Author Topic: COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD Release  (Read 56184 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: COLLECTOR'S EDITION DVD Release
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2007, 09:47:30 am »
I think he's wrong here. The shot he's talking about is not from the reunion camping trip, but from the scene on Brokeback when Ennis comes back to camp late because he encountered the bear. Can't find the pic now, but it's in the STS book and I've seen it posted here on BM too.

I think so, too--thought so when I read the commentary. And if it's the still shot I'm thinking of, I'm even thinking it might just have been a publicity photo taken when they filmed the "post-bear" scene. In the photo I'm thinking of, Jake/Jack and Ennis/Heath are laughing and smiling in such a way that just doesn't seem to me to fit with the rest of that scene--like maybe they started joking around after the scene was filmed, or something, and the publicity folks took a picture.

Still, it's a nice photo, and pleasant to think of it as a scene of Ennis and Jack actually having a good time together. Lord knows, we see little enough of that.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2007, 11:52:43 am »
Is this worth $20 to you?

Nope. Since I live in Europe, I couldn't even play the US DVDs if I wanted to buy it, which I don't.

In the photo I'm thinking of, Jake/Jack and Ennis/Heath are laughing and smiling in such a way that just doesn't seem to me to fit with the rest of that scene--like maybe they started joking around after the scene was filmed, or something, and the publicity folks took a picture.

Yeah, I had the same thoughts. It looks like Jake and Heath joking around, not Jack and Ennis. It's really a cute picture (and I can't find it right now, wanted to insert it here  :-\).

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2007, 12:29:58 am »
I just received my collector's edition DVD from Amazon this afternoon. ::) 

I thought it would at least be fun to have that facsimile of the Coming Thru postcard...  All I have to say is that even those postcards they've included seem to be of poor quality.  The photographs don't seem to be printed very well and they're too big.  They don't really feal like postcards. 
Annoying.

I haven't watched the DVDs yet so I can't comment on those at this point.
 :-\
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2007, 02:38:47 pm »
So uhm does this Collector's edition include commentary by Ang Lee and if yes, does he say anything interesting?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2007, 02:57:46 pm »
So uhm does this Collector's edition include commentary by Ang Lee and if yes, does he say anything interesting?

I haven't bought it yet Melissa, but from what I've been hearing, this "Collector's edition" is all about the postcards.  :P

Somehow this doesn't seem to  tickle my ass enough to run to Wal-mart and buy it.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2007, 03:09:04 am »
Forgive me for sounding naive... but is this supposed to be available in stores yet?
Last I heard, the release date was bumped...  but I can't find it anywhere.
From what I've read, some people have it already.
 ???
I'm from Canada, so maybe it's only available in stores in the US....
But I can't find a definite answer on this anywhere.
It could be like this... just like this...  always.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2007, 06:19:08 am »
Said earlier I might buy it in the bargain bins fer half price, in 6 months - well

Instead I found a copy a the original release fer 8.88$ in full screen and bought it. Now I have both versions (Full & Wide Screen) and feel like I'm not missin much - specially since, come ta think a it, I haven't noticed the new release package in stores either (here in Toronto), and somehow, I'm OK with not ownin the postcards - Go figure!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2007, 08:18:25 am »
Directors cut vs. collectors edition.

True.  A directors cut IS the shortened version we see in the theaters.

Too bad all movies are not released on DVD as a collectors edition with two versions of the movie.   The theater version plus a second version with the deleted scenes put back in place for the full effect.   I hate watching deleted scenes in snippets.

The restored version of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is far better to watch restored to its full length.    They didn't put the additional scenes on a bonus disc.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #208 on: February 07, 2007, 09:52:22 am »
Too bad all movies are not released on DVD as a collectors edition with two versions of the movie.   The theater version plus a second version with the deleted scenes put back in place for the full effect.   I hate watching deleted scenes in snippets.

The restored version of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is far better to watch restored to its full length.    They didn't put the additional scenes on a bonus disc.

Don't you think, though, David, that this is a kind of "movie-specific" thing that almost "should be decided on a movie-by-movie basis"?

I take your point about watching deleted scenes in snippets, but don't you think that what might work, or at least be OK, for a comedy like It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World might be wrong--possibly even disastrous--for a tragic drama like Brokeback Mountain?

I'd love to see "the hippie scene." I'd love to see more footage of Ennis and Jack having fun being together. But I've thought about this a lot and finally decided, for myself, and almost reluctantly, that adding back "the hippie scene" would probably do a serious disservice to the movie Ang Lee crafted--throw off the rhythm and pacing, alter the tone or jar with the tone of the rest of the movie, that sort of thing.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

mvansand76

« Reply #209 on: February 07, 2007, 10:47:33 am »
But I would still like to see them! :)

Sorry to repeat my question, but does this Collector's edition include commentary by Ang Lee and if yes, does he say anything interesting?