busy drinking, and since both of them had just ridden/driven quite a ways (Ennis , anyway - looks like he started off in the night to get where he was going) I'm not sure they would have gone driving around town. Clearly somebody moved it, if it isn't even in the same parking lot (which I hadn't noticed), but why do you think it was obvious that they did? Just curious.  ;)

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2006, 08:17:56 pm »
Hi tamarack,

The reason I said obviously they moved it, is because it was moved.  It was moved, right? ;D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2006, 08:58:01 pm »
A-men and Yeehaw to that!  ;)

I have to agree with you there, Rayn.  It's something I've put down to "dramatic license" ever since my first viewing.  :P

Yes, you're right Meryl.  "Drama requires a willing suspension of disbelief."

Rayn

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2006, 09:03:09 pm »
Hi tamarack,

The reason I said obviously they moved it, is because it was moved.  It was moved, right? ;D

J

Fair enough - I was emphasizing "they" in my mind and you were emphasizing "moved". Yep, it definitely moved!  ;)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 09:34:51 pm »
I'm from the land of snow & ice too (same part, actually, tamarack :) well, originally; I've moved around a lot since I was little). But though I've seen people stomping their feet, I've never seen anyone quite so energetic about it. Especially after just waking up, really cold, in a tent! I know Ennis can move fast, but I know I would have moaned, closed my eyes and hoped I was having a bad dream, then slowly dragged myself out of the tent, cursing and groaning the whole time. ;D

Hey, Jake - Why would Jack obviously have moved the truck? They were pretty busy drinking, and since both of them had just ridden/driven quite a ways (Ennis , anyway - looks like he started off in the night to get where he was going) I'm not sure they would have gone driving around town. Clearly somebody moved it, if it isn't even in the same parking lot (which I hadn't noticed), but why do you think it was obvious that they did? Just curious.  ;)

In the story, they had to be trucked up to the trailhead; I just figured that Jack drove his truck to someplace where Aguirre said he could park it for the summer.

There's a screenplay draft in which Jack and Ennis sleep in Jack's truck the night before they head out with the sheep. (Except that apparently Ang Lee had to sit in for Jack, because Jake had other commitments for a short time in the middle of shooting. And Heath and Ang couldn't play the scene without laughing. Or something like that.) I'm glad that wasn't in the movie, and we don't see them sleeping close to one another before the first tent scene.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2006, 09:56:46 pm »
If we're going to make fun of the way Ennis moves, then how about the little shuffle that he did at the apartment when he was waiting for Jack to show up after 4 years? He was heading for the kitchen and it was something weird between a walk and a  ??? -I don't know what to call it! Almost like he was falling forward and trying to walk fast enough to catch himself.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2006, 10:41:24 pm »
Two more examples of Ennis' goofy movements as semi-comic relief: when he stumbles into the tent before TS1 and knocks over a pot (which we now know has symbolic meaning). And when he's washing dishes in the river during the "you're a real thinker" scene and he loses hold of a pot and it starts to float down the river (again, symbolic meaning).