Author Topic: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?  (Read 66477 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Why is the "dozy embrace" in the film?
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2006, 01:38:17 pm »
Alma, Jr. and Cassie have this dialogue in the bar:
Cassie:  …. Your daddy ever gonna see fit to settle down again?
Alma, Jr. Don’t know … Maybe he’s not the marrying kind.
Cassie: You don’t think so? Or you don’t think I’m the one for him?
Alma, Jr. You’re good enough.
Cassie: You don’t say much, but you get your point across.

Yeah, I think that's it. Either Alma means just what she says, or she suspects he's gay. I think I've heard someone suggest some even deeper meaning to this exchange, but I can't remember what it is.

What I don't get is what Cassie means. What does she think Alma's point is?

There is a look Ennis gives at the end of "cow calf operation..." just as Jack touches his ear like 'I know I wish we could but...' or 'You only make it worse when you reach for me, that we cant be together.'

I think it's the first. He looks really sad there, partly because he's had to relive the horrifying experience. But it's also related, I think, to his desolate expression in the Motel Siesta when Jack asks what they're going to do now. He doesn't dare live with a man, but that doesn't mean he's not distraught at having to be apart from Jack.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2006, 01:52:11 pm »
I think that Cassie thinks that Alma's saying that Ennis doesn't love Cassie; that she just happens to be the one that he's with. I don't think that she every understands the reason why Ennis will never fall in love with her, though.

"I don't get you, Ennis del Mar..."
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2006, 01:55:49 pm »

OMG!! I thought I was the only one! I can't figure out what Cassie means, either. I mean, I have watched this film >100 times and everytime she says that, I scratch me head and say, "huh?"

He looks really sad there, partly because he's had to relive the horrifying experience. But it's also related, I think, to his desolate expression in the Motel Siesta when Jack asks what they're going to do now. He doesn't dare live with a man, but that doesn't mean he's not distraught at having to be apart from Jack.

Agreed.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2006, 01:58:57 pm »
I think that Cassie thinks that Alma's saying that Ennis doesn't love Cassie; that she just happens to be the one that he's with. I don't think that she every understands the reason why Ennis will never fall in love with her, though.

"I don't get you, Ennis del Mar..."

I think our comments crossed here ...

That actually makes sense. You are saying that Cassie never figures it out, right? I would agree with that, too.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2006, 02:07:45 pm »
Yeah, I don't think that Cassie ever figures it out. Ennis worries so much that people look at him and "know," but even a woman that left cheap white wine in his refrigerator didn't figure it out.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2006, 02:38:29 pm »
Yeah, I don't think that Cassie ever figures it out. Ennis worries so much that people look at him and "know," but even a woman that left cheap white wine in his refrigerator didn't figure it out.

Good point! I agree there's no way Cassie knows; she just looks too bewildered in the bus station. And you're right -- if the woman he was putting the blocks to didn't figure it out, why would some random stranger out on the pavement?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2006, 02:45:39 pm »
Cassie doesn't figure it out because she desperately wants Ennis to be the "marrying kind"; she pursued him even after it was clear he had ditched her. But people out on the pavement wouldn't have a vested interest and would just be getting a first impression, altho 99% of the people wouldn't be noticing anyone, but paranoid Ennis wouldn't believe that.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2006, 02:54:05 pm »
And Cassie never saw Ennis when he was around Jack. If they saw each other more often, maybe Ennis would stop lighting up like a 10,000 watt lightbulb when he saw Jack... but maybe not.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2006, 03:00:41 pm »
And Cassie never saw Ennis when he was around Jack. If they saw each other more often, maybe Ennis would stop lighting up like a 10,000 watt lightbulb when he saw Jack... but maybe not.
Most likely not.

Mr. 10,000 watt himself when as we know Jack just arrives.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:32:37 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2006, 08:06:10 pm »
Yeah, I think that's it. Either Alma means just what she says, or she suspects he's gay. I think I've heard someone suggest some even deeper meaning to this exchange, but I can't remember what it is.

I think Alma jr. suspect his dad is different. I'm not sure if she actually think he's gay or queer. As for Cassie, what I understood was that Cassie thought Alma jr meant she wasn't good enough for him. Cassie wanted to marry Ennis, but didn't understand what was going on so she wondered if she was the problem. I don't think it crossed Cassie's mind that Ennis was gay. She wouldn't even dream it. When Alma jr. said "you're good enough", Cassie didn't believe her because of the way she said it. Besides being good enough is not the same thing as saying "you're perfect for him" which I suspect it was what Cassie was expecting to hear. Otherwise why would she bring the topic up. She was looking for reassurance because she wasn't sure about Ennis's feelings for her. That's what I think.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:07:47 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.