Author Topic: Mural in the Riverton Post Office.  (Read 9421 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Mural in the Riverton Post Office.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 08:29:22 am »
Here is my mural, a gift from EDelMar and Offline Chuck. This picture was taken at the Delfelder Inn in Riverton:

I LOVE it!!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

retropian

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:33 pm »
Here is my mural, a gift from EDelMar and Offline Chuck. This picture was taken at the Delfelder Inn in Riverton:

I want one too! Where can one get a decent print?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 11:44:58 pm »

I wonder if anyone has noticed the remarkable resemblance to the picture of Jack up on
Brokeback when he was removing the thorn from the foot of the ewe.  It is almost the same
position that shows him in the mural.  He is holding the sheep in the exact position, but he is
assisting the mothers feeding a lamb in the mural.  It has to be more than a coincidence.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 10:53:09 am »
I want one too! Where can one get a decent print?
This was a special print created by EDelMar and framed by Offline Chuck just for the people who came to the Wyoming Roundup last summer. It took many hours of work to produce the print, because the actual mural hangs at ceiling level in the post office and has a chandelier hanging in front of it. So several views had to be straightened and then pieced together. I don't know of any other copies in existence. You'd think the postal service would issue a stamp, or at least a post card.

The frame was also challenging because it is an odd-size print. Chuck cut the glass himself, stained the wood to match the mural, and cut, nailed, and glued the frames. Those frames would probably be just fine even after a tornado took your house away!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 11:45:50 am »
The frame was also challenging because it is an odd-size print. Chuck cut the glass himself, stained the wood to match the mural, and cut, nailed, and glued the frames. Those frames would probably be just fine even after a tornado took your house away!

That's good to know! ;D So whenever a tornado hits my house, I'll duck and cover under the picture ;).
Seriously: I cherish it very much. I'm sure we all do!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:00 pm »

It has to be more than a coincidence.
It´s like our own little Brokeback Mystery. Very intruiging!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:51 pm »
This was a special print created by EDelMar and framed by Offline Chuck just for the people who came to the Wyoming Roundup last summer. It took many hours of work to produce the print, because the actual mural hangs at ceiling level in the post office and has a chandelier hanging in front of it. So several views had to be straightened and then pieced together. I don't know of any other copies in existence. You'd think the postal service would issue a stamp, or at least a post card.

knowing about all the work behind it, makes it all the more special :-*

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 12:27:47 pm »

Jesus H.! That man can do anything. ...

I wanna be just like him when I grow up.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 12:38:03 pm »

I just found a website about New Deal/ WPA murals and art projects. It lists famous murals by state. The page about Wyoming does include the Riverton post office mural (George Vander Sluis, "Farm Scene" 1942).  The chandelier Lee mentions is clearly visible in the pic on this website.

Here's a link to the general website:
http://www.wpamurals.com/

Here's the link to the page about Wyoming:
http://www.wpamurals.com/wyoming.htm

And, here's a link to the Riverton mural:
http://www.wpamurals.com/riverton.htm

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 12:48:47 pm »
Cool, Amanda! You are so resourceful! It musta been a cattle-person who selected and installed that chandelier, LOL!

It's interesting how many strong triangular shapes there are in this mural, beginning with the shape of the central person's ("Ennis'") legs and the line of "Jack's" arm coming down to guide the lamb. Plus all the many triangular lines of the sheep's legs, and the triangular shape of the mountains in the background. Look in between "Ennis'" legs and you'll see...a little black lamb!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"