Author Topic: TOTW 03/09: What Was the Attraction?  (Read 19640 times)

Offline ohiomyown

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: TOTW: What Was the Attraction?
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 12:40:14 am »
but they still could walk away from one another after that, not knowing if they would ever see each other again.

No, I cannot agree that they "could walk away from one another".   As I saw it they crawled away from one another - in misery.
Ennis with his head down, retching in an alley, his guts feeling like they were being pulled out of him, hand over hand.
Jack driving slowly down the street, unable to look ahead, but could only look in the rearview mirror, hoping Ennis would flag him down
and either go with him or stop him from leaving.  They knew - but also knew this was expected of them . .  to go forward.

I have never liked or agreed with Annie Proulx giving Ennis the line "took me about a year to figure out I should never a let you outa my sights."
*paraphrased, of course*  It's my opinion that he knew it was a mistake to let Jack drive off - but was helpless to even imagine a way to shape a future so far out of society's acceptance - or his own acceptance, for that matter.

BTW, might as well open up this other can of worms . .  any normal people who had worked together all summer, and who could stand each other even a little bit would have parted differently than AP had them part.  Jack would have offered Ennis a ride to the highway at the very least.  They had come down a month early,  neither one was expected anywhere in a big hurry, so Jack conceivably could have offered to take him all the way or part way to Riverton.  But I think they (Ang, AP) didn't allow that - cause once Ennis was in Jack's truck, they'd have more freedom.  They might start thinking creatively (after they had sex 16 times, of course)  about their future.  Anyone ever think it strange how they parted?
Judy

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 12:47:37 am »
Monika, I love your captioned image series.  Love love love it.  I would love to figure out a way for it to be stand alone visible for everyone to see.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 12:53:35 am »
Monika, I love your captioned image series.  Love love love it.  I would love to figure out a way for it to be stand alone visible for everyone to see.

I know! Monika, you did an amazing job with those. The captions were perfect! Fabulous.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 01:28:00 am »
BTW, might as well open up this other can of worms . .  any normal people who had worked together all summer, and who could stand each other even a little bit would have parted differently than AP had them part.  Jack would have offered Ennis a ride to the highway at the very least.  They had come down a month early,  neither one was expected anywhere in a big hurry, so Jack conceivably could have offered to take him all the way or part way to Riverton.  But I think they (Ang, AP) didn't allow that - cause once Ennis was in Jack's truck, they'd have more freedom.  They might start thinking creatively (after they had sex 16 times, of course)  about their future.  Anyone ever think it strange how they parted?
Judy

Yeah, the "why didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride?" question came up before.
This question works only for the movie, though. In the short story, Ennis had his own truck, and the parting was a bit different:

"Right," said Jack, and they shook hands, hit each other on the shoulder, then there were forty feet of distance between them and nothing to do but drive away in opposite directions.

They did go through the "normal" parting process of two guys who had worked together all summer and liked each other - in the way socially acceptable for two guys: shake hands, give each other a slap on the shoulder. That's about as much affection as two guys can show openly (given the time and setting of the story).
And offering a ride wasn't in the cards, obviously, when both had trucks.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 01:54:39 am »
The parting scene...it's so hard to say because we only have glimpses of what happened up on Brokeback. But I think that Ennis made it very clear to Jack that it only was a one-shot thing and that's why Jack doesn't push the issue once it's time to part ways, and why he doesn't offer Ennis a ride. Jack knows they are gonna go their separate ways, and wants to do it as painless and quick as possible. And that's also why there are no hugs, or holding of hands. To do that would just be too awkward.
 Ennis is, as he is throughout the movie, convinced that "it can't be fixed" whatever feelings he might have for Jack.

I´m glad you liked the pics!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »
I always felt that Ennis knew what he was feeling for Jack once they came down from BBM. hence the alley scene.It gives more away in the S.S as it is described as," Ennis felt like someone was pulling his guts out, hand over hand a yard at a time."
Later on at the reunion scene, he tels Jack it took him a year to figure out that he should never gave let Jack out of his sights. Then comes for me one of the saddest lines in the S.S. 'too late then by a long, long while"

It is so devastating to hear Ennis in effect admit to what he was feeling, I wanted to jump up and down for joy, and run round saying, Oh yes, oH yes , he gets it !!
Then my heart dropped like a brick when he says it was already too late then. I sometimes scream at both the book and film at those points. In the alley scene in the film I'm shouting run after him you idiot, you will never get this chance again.

In the S.S, reunion scene, I want to scream at him when Jack says we got to figure what to do, and Ennis responds, "I doubt there's nothin now we can do " Yes there is you idiot, grab what you both have and run as if the devil himself was on your heels.

I read the S.S first and I just knew then, there was going to be no happy ending. I also knew that they were both not only in love with each other, but that Jack's ever present optimism would not save the day. I remember listening to coldplay, fix you and thinking how appropriate the words are. " when you love someone but it goes to waste, could it be worse"

So what was the original attraction,maybe it was simply the fact that Jack liked to talk and found a listener with Ennis. Then as time progressed Ennis, naturally taciturn slowly discovers that it is quite refreshing for a change to do some talking himself. The both drew things out of each other, allowing each the time to slowly blossom and become, particularly Ennis,more rounded beings.Ennis admits he has talked more than he has in the past year. There is no recrimination there, it is an admission of fact and even surprise that he actually enjoys talking.
In the film I am sure looks played some part in the attraction, although I am not convinced that at the time Ennis had the slightest clue what was happening,but the look J ack gives Ennis when he firsts sees him is IMO definitely one of attraction.Ennis seems more to be checking out this guy who he is going to be spending the summer with.
In the S.S I love the way that mention is made of the fact that less and less time is spent with the sheep and more with each other, this even before TS1. It almost resembles a courtship dance, nothing admitted, yet at the same time an unspoken desire to spend more time with each other, and less doing their job. For me the S.S is more illuminating than the film, where after TS1  it says " without saying anything about it both knew how it would go for the rest of the summer, sheep be damned"
Interesting too is the use of the word damned, with all its connotations, particularly for Ennis.
It always seems to come back to the same thing though, that opposite attracts, and when attraction and love grab you, most people are poweless to resist, no matter how hard they may try.
As the words "there aint no reins on this one" so powerfully indicates. It is a force which is out of control and at the same time uncontrollable. You can turn your back, you can run a million miles, but you will not escape, indeed how could you ever, that love is now internalised, it is part of the very fabric that is you, it adds a new dimension to you and therefore in part defines you.
To try and run from it, is as futile as thinking if you run far enough and fast enough you will escape from yourself.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 04:49:45 pm »
Regarding the line....It took me a year to figure out........

I think that has to do with his marriage to Alma, and the feelings he had with her, compared to the feelings he felt being with Jack. When he left Jack after Brokeback, he had his plans to marry Alma, that is why he did not think of anything happening again with Jack. Obviously, not long into the marriage, he realized that he did not feel the same about Alma as he did about Jack, but by then Alma Jnr was on the way, or born, and it was too late.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 06:56:42 pm »
I also have enjoyed reading the responses here, especially the many responses from new people. I'm so glad you all have been inspired to write! A related question could be "was it love at first sight?" I for one believe that it was. I believe in love at first sight, because it has happened to me. I think there is something instinctive that helps us recognize a person who would be an ideal partner. Think about it...we go through our daily lives interacting with many people and then, one day, someone comes along who knocks us off our feet. What is it about that one person? It may be the sound of their voice, their smell, or the way they look. It could be a subliminal something. But, maybe I'm overthinking it. I look at Jack and Ennis and think, what's not to be attracted to??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 05:16:30 am »
Buffymon,
I enjoyed the picture-story very much.

This thread, for me, has brought back a "tsunami" of emotions, it felt like when I watched BbM for the first time, and didn't know what the hell was happening to me.
Since I watched the movie the first time and read the SS (after seeing the movie) other Brokies'point of view have helped me in getting a better understanding of Jack's and Ennis's feelings.
This is my point of view as it stands now.

I agree with Fiona on:

In the S.S I love the way that mention is made of the fact that less and less time is spent with the sheep and more with each other, this even before TS1. It almost resembles a courtship dance, nothing admitted, yet at the same time an unspoken desire to spend more time with each other, and less doing their job. For me the S.S is more illuminating than the film, where after TS1  it says " without saying anything about it both knew how it would go for the rest of the summer, sheep be damned"

I will add:

"They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected. Ennis riding against the wind to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he's never had such good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon".

From that I have always got the impression that Ennis up to that moment had  never been that happy in his life, by Jack he was accepted the way he was, taciturn and reserved.
IMO for Jack it was more of a love at first sight, whereas for Ennis the falling in love was gradual, Ennis learnt to appreciate Jack as a person and the way Jack treated him.

When it comes to TSN1 I have always felt that Ennis wasn't that unprepared at all.  Annie Proulx writes ".... nothing he'd done before but no instruction manual needed". I have always interpreted that as "They were 19, had their sexual fantasies, Ennis might have tried to push a certain type of fantasy right at the back of his mind but not so successfully. When TSN1 happened he grabbed it, he knew what to do, never mind that later he said to Jack he was a one shot thing. By TSN1 they were in love."
BbM, I swear

Offline loreen

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • It's alright...
    • http://loreent.livejournal.com/
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 11:54:09 am »
Great topic!

I believe that Ennis looked upon Jack, his easy way, talking , dreams, singing... everything seemed so easy for Jack. I believe that impressed Ennis... OK; besides other things... ::)

Jack, on the other side, wanted to pull out the beauty of Ennis's soul, which he believed was hidden deep inside his fears and childhood trauma.

I know that it is a simple way of seeing it, and I'd add the freedom of the mountain, the fact that they only had each other, the physical attraction, their youth  and many other things. Still fro Jack was a certain thrill of chase, and for Ennis an admiration for his new friend who accepted him so naturally and easy.