Author Topic: First I've heard of this...warning - gruesome  (Read 13640 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
First I've heard of this...warning - gruesome
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:52:24 pm »

Didn't know quite where to put this as it's not a current event -  perhaps we discussed this before?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/newsom.asp

This is the first time I've ever read about a heterosexual man being raped and murdered along with his girlfriend.  Makes me wonder if it has happened before to straight men but just not been reported.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: First I've heard of this...warning - gruesome
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »
Didn't know quite where to put this as it's not a current event -  perhaps we discussed this before?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/newsom.asp

This is the first time I've ever read about a heterosexual man being raped and murdered along with his girlfriend.  Makes me wonder if it has happened before to straight men but just not been reported.

I didn't read the article but, yes, straight men are also raped. They rarely report because the stigma, bad enough for women, is far worse for me. I work for our local rape crisis center and we rarely get calls from men who are willing to report to police.

Heathen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:27:18 pm »
the latest statistics I have heard is the 2 out of 10, i.e. 20% of all rape is against males.  And of course, all of those schoolteacher cases have been adult women teachers having sex with young male students - that is also rape.  I have seen about 4 of those just this year.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:04:32 pm »
I didn't read the article but, yes, straight men are also raped. They rarely report because the stigma, bad enough for women, is far worse for me. I work for our local rape crisis center and we rarely get calls from men who are willing to report to police.

I was thinking not so much reported as in 'a straight man was raped and he reported it to police' but more like newpapers and media reporting it.  Whenever I read or hear about some poor woman getting murdered, the media always adds whether she was sexually assaulted on top of the murder if the info is available to them.  You don't hear/read that about men - ever.  This was the first time for me.  I read a blurb about this in a book I was reading, did a double take and actually Googled the crime to make sure they weren't a lesbian couple or a woman who had a man's name.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:29:09 pm »
I was thinking not so much reported as in 'a straight man was raped and he reported it to police' but more like newpapers and media reporting it.  Whenever I read or hear about some poor woman getting murdered, the media always adds whether she was sexually assaulted on top of the murder if the info is available to them.  You don't hear/read that about men - ever.  This was the first time for me.  I read a blurb about this in a book I was reading, did a double take and actually Googled the crime to make sure they weren't a lesbian couple or a woman who had a man's name.

Yeah, they don't report it because it doesn't make it that far. If the man doesn't report to the police, it doesn't make it to the news. I can't remember the last time a read about a male victim rape-though I hear about it all the time through the rape crisis center.

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 07:32:44 pm »
Yeah, they don't report it because it doesn't make it that far. If the man doesn't report to the police, it doesn't make it to the news. I can't remember the last time a read about a male victim rape-though I hear about it all the time through the rape crisis center.

But if a man has been murdered, he's not there to 'not report it'.  Why wouldn't his injuries be reported as a woman's are?

injest

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:50:02 pm »
But if a man has been murdered, he's not there to 'not report it'.  Why wouldn't his injuries be reported as a woman's are?

good point. to 'protect' the family? as if the 'taint' is worse?

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 12:52:31 am »
But someone else is generally around to report it. Either a person goes missing and family reports it causing the police to begin a search. Or a body is found. With rape, since it is generally not committed with an audience present, only the victim (survivor) and the perpetrator are aware of the crime. The perpetrator certainly isn't going to report it so unless the survivor reports it or tells someone else (unlikely) who reports it, it remains a secret between the involved parties. It doesn't hit the news if it stays private. 

Heathen

injest

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 01:08:35 am »
But someone else is generally around to report it. Either a person goes missing and family reports it causing the police to begin a search. Or a body is found. With rape, since it is generally not committed with an audience present, only the victim (survivor) and the perpetrator are aware of the crime. The perpetrator certainly isn't going to report it so unless the survivor reports it or tells someone else (unlikely) who reports it, it remains a secret between the involved parties. It doesn't hit the news if it stays private. 

so how do they know when a woman was raped? there is evidence on the body. and clues such as nudity, placing of the body...

the same autopsy techniques that show a woman has been assaulted would show a man was assaulted...so there is no reason why they wouldn't know.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 01:17:25 am »
so how do they know when a woman was raped? there is evidence on the body. and clues such as nudity, placing of the body...

the same autopsy techniques that show a woman has been assaulted would show a man was assaulted...so there is no reason why they wouldn't know.

I'm not talking about instances where the victim was murdered. I am talking about sexual assaults of men who survive the attack. Very very few rapes result in murder. Criminals pretty much stick to their crime of choice so rapists pretty much just commit rape.

Heathen