Author Topic: Heath Ledger nominated for Oscar  (Read 26353 times)

retropian

Re: Heath Ledger nominated for Oscar
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 08:39:42 pm »
I'm glad to see Heath nominated. I think his performance as the Joker is already attaining legendary and iconic status. His portrayal of Ennis is already legendary. Ennis is and icon. But, I'm still not going to watch the Oscars. I'm not willing to be disappointed, again. I'll find out who won the next day. If Heath wins, and I think that's pretty likely, I can watch it on youtube, and be happy for his family.

I'm glad to see Milk and Sean Penn nominated. I hope Sean gets the best actor for his portrayal of Harvey Milk. He has a pretty good chance I think. It's great to see Anne Hathaway nominated too. So all of the principles of BBM have been nominated. Heath for best actor, and now for best supporting actor. Jake G. for best supporting actor, Michelle W. for best supporting actress, Anne H. now nominated for best actress. It would be great to see some of the actors who had smaller roles in BBM get nominated in the future. I just wish the Oscars meant more to me.

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:53:19 pm »
That's how I see it, too, Laura.  At least this year PSH will be less likely to get the award, I think, because he got his "body of work" award in 2006.  All the emotional cards are now in the hand of the Joker.  ;)

Meryl, what a beautiful new pic.

Heath absolutely deserved the Oscar for Ennis, and he absolutely deserves it for the Joker.

(agreed that the Oscars have lost their status given how they snubbed Brokeback, but it doesn't change the fact that he has rightly earned the recognition...)

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 11:21:41 am »
He should absolutely get the Oscar for his performance.  He was brilliant in the role.  Every picture I see of him lately brings tears to my eyes.  I still find it hard to believe we've lost him . . . .

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:27:17 am »
I'm glad he is nominated, I'm crossing my fingers for a win.

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 11:49:41 am »
He should absolutely get the Oscar for his performance.  He was brilliant in the role.  Every picture I see of him lately brings tears to my eyes.  I still find it hard to believe we've lost him . . . .

I still find it extremely hard as well. It's weird. His joker picture is everywhere, everyday I see at least 3 kids wearing a joker shirt. Everyone still talks about The Dark Knight, and it's brilliance (or money-making/record-breaking brilliance), the movie was just re-released today in hundreds of theaters (none too close to me, but I may just have to make the drive. I don't know if I can pass up the opportunity), yesterday the movie got 8 noms, every tv station keeps talking about Heath's nom and how he's the favorite to win, esp after his Golden Globe win. And on top of everything else, our boy still has a movie coming out, hopefully this year. After one whole year, there is still a Heath character I haven't seen yet. Geez, it's nearly impossible to completely believe he's not still with us. But, it does give me a small feeling of comfort.
 :-\
 :'( :'( :'(

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 04:31:06 pm »
Heath did an awesome acting job in TDK, and I said so right after I saw it.  I posted on a thread here that he deserves and Oscar for his performance, but I was shot down by some undesirable person.  It shut me up.  But I think that if he wins the Academy Award it will be for a cumulation of his work both as the Joker in TDK and Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain.  What a terrible loss.  He was so magical. 

Offline optom3

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 11:01:16 pm »
Heath did an awesome acting job in TDK, and I said so right after I saw it.  I posted on a thread here that he deserves and Oscar for his performance, but I was shot down by some undesirable person.  It shut me up.  But I think that if he wins the Academy Award it will be for a cumulation of his work both as the Joker in TDK and Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain.  What a terrible loss.  He was so magical. 

Heath should already have an Oscar and be in the running for a second.
Coming from the U.K I rarely pay much heed to them, but I was incensed by the BBM snub. I suspect behind the ridiculous vote, sat a  group of duffers from the old guard clucking like hens and muttering , Oh dear me no, can't possibly hand out Oscars to a man acting as a closeted gay.
TDK is another matter, half the silly old codgers are probably still reading their comics tucked inside penthouse tucked inside The New York times. Muttering , now that's what real men should be like.

Both performances from Heath were IMHO quite remarkable. Heath vanished and two entirely different people emerged. Now that is what I call acting. To suspend someones belief, and draw them almost irrevocably into a new and for many never to be experienced world.The difference with Ennis and the joker, was Ennis left a very long lasting impression.He also literally changed people's lives. How many of us can honestly say that even a good friend has made a lasting and haunting impression on our lives.

I wish for an Oscar for him, not out of sympathy, but in recognition of a man who was truly unsurpassed in his craft. I grieve for all those glorious cinematic moments which will now, never come to pass. I weep for a daughter who may never know how amazing and loving her father was. Indeed how very much he doted on her. There is undoubtedly a special bond between father and daughter.That bond was iredescent in the pictures of Heath and Matilda. I hope it does not break her heart, when she is older and comes to understand what she has missed.

Most of all I grieve for a man, gone way too soon. Leaving a hole, which like the Dutch boy(in the story ) with his finger in the Dyke, is impossible to plug completely.If I am honest, I grieve for myself too. My anniversary of reading the s.s coincides with leaving England and Mr. 12 years behind. I don't think I ever mentioned that it was he who gave me the story to read. His brother is gay, and told him all about the story. Mr. 12 fell in love with it and quite rightly deduced that so would I. It is one of life's regrets that I never got to watch it with him and his brother.
However as one door closes another opens, so I ad the joy and privilege to watch it with Mandy and again with all the Brokies at the Florida gathering.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:03 pm »
Great post optom.  I couldn't have said it better myself. 

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 12:12:50 am »
Heath vanished and two entirely different people emerged.

Fiona, you just made me cry with that one summation.  Good God....  I couldn't agree more.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 06:11:38 pm »
That's often what happens with the Oscars, anyway.  Acting Oscars tend to be a cumulative, "body-of-work" awards.  (Who seriously thinks "Training Day" was Denzel Washington's best performance?)  That's part of the reason PSH won for Capote; he had such a long charater-acting track record.  (Everyone thought there was plenty of time for Heath to get his just reward.)   

:-\

Not sure it is the case that the 'body of work' is reality. PSH's 10 year care is not that long. other recent winners such as Geof Rush, Roberto Benigni, Crowe, Adrian Brody, Jamie foxx, forest whitacher, do not have long lists of film credits or long years of industry work...surely to any greater extent than Ledger had. Same with the women--Cotillard, Witherspoon, Theron, Berry, Paltrow, mcDormand ..all relative short careers and films.

By that standard, Tom Cruise would be nominated and win!  ;)

It's more a function of popularity contest, critical acclaim, political favoritism of the given year, and the massive amounts of internal vote scheming. All those things caused heath to lose 3 years ago. Now, his competition is a bit more balanced on the facts I think are in play, so he could make it.