Author Topic: Them boxes of soup are hard to pack (Was: Don't never order soup)  (Read 7062 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
So the Basque tells Ennis never to order soup, because the boxes of soup are hard to pack.

Has it occurred to anyone else besides me to wonder how come boxes of (presumably canned) soup could be harder to pack than boxes of (definitely) canned beans?

;D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 06:37:39 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: Don't never order soup
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 04:18:59 pm »
Could it be dried soup mix? I don't know from horse-camping, I'm afraid, and I wasn't alive in 1963. Would dried soup mixes have been a possibility, even?

I also sometimes wonder about Ennis not eating soup. I mean, that's a lot of different sorts of food not to like. Tomato soup, chicken noodle soup, cream of X soup...
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 04:23:15 pm »
This is a good question, Jeff. I already started this topic. "Don't Never Order Soup" is over on Chez Tremblay at

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=3330.0

but if you'd like to have your own never order soup topic here, that's fine with me too.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:31:45 pm »
It's probably already been covered on Lee's thread, but I'll chime in here:

Don't never order soup - them soup boxes are hard to pack = Don't ever go against the status quo - them "alternative lifestyles" are hard for society to accept.

No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 04:35:49 pm »
Mel, U make me sick!! "I wasn't alive in 1963"  ::) Well, I was definitely around then so I will give U the soup scoop. Yes, dehydrated soup was around in 1963. U see, there was this guy, name of John F. Kennedy, and one day in the early '60s he came on TV (yes we had TV then) and said "We will put a man on the moon by the end of this decade." And thereupon started the space race. Tang and dehydrated soup followed quickly behind, thus dooming a whole bunch of late-issue baby boomers to eat and drink such drivel on camping trips and such. Only thing is, they didn't have such things as asceptic packaging then, and the packaging left something to be desired, so I'm thinking maybe that would give a very flimsy reason for the Basque to say, "Them soup boxes is hard to pack." The real reason, we know, is that soup is a liquid and Ennis is not ready to dive into Jack yet!!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 05:06:44 pm »
Mel, U make me sick!! "I wasn't alive in 1963"  ::) Well, I was definitely around then so I will give U the soup scoop. Yes, dehydrated soup was around in 1963.

ROTFL. Fair enough. (But I was alive by the time they actually landed on the moon, see, and I figured that maybe they just couldn't make it to the moon because they kept trying to pack cans of soup and those cans of soup are real hard to pack? No? Hey, I'm just trying to confess that I'm a clueless rugrat here, that's all.)

I confess I was thinking about the dehydrated soup that I've packed on the closest thing I ever did to spending a summer herding sheep. We bought it at Whole Foods. I couldn't picture Ennis sending the Basque to Whole Foods. ;D

I probably shouldn't ask about ziplock bags either, huh.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 05:15:50 pm »
Can I shuffle back to my trailer now, hun?  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 06:42:02 pm »
This is a good question, Jeff. I already started this topic. "Don't Never Order Soup" is over on Chez Tremblay at

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=3330.0

but if you'd like to have your own never order soup topic here, that's fine with me too.

Mea culpa. Sorry for the inadvertent duplication of thread title. As you can see, it's been changed.

While I was being a bit of a smarty-pants when I wrote the original post, I also have genuinely wondered about packing boxes of soup compared to cans of beans. Have to say, I still don't get how squarish boxes of powdered/dehydrated soup could be more difficult to pack than cans of beans.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Them boxes of soup are hard to pack (Was: Don't never order soup)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:45:33 pm »
It could be simply the shape of the box.  Some boxes (cases) of canned goods come in easily totable boxes - the number of cans in the box is small - others can come in high numbers in a case and thus are heavy and largish and would be more difficult to pack.

Offline Andrew

Re: Them boxes of soup are hard to pack (Was: Don't never order soup)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 09:26:54 pm »
I always thought the the soup boxes were hard to pack because the cardboard was probably flimsy. The sides of the saddlebags and the ropes squeeze against boxes like that and split the cardboard.  This is from the viewpoint of someone who has brought home food in backpacks oftener than I like to think for the last thirty years! And has the disasters to show for it, including a scene much like the one in the movie where the flour goes up in clouds.