Author Topic: Triskaidekaphobia  (Read 12786 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Triskaidekaphobia
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 02:18:01 pm »

I voted "other"... because 13 (or 31... any combo of 3 and 1) has been a strangely lucky number in my family for a long, long time... going back at least to my grandparents on my mother's side.  There are lots of interesting coincidences through my family's history with 1 and 3's together.   So, I quite like the number 13.  I like black cats too... so, in many ways I tend to flip at least some traditional superstitions on their head. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 02:32:52 pm »
I'm not superstitious about Friday the 13th, but I have a friend who is very superstitious about it.  He has to have knee surgery sometime soon, but he wouldn't even make the call to the surgeon yesterday to schedule it and he told me that any checks he wrote out yesterday he dated today!

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 02:42:07 pm »
I voted "other"... because 13 (or 31... any combo of 3 and 1) has been a strangely lucky number in my family for a long, long time... going back at least to my grandparents on my mother's side.  There are lots of interesting coincidences through my family's history with 1 and 3's together.   So, I quite like the number 13.  I like black cats too... so, in many ways I tend to flip at least some traditional superstitions on their head. 

Heh, I'm with you.  I used to own a black cat who was very loved by me.  So now, whenever a black cat crosses my path, I can't help but feel warm fuzzies.  Love black cats and the number 13 is my lucky number.  Hmmm, are there any ladders nearby I can walk under?  ;D

injest

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 04:46:35 pm »
Heh, I'm with you.  I used to own a black cat who was very loved by me.  So now, whenever a black cat crosses my path, I can't help but feel warm fuzzies.  Love black cats and the number 13 is my lucky number.  Hmmm, are there any ladders nearby I can walk under?  ;D

this just explains SOOO much....

;D ;D

*RUNS*

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 05:11:37 pm »
this just explains SOOO much....

;D ;D

*RUNS*

You can run, but you can't hide!   Release the hounds!!!

injest

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:22 pm »
You can run, but you can't hide!   Release the hounds!!!

:o :o :o

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 11:03:22 pm »
Sadly, I checked yes.  Friday the 13th doesn't bother me especially, but I'd certainly rather not fly on the 13th, regardless of the day of the week.  ;)

Ever since digital clocks came into vogue, I've developed the habit of waiting til the display is at a number that doesn't add up to or include the number thirteen before I'll get out of bed first thing in the morning.  Guess it's a neurotic way to try to control whether it's a good day?  As you might suspect, it doesn't always work.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 12:12:20 am »
Talking about digital clocks......So many times, far too many times for it to be a coincidence, when I look at the time on a digital clock, it seems to be 11.11 or 1.01 or some other combination of ONES.

I can even be asleep and wake up, and for some unknown reason look at the clock, and so many times it is a combination of ONES.

I dont know whether it is a good omen or a bad omen.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

injest

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 12:14:40 am »
Talking about digital clocks......So many times, far too many times for it to be a coincidence, when I look at the time on a digital clock, it seems to be 11.11 or 1.01 or some other combination of ONES.

I can even be asleep and wake up, and for some unknown reason look at the clock, and so many times it is a combination of ONES.

I dont know whether it is a good omen or a bad omen.

nope not an omen! just the universe's way of saying you are number 1!!!

;D ;)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 12:00:50 pm »
That will be a bad year, according to the Aztec calendar. And Nostradamus. The end of the world in 2012, according to them. So let's all keep our fingers crossed and toes crossed, light candles, chant to the four winds, burn sage, place acorns on our window sills and brooms on our porches, throw salt over our shoulders, avoid walking under ladders and hope and pray it doesn't happen.

The Chinese calendar apparently predicts it, too.  There's a special on the History Channel about it that I've seen a couple of times.  Eek!  :o

Apparently, Earth will line up with the center of the galaxy around mid-December 2012, creating Lord knows what kind of magnetic pull and possibly touching off mega-disasters.  This is upsetting.  I hope this doesn't mean I'll miss the second Hobbit movie, which won't open until Christmas of that year!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...