Author Topic: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC  (Read 89796 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Tell ya what...we're doing a Brokie Brunch in NYC
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2006, 11:22:00 am »
Oh my goodness! It seems like you guys had an amazing time! More stories, pics and especially the audio please!!!

XX
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #181 on: April 30, 2006, 11:27:58 am »
Oh quit, you guys!  I'm lusting for those action figures almost as much as I lust after movie Jack & Ennis!  ;D

We didn't bring our Frodolls, Mel.  Didn't want to scare them sheep off!  ;D  (I'll bet they'd look adorable in cowboy hats, though.)  ;D

Becks, I'll look forward to meeting you one of these days.  And don't worry about whether you're an exciting person--a big smile and love for BBM are all you need to have a great time!  :D

LOL at Kirk's first brunch picture!  And a very nice picture it is.   8)

Sarah and I are off to have lunch in Heath Country (aka Brooklyn) and soak up the Ennis vibes.  Any NYers want to meet us there?  PM me before 1:00.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2006, 11:29:22 am »
I interrupt this great discussion of action figures to bring you my report on the events of yesterday.

Thanks to Meryl, Juan, Kirk, David, and Philly Jeff for posting such great descriptions so far. (And for the link to my site in your post Juan! Sorry you didn't know about it before. I'll make an announcement somewhere around here for people who didn't know.)

So, as they said, I, along with everyone else who actually lives in New York, got there later than all those who came by planes and trains. We were in the bar area for a little while, very happily surprised when they put on the Brokeback soundtrack for us. I guess we were kinda obvious. LOL. After Jeff from Hoboken came (and though he's been absent from here for lo these many weeks, he promised to come over and register. So you better show Jeff! You're missed!), we were seated at our booth. Presents were passed around. I got my two little dogs from Sarah (no .30-.30 though--dang it!),and my bandana from Meryl, but in my attempt to "break in" my bandana, I crumpled it all up and kinda ruined it, temporarily. But Meryl was kind enough to give me another  :-*

After Kirk and Pete got set up on the conference call, I brought out my little harmonica (sans dents) and brought some smiles to people's faces when I started trying to play "if you want to sing out, sing out" (emphasis on the word "trying"). This was repeated for Anke much later when she interviewed me for the recording project that will hopefully be up for your listening pleasure later today, or maybe when she gets back to Germany. I am not a good interview, tho, so I hope she edits out 90% of what I said. I was all nervous and stupid!

It was great talking to Kirk and Pete in San Fran (and they called me at exactly the same time, so you know that the Brokie Gods had a hand in it), and everyone else there of course. It was too bad I couldn't really be in on all the conversations that happened at the far end of the table, but all the more reason to meet again. I was especially taken by Jeff Wrangler's photos from the movie, including lots of great shots I'd never seen. Thank you for bringing them, Jeff.

Speaking of pics, we got lots of great ones of us (can't wait to see them posted) and yes, Kirk and Pete are in just about every one -- like Jack said, we can do our marriage over the phone! After we ate, we headed over to the Whiskey Dust store, where I had a blast trying on different belt buckles for strummin. The hats were great too, but man, they ain't kiddin--they were expensive! I saw one for $210, and Anke said some of them were $400! I wonder how much Jack and Ennis had to pay for theirs?

The best part was when David called over to me about trying on a flat topped "Joe Aguirre" type hat, and I yelled back, "No!" (I admit, I forgot to add, 'not on your fuckin life!') and this random guy who was not part of our group looks at me and says, "that Joe Aguirre ain't got no right makin us do somethin against the rules." !! I love it--brokies are everywhere! Hoboken Jeff and Juan left our party around then and we had our goodbye hugs. I was glad Juan got to look at the Oscars promo book that I brought to share.

When we got outside the Western wear store I started whoopin and yeehaawin for joy cause of my new belt buckle, and Anke had to calm me down, saying, "Jenny, this thing grabs hold of us, at the wrong time, and in the wrong place..." LOL.

At the fourth stop we made, Chummley's (all still the west village) we got to talkin and drinkin some more, and then the Daughters of the American Revolution descended on us with their tri-pointed Revolutionary War hats and flutes! I thought we were weird, but man...some people! We lamented again the fact that Jake has left town, cause we were in prime Gyllenhaal territory that whole day--and Jake recently shaved the beard off, so we were doublely heart-broken that he skipped town on us now that his sexy face is visible again.

It was another case of the Brokie Gods stepping in to bestow their blessings upon us when, on our way to stop #5, we ran into Jeff from Hoboken about 2 hours after he'd left us to go to the anti-war protests--there he was, crossing the street towards us! We made our way to Marakas, where my friend Antonia (whom I saw the movie with on opening night) met us for more drinks and dinner.

I tried valiantly to get everyone to come and do some Karaokeing with me, but like Anke said, "it ain't gonna be like that." And David added, "if you promise I don't have to saaaang!"

So, quite a day we had! It was so great to meet you all, and though it's always a different experience to talk in a big group of people in a loud room than to post and read from home, I am always up for a brokie gathering, any time, any place. That's some high class entertainment, if you ask me.

Love to all, and best wishes for John, whose presence we missed dearly (along with Paul and DeeDee!),

Jenny
 ;)

Meryl, Ima coming too! I'll call you now.

Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2006, 01:33:46 pm »
No food, shopping, or NYC adventures for me.  Just an hour on the phone and I had a blast!

As Jeff said, not much to add.  I just wanted to say how much I loved chatting with you all, putting voices and personalities with the names and pictures, and getting to be a part of a great Brokie event.  Thanks to Jenny for the generous use of her phone and Pete for setting up the conference call.

I get to post the first picture!

Kirk

Um ... yeah ... mighty purdy, Kirk. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #184 on: May 01, 2006, 07:16:30 am »
Cutest pic I've seen of you so far Kirk.  They just keep getting purdier! ;)

LOL at Kirk's first brunch picture!  And a very nice picture it is.   8)

Um ... yeah ... mighty purdy, Kirk. ...

:-*

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #185 on: May 01, 2006, 07:36:50 am »
Kirk,   I was thinking of another BBM picture you could recreate..  Do you live near any streams?      :laugh: 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #186 on: May 01, 2006, 09:18:10 am »
Kirk,   I was thinking of another BBM picture you could recreate..  Do you live near any streams?      :laugh: 

David, as I said on Saturday, I like the way you think!  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #187 on: May 01, 2006, 09:46:25 am »
Hi folks, just thought I'd report on our expedition to Heath Country.  Sarah and I met Jenny out there at 2:00 and had lunch at a nice French cafe.  The weather was beautiful, and lots of people were out and about.  We strolled up and down the street where we think Heath and Michelle live, though we don't really know any specifics.  Saw a few men with strollers, and even a house with boxes of Huggies (diapers) on the stoop, but no luck seeing Our Boy.  Still, it was nice to feel his vibes.    8)

On the subway on the way home, Sarah and I saw a funny ad.  A bearded, teary-eyed guy in a cowboy hat was clutching a teddy bear dressed in jeans and a bandanna.   The caption was "I wish I could quit you!"  It was an ad for Manhattan Mini-Storage.  ;D

Today Sarah and I are meeting Anke and going somewhere interesting for lunch.  Anke flies home to Germany tonight, and Sarah flies back to England tomorrow night.  What will I do with myself?  Catch up online at last!  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #188 on: May 01, 2006, 10:00:37 am »
Not much more to add about the brunch, you guys described it perfectly - except to say that I had a GREAT time meeting all of you!    I stumbled home completely exhausted on Saturday night but it was well worth it!  Yee-haw!

Amy

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #189 on: May 01, 2006, 11:34:10 am »
Hi everybody!

Thank you for all the great descriptions of our Brokie gathering! I really had a great time, too (more when I get back home).  :)

I am at Meryl's place right now and she kindly lets me use her computer (I have been on a withdrawal for three days now). I'll leave sunny NYC this evening and will be back in freezing cold Germany tomorrow afternoon (German time). So you'll just have to wait a little bit longer for my pictures (if you can't fix it, you gotta stand it). Give me another two or three days for the audioproject. I hope I can get it done this week, once real life and work hit me again. It'll be worth the wait, I think. ;)

Enough for now. I wouldn't spend my last hours in New York on a computer, would I?   ;D

Bye bye

ANKE

P.S. Have you noticed it was only the girls who brought presents?  ;)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 11:38:48 am by Pipedream »