Author Topic: Why Jack Quit Ennis  (Read 44417 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: Why Jack Quit Ennis
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2006, 04:57:13 pm »
I think it is no coincidence that we go from the “Tell you what …. the truth is …. sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it” straight to the tent scene with Ennis’ arm around Jack. Jack is fully aware that Ennis’ arm is around him. IMO, they had just made love and fell asleep while Ennis was comforting and holding Jack.

I am not sure that I understand the second part of your statement. Are you saying that Ennis has the troubled brow or Jack? Let me just put it this way …. Ennis’ arm around Jack is reminiscent of the “dozy embrace” flashback we see later. That memory is one of warmth and comfort. I think that is what Jack is feeling in the tent.

I agree with you. I dont think Jack really expects any kind of a verbal reaction from Ennis. In the book he does put his arm around him by the campfire. In the film what we see instead is Ennis and Jack in the tent, very important. I also don not think it was the only time in their 20 years that Jack stated  how much he misses Ennis, just the only one we saw.I still say this conversasion took place early on in that final trip.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2006, 01:06:22 am »
Definitely an important thread.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2006, 03:33:05 pm »
Bump to post later.
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2007, 02:28:13 am »
Bumping for posts. I just love this thread and re-read it from time to time, often bringing tears to my eyes.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2007, 04:01:24 pm »
I think maybe when Ennis says "Jack, I swear," he is telling Jack that in a do-over, Jack wouldn't have had to say, "Damn you, Ennis." 

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2007, 11:14:34 pm »
I think maybe when Ennis says "Jack, I swear," he is telling Jack that in a do-over, Jack wouldn't have had to say, "Damn you, Ennis." 

Because this time Ennis would swear and Jack wouldn't have to? (Someday I really am going to watch the movie and keep track of every time Jack swears. ;D )
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2007, 01:41:56 pm »
(Someday I really am going to watch the movie and keep track of every time Jack swears. ;D )

Sounds like a fun new thread! Swearing as a metaphor. The hidden symbolism behind "goddamn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation" and "son of a whoreson bitch." The changing shades of meaning that "Jack Fuckin Twist" undergoes in its three incarnations. And we already know who the dumbass mule is, right?

Offline angry little lawyer

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2007, 12:02:15 am »
I just "found" this thread and OMG I never reflected on the fact that while John C. Twist knew Ennis Del Mar by name, Randall was just "some rancher friend." I recently saw this movie again and was struck by the absolute cruelty of John Twist that I started crying. The only reason he's even mentioning the other "friend" is to wound Ennis. I hated him so much right then! >:(
If I take that aspirin....then I took it
-The Wisdom of 12 oz. Mouse

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2013, 04:43:44 pm »
Happy Throwback Thursday!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2013, 10:59:22 am »
Nice bump K! This really was a smart thread/ discussion. It's fun to re-read it. :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie