Author Topic: Don't Never Order Soup...  (Read 10889 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Don't Never Order Soup...
« on: July 16, 2006, 06:58:55 pm »
Them soup boxes is hard to pack.

Well, I'm not saying never bring certain things up, but just be careful if you do. Take it from a Front-Ranger who's been in plenty of hot water in the past.

First of all, Alma and Lureen are really wonderful, wise women who just want the best for their men, always. Also, Cassie and LaShawn are the finest examples of femininity that you would ever want to come across. Mrs. Twist is always spoken about in reverent tones. She is the madonna. I'm sure Ennis's mom was a swell woman too...she sang to him. You can say any old vile thing about John Twist, L.D. Newsome, the bikers, or pretty much any guy in the movie except of course Jack and Ennis. Even Monroe.

The story, as written by Annie Proulx, is thought of as the gospel by a big chunk of the bean board, whereas there are others who don't think much of the story, but regard the movie as the last word. Be careful not to get caught in the crossfire.

Jake and Heath are the ideal models of male virility and beauty. Don't malign either one, though you can drool as much as you like over one or the other. Oh, they're intelligent and talented too, don't forget.

Jack is wind and air, and maybe water. Unless Alma's water. And Ennis is earth, that much we know. And maybe fire. Unless Lureen is fire. Lureen is red and white, and white stands for death, or purity. But red is death, or perhaps it is passion, or prosperity. But dark red is something else, and blood is red, so red must stand for death. But then what is white? Let's just go on to purple. Purple is blue and red, so it stands for Jack's death. And brown stands for Ennis, also yellow. But yellow and blue make green, so green stands for Ennis and Jack. And orange is Ennis, so the stained glass window in the church stands for Ennis and Ennis+Jack. 'nuff said.

Jack was always a bottom and Ennis was always a top. Never doubt this!

Just trying to help out here.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Don't Never Order Soup...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:26:24 pm »
The "bean board"?

???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:17:52 am »
Lee's tongue is in her cheek, methinks.  At least mostly (methinks).

I'm just glad you didn't list Jimbo on the list of men to revile.  Most people don't like him, it seems, but I think he's just a scared victim of homophobia too.

And colorwise - I think that purple is Jack (blue) + Lureen (red), hence the purple chairs at Thanksgiving, after Jack has deepened his commitment to his Texas life after the post-divorce scene.

And frankly, after reading all these color-meaning threads, today in a restaurant with a variety of cloth napkin colors, I was like, "There's a Jack napkin, there's a false Alma napkin, there's a Ennis+Jack napkin, etc."  If every color means something in BBM symbology, we can be reminded of them all dang day, all dang where.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:01:57 pm »
;D ;D ;D

I was out of town and missed this. I'd been thinking about a "symbols that can be read more than one way" thread, but I think I'll just read this one and laugh.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 05:07:43 pm »
Enjoy, Mel. And be glad U were out of town! Oh, I have something to add. Even though he never made it to his sophomore year, Ennis is very bright for his age, and a very good reader. You'll notice he completed a post card with "You bet" written very clearly and with no spelling errors, unlike Jack, who said "Say if your there." (But I'm sure Jack is very bright too.) And while we're at it, Lureen, a Tri Delt, was very eloquent and well spoken when she said, "Husbands don't never like to dance with their wives."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 06:13:31 pm »
On the other hand, Jack is a sheep, and Jake says that sheep are stupid. (Or something like that. Ummm, I have only watched the extras once.)

(It was looking like it might be bad on the highway with the horse trailer, back before I went on vacation. So I left the horse trailer behind. Besides, it wouldn't fit well on an airplane. Oh, and it looks like you had a birthday while I was on net vacation, so happy belated birthday, Lee!)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:36:18 pm »
I'd been thinking about a "symbols that can be read more than one way" thread, but I think I'll just read this one and laugh.

I'll do the same!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I had a similar idea, Mel. I've always thought it would be fun to have a thread where someone throws a thing out there -- red, water, sheep, whiskey -- and everybody else has to come up with as many symbolic meanings for it as possible. You'd supply a reason for your answer, and all answers would count as equally valid.

For example, for DANCING, answers could include "loneliness" (because Ennis and Jack feel lonely when they're dancing with Lureen and Cassie), "phony heterosexuality" (because their dancing partners -- Lureen, Cassie, LaShawn -- substitute for the men they are actually interested in) or plain old "sex" (because husbands never wanna dance with their wives, leaving LaShawn and Lureen to dance with themselves).

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 07:01:44 pm »
What fun!! It's so great to have U back, Katherine! Okay, I'll throw something out that we haven't tackled yet (that I know of) . . . telephone.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 09:39:17 pm »
Ennis: "Jack are you a sheep?"

Jack: "Let me ask Lureen"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 09:30:38 pm »
Okay, I'll throw something out that we haven't tackled yet (that I know of) . . . telephone.

Ok. I'll try. (You do realize that this post comes from the Random Interpretation Generator, aka the Mel-O-Tron, which was originally used to interpret "Sh**." Please keep the source in mind when reading this post. ;) )

Input data:

The Mel-O-Tron can only remember two appearances of a telephone in the movie, plus one oblique reference to a telephone:

1) In Aguirre's office, the telephone rings. Aguirre answers it and tells it: "No. No. Not on your f***in' life."

2) Ennis and Lureen talk on the telephone after Jack's death.

3) Oblique reference: Ennis received a call from his boss, telling him that all the heifers were calving at once.

*puts data into the Mel-O-Tron Random Interpretation Generator*

Output: The telephone represents Jack's Dreams.

Scene 1) Aguirre tells Jack's Dreams "Not on your f***in' life." This is clear foreshadowing that Jack's dream of living openly with Ennis will never come true during Jack's life.

Oblique reference: Ennis receives a telephone call telling him that baby cows are being born. This reference occurs during the first appearance of Monroe, who will eventually marry Alma after Ennis and Alma divorce. This symbolizes the potential for Ennis to have lived with Jack after Ennis's divorce; however, the telephone (Jack's Dreams) do not appear on the screen, implying that Jack's dreams just don't have a chance.

Scene 2) Ennis kisses the telephone (well, ok, he holds it to his lips) at the end of the conversation with Lureen. This is the first time we ever see Ennis with a telephone. Ennis embraces Jack's dream. Unfortunately, Jack is dead.

*the Mel-O-Tron accepts that other interpretations may be possible; however, ordering soup is completely out of the question*