Author Topic: "It ain't right."  (Read 27012 times)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: "It ain't right."
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2006, 04:00:08 pm »
Personally, I'm not at all angry. And in fact, 2robots4u, that has been said before -- plenty of times!

People deal with the movie in different ways. The common denominator is that we all came here because we were interested enough in the movie to spend time and energy discussing it. Some like interpreting the symbols, some like analyzing the characters' motivations, some like figuring out the ambiguous parts, some like writing fan fic, some like drooling over Jake and Heath, some like discussing their own "real life" issues, some like forming a community with other Brokies, some like "picking out EVERY little inconsistency in the time line and story line," some like "enjoying the movie for the movie's sake"  ... and so on.

Many people -- myself, for instance -- do more than one of the above. To each his/her own!

Second ditto.  I love this movie so much and I'm here to do a little of everything.  I think it's great that we can discuss every aspect of it.  This movie is way to powerful to be kept inside, and since I'm the only one in my family who watched it, I need to let it out somewhere before I burst.  This site is the perfect spot.  I felt so alone then until now.

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2006, 05:09:50 pm »
Hmm… I’ve read about the ‘goofs’ in the film, none of which bother me because I can indeed suspend my disbelief and because I so love the film. 

The last scene with Alma Jr and Ennis I think was realistic and poignant. No matter how close a child is to his/her parent, for a while when they are teenagers they just aren’t around much because their peers are more important. Lots of parents think boy/girl friends are ‘interchangeable’ and don’t pay that much attention. You’re right, Ennis was focusing on his grief and not paying attention to who Jr was dating. In his mind he probably considered her too young to be serious about someone.

The snow scene with Ennis where he ‘dances’ around wasn't as funny once I read some different interpretations. In many Asian cultures the color white symbolizes death. The white washed house of the Twists with their dead son, the dad’s cold attitude, Jack’s empty room, all embody death I think. The snow scene was interpreted as a portent to Jack’s death as Ennis is alone, isolated, confused, and frightened. After all, they are going to come down the mountain and he'll lose Jack for 4 years.

The scene where Ennis picks up the supplies (before they run into the bear) and he says why didn't they get the powdered milk and the spuds? He's indignant but stammering, not quite able to get the words out - I find that amusing.

Another discrepancy, when Jack is taking the prize-winning ride on Sleepy, he switches arms: left right left….

:P For repeat viewings of BBM, I fast-forward the scene where Cassie meets him and again when she sees him after he’s been out of touch. I even skip over “The Devil’s Right Hand” on the CD cause I don’t like it. There was WAY too much Cassie in the film.

I think I can safely speak for all BBM fans when I say we woulda liked to have seen this scene from the book in the movie!
"Ennis put his arm around Jack, pulled him close… Jack slid his cold hand between Ennis’s legs… ‘I used a want a boy for a kid,’ said Ennis, undoing buttons.” All the while they are having an ordinary conversation about their kids. This scene ends with them rolling in the dirt.
Little Bobby bugs me, too! Of all the cute kids in the world, he isn’t one of them. The whole scene seems off.  ??? And Lureen tells him to eat his dinner BEFORE the turkey is carved! Plus WHAT is that bowl of slop Bobby is eating??

“Could you wipe Alma Jr’s nose?” She’s in the other room!! I know the kid has a cold but how does she know it needs wiping right then?

Richardg49: “Didn't you think it odd that there were no Bettermost Beans on any of the shelves in Monroe's grocery store? Given the fact that they featured prominently in the earlier mountain scenes, it would have been appropriate to have placed a stack of them somewhere in the background in that scene. I think this was definitely a missed opportunity on the part of the set-decoration crew. What do you think?”

all I can say is  I'm sicka beans!  NO MORE BEANS!!

mvansand76

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2006, 10:10:24 am »
Richardg49: “Didn't you think it odd that there were no Bettermost Beans on any of the shelves in Monroe's grocery store? Given the fact that they featured prominently in the earlier mountain scenes, it would have been appropriate to have placed a stack of them somewhere in the background in that scene. I think this was definitely a missed opportunity on the part of the set-decoration crew. What do you think?”

all I can say is  I'm sicka beans!  NO MORE BEANS!!

Hee hee hee, great observation!

moremojo

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2006, 08:52:53 pm »
On a light note... I don't like the hat that Ennis starts wearing as he gets older... The one that he's wearing when he meets Jack in the blue parka (when Jack's cooking the corn).  I think the hat is supposed to make Ennis look older.  Well, that definitely works.  But, I still just don't like that hat.
 :-\
I agree, this is my least favorite of all the hats seen in the film, and yet, ironically, I recently invested in an older-Ennis style hat, and have been wearing it pretty regularly. A cowboy hat, of the kind we see Jack sport throughout the movie, would just make this cityboy feel too self-conscious (though Texas born and bred). Not that I mind seeing other fellas wear them...don't mind one bit! ;)

Scott

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2006, 03:20:48 pm »
There was WAY too much Cassie in the film.

I agree with this 100 percent.  Even though I sort of like Cassie in her own right... I just don't care that much.  I would exchange a Cassie scene for another later-camping-scene with Jack and Ennis any day.  I feel like we really don't have enough information about Ennis and Jack in the later years of their relationship to even really grasp how the dynamics between them evolve.  It's a shame that Lee focuses so much attention on the tension between them too in the later years.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2006, 03:58:16 pm »
I agree with this 100 percent.  Even though I sort of like Cassie in her own right... I just don't care that much.  I would exchange a Cassie scene for another later-camping-scene with Jack and Ennis any day.  I feel like we really don't have enough information about Ennis and Jack in the later years of their relationship to even really grasp how the dynamics between them evolve.  It's a shame that Lee focuses so much attention on the tension between them too in the later years.
...and I agree with YOU 100 percent! Someone pointed out that the later scenes of Jack & Ennis, they are sitting apart from each other "like a couple of straight guys." I know sometimes it's about the camera angle, but they could have sat shoulder to shoulder, or had their legs intertwined while sitting by the fire. Lovers often rest their hands on the other person's thigh, etc. If we couldn't have another love scene we could have at least had an affection scene! Something that shows they were very familiar and comfortable with each other.
-Leslie

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2006, 09:49:48 pm »
Someone pointed out that the later scenes of Jack & Ennis, they are sitting apart from each other "like a couple of straight guys." I know sometimes it's about the camera angle, but they could have sat shoulder to shoulder, or had their legs intertwined while sitting by the fire. Lovers often rest their hands on the other person's thigh, etc. If we couldn't have another love scene we could have at least had an affection scene! Something that shows they were very familiar and comfortable with each other.
-Leslie

But they do ... in TS3. It is that scene that seems very intimate and loving (albeit not near as intense or graphic as it was in the beginning of the film).
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2006, 10:53:36 pm »
I agree with you as well. The 2003 screenplay show much more scenes of later and different camping trips, BUT no FNIT OR SNIT at least from the inside.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 02:43:39 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2006, 02:47:10 pm »
I agree with this 100 percent.  Even though I sort of like Cassie in her own right... 
I do like Cassie, But after the first scene,she  could have been replaced with  more Jack and Ennis.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2006, 05:30:37 pm »
I do like Cassie, But after the first scene,she  could have been replaced with  more Jack and Ennis.

I agreed also.  I find myself skipping some of her scenes also, but I felt she is neccessary in telling the story of Ennis' life.