Author Topic: Annie Proulx's still pissed...  (Read 79900 times)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: Annie Proulx's still pissed...
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2009, 07:31:36 am »
:laugh: :laugh:

and  he said duchebag...hehe

I know!  That was the funniest part. lol

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2009, 08:43:43 am »
She would probably roll her eyes, and shake her head, and tell us to move on and get a life.

She has, and cannot understand why some of us haven't.

If she's "still pissed", then arguably it's less a case of moving on than taking on some of the characteristics of what one most despises -- in this case, apparently, a churlish celebrity.

As for people here proclaiming that they don't read fanfiction -- if you don't want to read something, don't read it.  But it isn't on a par with composing a great symphony, saving children from a burning building or actually making sense of the IRS Tax Code.  It's not an accomplishment; get over it.

Oh right, like nobody here ever thought of that.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2009, 08:49:00 am »
If she's "still pissed", then arguably it's less a case of moving on than taking on some of the characteristics of what one most despises -- in this case, apparently, a churlish celebrity.

As for people here proclaiming that they don't read fanfiction -- if you don't want to read something, don't read it.  But it isn't on a par with composing a great symphony, saving children from a burning building or actually making sense of the IRS Tax Code.  It's not an accomplishment; get over it.

Oh right, like nobody here ever thought of that.

Thought of WHAT????
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2009, 08:53:48 am »
She would probably roll her eyes, and shake her head, and tell us to move on and get a life.

She has, and cannot understand why some of us haven't.

Tell you what, I don't intend to be offensive or personal, but, depending on what exactly you mean by "moving on" with respect to Brokeback Mountain, I don't understand it either.  :-\

I feel that I've incorporated the story and the film into my life and "moved on," but I'm sure not living it night and day like I did three years ago.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2009, 09:15:03 am »
I'm not either. And frankly, I don't acknowledge the authority of a writer I've never even seen in person, let alone met, to tell me to 'move on'.  Although the eye-rolling and head-shaking part is none of my business.

People have all kinds of interests; watch just one installment of Antiques Road Show and you'll see examples you can hardly believe.  This is one of them, and speaking just for myself, it's been no less rewarding than any other.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2009, 09:25:06 am »
Tell you what, I don't intend to be offensive or personal, but, depending on what exactly you mean by "moving on" with respect to Brokeback Mountain, I don't understand it either.  :-\

I feel that I've incorporated the story and the film into my life and "moved on," but I'm sure not living it night and day like I did three years ago.  :-\

If you think by what I posted, that I am insinuating that people should "move on" then you are wrong. I used the term "move on and get a life"  as suggesting, that it is SHE who is telling us to do that.

Personally, I dont give a rats **** whether people move on or whether they dont. Its up to them how much of a part of their life is consumed with BBM. I know how much of a part of my life it is, and I am comfortable with that, just as everyone else should be.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2009, 11:20:18 am »
Elle, thanks for posting those hilarious William Shatner (and Leonard Nimoy) videos. I've always loved how William Shatner is willing to caricature himself. I bet that "get a life" sketch was a turning point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2009, 11:36:36 am »
If you think by what I posted, that I am insinuating that people should "move on" then you are wrong. I used the term "move on and get a life"  as suggesting, that it is SHE who is telling us to do that.

Personally, I dont give a rats **** whether people move on or whether they dont. Its up to them how much of a part of their life is consumed with BBM. I know how much of a part of my life it is, and I am comfortable with that, just as everyone else should be.

No, I understood you meant that was what Annie is telling people. It's none of my business either if anybody is stuck in his or her first emotional reaction to Brokeback Mountain. I took your comment to suggest that Annie doesn't understand how some people haven't been able to "move on," and I honestly don't understand it either. If I were close to somebody who was still as torn up as some of us were when we first saw the movie, I'd be concerned about that person's well-being.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2009, 11:43:03 am »
Annie Proulx can be a cranky crabass.  We knew that already.  She wouldn't be her if she wasn't.  Remember the trashing and thrashing she gave the Academy Awards experience?  But she also said that Heath Ledger's name should be Heath Legend, so she has my support to be whatever the fuck she wants.

She's cantankerous, and it allows her the discipline to sit and write, all by herself.  I say let be let be.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2009, 11:51:01 am »
I think we are moving on.

The movie left me with one very clear question: "They never asked for much, why shouldn't they have been able to have that simple happy life they wanted?"  I think a lot of people were left with that question. 

And every year since then, I hear more and more people asking it.