Author Topic: Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent  (Read 36562 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2009, 07:55:43 am »
That 10th anniversary collage of Les Mis doesn't show the dances--just the song performances. The performer standing at the mic. During the actual play--there is a lot going on during that song. Must be just for a special. The ones I have seen have had the subtitles---maybe so people can sing along.

Yay!!

Like Singalong Sound of Music!  ;D
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2009, 06:25:56 pm »
Nothin too spectacular, although here is her competition from this week:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj15wqGeHb0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2guR1jt04[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9mtE__GBKA[/youtube]

From last week (her week)

&feature=related
&feature=related

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:35 pm »
I agree with Paul, I'm sure this was a created situation.  BUT, the response by real people is real.  I've already told y'all that when I arrived at a talk the other night, there was someone showing the YouTube clip to an enthralled little group, and that my mom, who is not very computer savvy sent me the link to it (it was a forward of a forward of a, etc.).  But last night when my daughter and I went out to dinner in a restaurant, I realized that the people who were sitting in the booth on the other side of ours were talking about it.  It is a real phenomenon, no matter how contrived it's start.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2009, 08:36:17 pm »
Sure, Elle.  Who doesn't love a rags-to-riches story, an Eliza Doolittle, a Pocketful of Miracles?

She's presented to us as a naive, but, a listen to her sultry "Cry Me a River" belies that.  Again, my cynical side says the producers chose her to be the next "it".  And it worked. 

It's both real and contrived. 

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »
Sure, Elle.  Who doesn't love a rags-to-riches story, an Eliza Doolittle, a Pocketful of Miracles?

She's presented to us as a naive, but, a listen to her sultry "Cry Me a River" belies that.  Again, my cynical side says the producers chose her to be the next "it".  And it worked. 

It's both real and contrived. 

What makes me wonder is how the camera happens to capture audience members' eyes rolling at just the right moment. Do they have a million cameras, or was that just extreme serendipity, or what?

But in any case, as Elle says, it works as a good story, regardless of the background. People like Slumdog Millionaire even though it's not a documentary, so ...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2009, 10:25:27 pm »

Jeff Danziger, Los Angeles Times Syndicate

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
What makes me wonder is how the camera happens to capture audience members' eyes rolling at just the right moment. Do they have a million cameras, or was that just extreme serendipity, or what?

Actually I think they do, Katherine. Not a million of them though. I think they have several cameras pointed in different directions and they then piece everything together in the editing department. I'd hate to think of this as some sort of set-up. I really hope it isn't true. My heart tells me it isn't true. Either way, I'm very happy for Ms. Boyle and I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of her first album. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2009, 11:08:11 pm »
Actually I think they do, Katherine. Not a million of them though. I think they have several cameras pointed in different directions and they then piece everything together in the editing department. I'd hate to think of this as some sort of set-up. I really hope it isn't true. My heart tells me it isn't true. Either way, I'm very happy for Ms. Boyle and I'll be anxiously awaiting the release of her first album. :)

You're right. There are several cameras all over the hall while the show is being shot. At any given point in time, the show's director is in a booth monitoring what's going on with each camera, and telling the camera operators where to point the lens, and how to frame the shots. Its actually pretty formulaic. The director and camera crew can expect to get shots of the audience as each contestant takes the stage.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2009, 11:27:04 pm »
In case anyone is interested, there has been plenty of chatter about Susan Boyle over on the opera boards. My fellow opera singers agree that this "Boyle Bubble" is all about age and looks. They're saying that the voice is just unexpected coming from someone who looks like Boyle. Hence the novelty.

As far as the voice itself, Boyle doesn't suck. She actually has a good strong instrument, with a consistent vibrato. Her low notes are pretty weak. We agree that with some training, she could turn into a viable musical theatre singer. Can she act or dance? Who knows?? What we don't hear is a voice that is yet ready for a recording contract.

Same goes for Paul Potts.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2009, 01:41:30 am »
You're right. There are several cameras all over the hall while the show is being shot. At any given point in time, the show's director is in a booth monitoring what's going on with each camera, and telling the camera operators where to point the lens, and how to frame the shots. Its actually pretty formulaic. The director and camera crew can expect to get shots of the audience as each contestant takes the stage.

Sure, I think we understand that. What I thought was interesting was the shot they got of that girl, rolling her eyes at just the right point. Even with several cameras, they're lucky to get one of however many hundreds in the audience in such a telling moment.

In case anyone is interested, there has been plenty of chatter about Susan Boyle over on the opera boards. My fellow opera singers agree that this "Boyle Bubble" is all about age and looks. They're saying that the voice is just unexpected coming from someone who looks like Boyle. Hence the novelty.

As far as the voice itself, Boyle doesn't suck. She actually has a good strong instrument, with a consistent vibrato. Her low notes are pretty weak. We agree that with some training, she could turn into a viable musical theatre singer. Can she act or dance? Who knows?? What we don't hear is a voice that is yet ready for a recording contract.

Same goes for Paul Potts.

Thanks for the professional appraisal, Milo. I agree that it's more about the surprise factor than anything else.

I also think that the essay I posted earlier made a good point. It's not just that Boyle is older or that she's not conventionally attractive. It's that she seems oblivious to trends and expectations in fashion and grooming, as if she hadn't been paying much attention. Yet her voice seems to indicate she's at least been paying attention in at least that one area.