Author Topic: Kelly McGillis, "Top Gun" Star, Comes Out  (Read 7838 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Kelly McGillis, "Top Gun" Star, Comes Out
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:35:19 pm »
Another Hollywood Star Comes Out

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518463,00.html

Tom Cruise's girlfriend in the 1980s hit "Top Gun" confirmed in an interview the longstanding rumor that she's gay.

Kelly McGillis told the Internet show Girl Rock! that she was single, and in the market for a female partner.

"Definitely a woman," she said when asked if she's looking for a man or a woman. "I'm done with the man thing. You need to move on in life."

PHOTOS: Lesbian and bisexual stars in Hollywood.

McGillis, 51, has been married and divorced twice, and has two daughters with her second husband, Fred Tillman.

The actress said coming out as a lesbian was "an ongoing process from the time I was probably 12."

She added that "I had a lot of things happen that convinced me that God was punishing me because I was gay." McGillis was attacked and raped in her apartment in 1982 when she was a young actress working in New York.

The actress also told Girl Rock! that now that her daughters are grown, she's looking to get back into acting, but is having a hard time - because she won't dye her hair!

"Whenever I get an offer, they ask me to dye my hair," the graying star said. "And I just won't."

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Kelly McGillis, "Top Gun" Star, Comes Out
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:44:18 pm »
She was also Harrison Ford's Amish love interest in Witness. She later moved to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, where that movie was filmed (and yours truly grew up) to raise her daughters.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 01:54:21 pm »
Another Hollywood Star Comes Out

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518463,00.html

Tom Cruise's girlfriend in the 1980s hit "Top Gun" confirmed in an interview the longstanding rumor that she's gay.

Kelly McGillis told the Internet show Girl Rock! that she was single, and in the market for a female partner.

"Definitely a woman," she said when asked if she's looking for a man or a woman. "I'm done with the man thing. You need to move on in life."

PHOTOS: Lesbian and bisexual stars in Hollywood.

McGillis, 51, has been married and divorced twice, and has two daughters with her second husband, Fred Tillman.

The actress said coming out as a lesbian was "an ongoing process from the time I was probably 12."

She added that "I had a lot of things happen that convinced me that God was punishing me because I was gay." McGillis was attacked and raped in her apartment in 1982 when she was a young actress working in New York.

The actress also told Girl Rock! that now that her daughters are grown, she's looking to get back into acting, but is having a hard time - because she won't dye her hair!

"Whenever I get an offer, they ask me to dye my hair," the graying star said. "And I just won't."

:D

Wow!  What interesting news.  I'm sorry to hear that her coming out process sounds like it's been rather difficult and painful.  But, still, it's really nice that she's confident enough now to come out.

I'm all in favor of this trend of lesbian celebrities coming out on their own terms.  ;D

It feels like a nice little shift is happening in terms of lesbian visibility...  Feeling like an invisible community is often an issue - or can be an issue - for lesbians.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 02:03:52 pm »
I met her once in London back in the 90s, had the opportunity to talk to her, she was reallly nice and friendly.  ;D
I wish her happiness and love.
BbM, I swear

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 02:51:53 pm »
I've never head that rumor about her.  Interesting.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
TOP GUN star comes out of the closet and it's
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:46:13 pm »
not one of the guys.     ;)  Well, if you had the hots for Kelly McGilllis and your a lesbian or bisexual female, your prospects just got better. Now who said Top Gun wasn't a "gay movie."   ;D

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/405735_tvgif30.html

Kelly McGillis Says She's a Lesbian
By ADAM BRYANT
TV GUIDE

Tom Cruise's Top Gun girlfriend Kelly McGillis is on the market — and this time she's looking for a lady.

The 51-year-old was asked on the SheWired.com internet show Girl Rock! what kind of partner she's looking for.

"Definitely a woman," McGillis said. "I'm done with the man thing. You need to move on in life.

McGillis, who has been married and divorced twice, has two daughters with second husband Fred Tillman. She described coming out as an "ongoing process from the time I was probably 12," and even felt that her rape in 1982 was God punishing her for being gay.

Now, she's ready to move one. "It's a part of being true to yourself," she said. That's been a challenge for me."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: TOP GUN star comes out of the closet and it's
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:50:24 pm »
not one of the guys.     ;)  Well, if you had the hots for Kelly McGilllis and your a lesbian or bisexual female, your prospects just got better. Now who said Top Gun wasn't a "gay movie."   ;D

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/405735_tvgif30.html

Kelly McGillis Says She's a Lesbian
By ADAM BRYANT
TV GUIDE

Tom Cruise's Top Gun girlfriend Kelly McGillis is on the market — and this time she's looking for a lady.

The 51-year-old was asked on the SheWired.com internet show Girl Rock! what kind of partner she's looking for.

"Definitely a woman," McGillis said. "I'm done with the man thing. You need to move on in life.

McGillis, who has been married and divorced twice, has two daughters with second husband Fred Tillman. She described coming out as an "ongoing process from the time I was probably 12," and even felt that her rape in 1982 was God punishing her for being gay.

Now, she's ready to move one. "It's a part of being true to yourself," she said. That's been a challenge for me."

love the teasing headline!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: TOP GUN star comes out of the closet and it's
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 05:54:29 pm »
I'm not that surprised at all, dont know why.

Good luck to her. I hope she finds a new love.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:14:34 pm »
Sorry Louisev, I didn't see you had started this thread.  Oh well, word spreads fast about these matters.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:33:47 pm »
not one of the guys.     Wink  Well, if you had the hots for Kelly McGilllis and your a lesbian or bisexual female, your prospects just got better. Now who said Top Gun wasn't a "gay movie."

:laugh: