Author Topic: The Wizard of OZ: A cautionary tale for girls?  (Read 14321 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The Wizard of OZ: A cautionary tale for girls?
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 06:55:29 pm »

I can definitely see why they cut that out.  Wow.. its annoying.

Beautiful mind

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 03:01:38 pm »
I love the Wizard of Oz.   I always saw it as about four friends - Dorothy is independent - she's going to find her way home, and if the others want to come along, fine, but she's still going.   I always loved the ruby slippers - the bobby sox and more grown up shoes are like she's on the cusp of her becoming an adult woman.   I always loved that the Tin Man, the Cowardly Lion, the Scarecrow and Dorothy are looking for the qualities they already possess.   I loved Wicked too.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:22 am »
Many people don't realize the Judy Garland version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was actually the third filmed version, previous versions were made in 1910 and 1925:[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbbSTcjnfQ0[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBnXAKPwplQ[/youtube]
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 09:56:32 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOROvO2fxTc[/youtube]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:03 pm »
an Oz blooper reel...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_qodDo4cXo&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:15 am »
Some of those are pretty funny, Bruce!

The munchkin screaming before the witch smoke actually appears -- I could swear I've registered that subliminally over my many viewings. I guess I just figured the munchkin saw something I didn't.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 12:34:20 pm »
Some of those are pretty funny, Bruce!

The munchkin screaming before the witch smoke actually appears -- I could swear I've registered that subliminally over my many viewings. I guess I just figured the munchkin saw something I didn't.

They didn't include my favorite blooper....

When Dorothy is done dancing around the spiral that leads out of Oz and turns to wave goodbye to the munchkins, she looks like she is standing in front of a painted backdrop.  

It is actually a composite shot with a matte painting.  

If you look all the way to the right of the screen, you can see the heads of the munchkins disappearing underneath the flowers they are supposed to be standing in front of.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »

There’s no place like the Internet.

An old one-line movie blurb has gone viral this week thanks to mentions all over the world wide web. In 1998, for a Wizard of Oz listing on TCM, writer Rick Polito wrote, “Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.”

This morning, Polito told JimRomensko.com, “That line is going to follow me to the grave. It was just on Leno, it was a clue in a crossword puzzle, it showed up in Playboy, and people use it as their email sigs.”

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/10/26/wizard-of-oz-movie-description/

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 03:12:13 pm »
I taught a Rick Polito way back in 1979 and he occasionally makes contact. I checked he still lives in Australia so a different one. I sent him this article in case he has not seen it. ;D

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/10/26/wizard-of-oz-movie-description/

Now, now.  Dorothy didn't exactlymeet the Wicked Witch of the East.  Her untimely demise was due to an act of god (tornado) and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As for the 2nd victim...I'd say it was a clear case of stand your ground.  :P  ;)

Reminds me of that description of Jedi Warriors, if I can remember correctly.  Goes like

"There are two monks here.  They are wielding an unstoppable weapon, can do amazing physical feats, can move objects with a thought, and are versed in mind control.  They say they're here to negotiate."  :laugh: