Author Topic: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali  (Read 26179 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Little Ashes: new film about early, gay love affairs of Salvador Dali
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2009, 02:06:19 am »

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 07:29:52 am »

S'pair a dice!

That's cool you have a pair.  I've never seen them before, just found them googling "pair of dice."  Do they work?

Yes, they work. But they are not very practical. They roll much better than regular dices (naturally), so they roll off the table much more often, and they need much longer to finally lay still so you can see which number it is. Gets boring.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:42 am »
[ Shouldn't it be HELLO DALAI?]  :)

I watch TWILIGHT again last night but this time with the Director and Cast Commentary.  Rob Pattinson is a little scamp!  All giggles and silliness, a real hoot.  Anyway, the movie LITTLE ASHES is mentioned.  At one point Bella has a dream where she is being bitten by Edward who looks like a more stereotypical vampire.  It's just a quick image really, but in the commentary Kristin says to Rob "You look just like in LITTLE ASHES".

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:21 am »
[ Shouldn't it be HELLO DALAI?]  :)

Absolutely.  I was irked by that too.  Still, it had a certain je ne sais quoi:)

Offline oilgun

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2009, 11:39:39 am »
Here are some excerpts from the Rob Pattinson GQ interview. [Bolding and bracketed comments with "- og",  are mine]. It confirms my suspicion that LITTLE ASHES was a pre-TWILIGHT project:

[...]
In the books, Edward refuses to go all the way with Bella, fearing he’ll vamp out in the heat of passion, but because he’s a 107-year-old vampire, he’s got seduction game like no 17-year-old alive. The story fuses the bodice-ripping True Love Never Dies sensuality of the vampire mythos with the True Love Waits ethos of Bush-era abstinence education; it’s a heavy-breathing romance in which all physical affection represents a slippery slope to horrible undeath.
[Unrelated to LITTLE ASHES, just another reason to dislike TWILIGHT-og]

[...]

Pattinson hasn’t shot anything new since Twilight wrapped. He won’t be in front of the camera again until this spring, when he starts shooting the next Twilight movie, New Moon, due out in November. But in the meantime, he’ll show up as young Salvador Dalí in a period drama called Little Ashes, about the pre-fame bromance between Dalí, director Luis Buñuel, and poet Federico García Lorca.

Pattinson auditioned for the movie two years ago, during a post–Harry Potter, pre-Twilight career lull. He’d been thinking about putting acting aside to focus on music.
[Gawd, not another one!-og] (Two of his songs, including the Jeff Buckley–ish ballad “Never Think,” appear on the Twilight soundtrack.)

He’d read for the Lorca part, but when they asked him to play Dalí, he said yes. “I wanted to have a vacation in Spain,” he says. “But it became just—really, really hard. I’d never done a job that was so hard.”

There was no budget. Most of the crew spoke Spanish; Pattinson didn’t. He spent a lot of time by himself, trying to figure out how to play the part, worried he’d look like an idiot. (For what it’s worth, all that effort is up there on the screen. Pattinson’s Dalí starts out as a walleyed, puffy-shirted Simple Jack type before morphing into the twirly-mustachioed culture-hero Dalí of dorm-room-poster fame. It’s one of those movies in which you can tell Dalí’s having an aesthetic breakthrough because he starts pressing really hard when he paints.)

“In a lot of ways,” Pattinson says, “I was kind of crossing lines of what I thought I was comfortable doing. I had to do all this naked stuff.”
See, Little Ashes contains a fair amount of homoerotic activity, some of which is portrayed artfully and obliquely (Dalí and Lorca dive together in a moonlit sea) and some of which is, y’know, not (Lorca makes athletic, spiteful love to a woman while Dalí masturbates gloomily in a corner). It’s the kind of project you could imagine a guy in Pattinson’s place taking on post-Twilight as a way of telling the world he’s versatile and/or fearless. Except it wasn’t.

“I thought I’d never get another acting job again,” Pattinson says. “So I was like, ‘Yeah—why not try to do something weird?’ There’s all these gay sex scenes. And y’know, I haven’t even done a sex scene with a girl, in my whole career.”

(While he says this, he’s pinching the skin on the back of his left hand and sort of twisting it clockwise with his right.)

“And here I am, with Javier [Beltrán], who plays Lorca, doing an extremely hard-core sex scene, where I have a nervous breakdown afterward. And because we’re both straight, what we were doing seemed kind of ridiculous.”

(Now he’s sort of laughing.)

“Trying to do it doggie-style. Trying to have a nervous breakdown while doing it doggie-style. And it wasn’t even a closed set. There were all these Spanish electricians giggling to themselves.”

He’s pretty sure the only reason Little Ashes is getting any kind of promotional push is that he’s in it.

“It’s nothing,” he says. “It would never have been released. I mean, that’s a terrible thing to say, but this was a movie where we didn’t even have stand-ins! We were scrambling, the entire time. We didn’t even have trailers.”

He hasn’t actually seen the finished film. He says he hasn’t seen any movie he’s been in since the Potter movies—not even Twilight. He took his mom to the American Twilight premiere, squirmed through the first ten minutes, then bolted. “I went out and sat in the car,” he says, “having a full-blown panic attack.” Ten minutes in, he looked up and realized someone was videotaping him.

Full (and relatively long) interview:  http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_8497

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

Bump.  :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?blogid=7&entry_id=39476

Pattinson Struggled
Through Nude Scenes

Robert Pattinson struggled through nude scenes
in the Salvador Dali biopic "Little Ashes" and blames
his English upbringing for making him so uptight.

The "Twilight" heartthrob plays the Spanish painter
in the movie and admits scenes in which he had to
strip down and show off his naked body were tough
to shoot.

Pattinson tells Moviefone.com, "It's funny because Spanish
people ... have no problem with nudity at all, and English
people obviously do have, like, the most enormous problem
with it.

"It's like little things, like when I saw my father getting
changed for swimming (and) I got, like, traumatized by it."
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
This is scheduled for "One Week Only" runs around here.  That does not bode well...  :(

But at least it's better than what Ciao had, which was a 3-day run (Fri-Sun) in Berkeley.  ::)

Offline oilgun

A review from After Elton: http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2009/5/littleashes?page=0%2C0

Excerpt:
"Had the film's focus been tighter and its dealing with the maybe/maybe not affair with Dalí better integrated, this could have been a standout biopic. As it is it's a nice-looking but self-conscious trifle that captures only glimpses of its subject's genius. "