Author Topic: Would you drink it from a box? Would you drink it with a fox?  (Read 14593 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Would you drink it from a box? Would you drink it with a fox?
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 06:51:46 am »
I'm not a wine drinker, but I will say that wine from a box just seems ...........wrong.    :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:09:04 am »
I'm not a wine drinker, but I will say that wine from a box just seems ...........wrong.    :laugh:

I don't drink much of anything alcoholic but I agree with you... ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 08:29:32 am »

Well, the advantage is not only that it's cheaper, but that theoretically you can have just one or two glasses at a time and because the wine is vacuum-packed (actually it's in a heavy plastic bag inside the box), it will last for a long time.

Though, as Lynne said, the opposite is likely to happen, too -- you drink more than you otherwise would without realizing it because you can't see how much you're getting.

Most of the wines I like start at $100 a bottle and go up in price.

I don't drink $100 wine, not only because I can't afford it but because I don't want to be exposed to it and find that's the only kind I like, too. I'd rather just be obliviously content with cheaper wine.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:34:49 am »
I don't drink $100 wine, not only because I can't afford it but because I don't want to be exposed to it and find that's the only kind I like, too. I'd rather just be obliviously content with cheaper wine.

:laugh:

I' not a wine drinker at all, probably one of the few Italians who doesn't like wine.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 08:36:47 am »
In my efforts to trim my household budget, I have started buying the occasional box of wine. I can't say it's delicious, but it's probably no worse than any other wine that would sell for $5 or $6 a bottle, which is approximately what boxed wine works out to be.

Oh, Katherine. ...  :'(

When someone of your taste and education starts drinking wine from a box, it's the end of civilization as we know it.  :'(

At least you could buy it in bottles with screw caps!

Me, I would not drink it from a box. I would not drink it with a fox.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 08:51:08 am »
I would not drink it with a fox.  :P

Not even this Fox?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 08:59:49 am »
Oh, Katherine. ...  :'(

When someone of your taste and education starts drinking wine from a box, it's the end of civilization as we know it.  :'(

At least you could buy it in bottles with screw caps!

Me, I would not drink it from a box. I would not drink it with a fox.  :P

Well, thanks for the implicit sort-of compliment. I certainly don't want to be responsible for the end of civilization!  :laugh:

And I DO buy wine with screw caps. I much prefer them, actually. If I'm in the store trying to decide between two different wines and one has a screw cap, that's the one I pick. From what I've read, there's no reason not to -- oenophiles have given them the A-OK. Much of the wine from Australia and NZ, especially, seems to be screw-capped these days.

Boxed wine, I'll admit, is not up there in quality with screw-capped wine.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:33:58 am »
Well, thanks for the implicit sort-of compliment. I certainly don't want to be responsible for the end of civilization!  :laugh:

And I DO buy wine with screw caps. I much prefer them, actually. If I'm in the store trying to decide between two different wines and one has a screw cap, that's the one I pick. From what I've read, there's no reason not to -- oenophiles have given them the A-OK. Much of the wine from Australia and NZ, especially, seems to be screw-capped these days.

Boxed wine, I'll admit, is not up there in quality with screw-capped wine.

Well, at least you know what standards you are violating.  ;)  ;D  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:41:39 am »
I scanned through this thread looking... and I don't see it yet (but I could be overlooking it)... this thread seems to beg for a Brokieism... 

"Wine boxes are hard to pack"!
 :laugh: :laugh:

I love wine.  Love, love, love it.  It's one of my favorite kinds of drinks.  And, I think that dry, cold white wine is one of the most refreshing beverages on earth.

I haven't ever tried boxed wine though.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 01:02:20 pm »

The bottle of wine Ennis takes out here...  was there a screw-cap on it or was it sealed with a wad of plastic wrap?  I seem to remember it was the latter.

A vital question for oenophile Brokies!