Author Topic: The great bleakness of the vast Northern plains  (Read 3778 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
The great bleakness of the vast Northern plains
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:28:17 pm »
Yesterday, I had occasion to consult the script of the movie, the last line of which is this:

He [Ennis] looks out the window, at the great bleakness of the vast northern plains..."

Using StripedWall - that very useful site which gives stills from every two seconds of the movie - I've checked back to what we actually see out of that window and, as far as I can ascertain, it has nothing to suggest "..the great bleakness of the vast Northrn plains". Indeed, it is a rather attractive shot of the countryside in the early summer. Beyond a strip of road, there is a dense mass of green growing plants - young corn, maybe? - and in the distance an attractive splash of very bright yellow which maybe what used to be called "rape". There's nothing bleak here at all. So why did Ang Lee shoot it this way? Some possible answers are:

(i) Ang Lee was shooting in Alberta during the summer and couldn't find a suitably "bleak" shot. (Possible but unlikely).

(ii) That he limited the "bleakness" to Ennis and was contrasting this "bleakness" with the growth and renewal of the natural world. (A possible connection to Alma Jr's upcoming wedding here)?

(iii). In the penultimate shot on Striped wall, the closet door intersects the frame and on one half we see the picture of the soaring peaks of Brokeback Mountain and on the other this depiction of a very flat and ordinary, day-to-day world. Was Ang Lee establishing a subtle contrast between the two?

Any suggestions?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The great bleakness of the vast Northern plains
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:40:19 pm »
To me something that's green and growing, like whatever that is seen through the window, is a symbol of hope. At the risk of insulting the Ang Lee fans, I'm afraid I've always more or less dismissed that final shot as simply a movie-ish decision not to end the film on too "down" a note. The swelling music coupled with the image of the waving grain I see as "uplifting." Coupled with the change we've just witnessed in Ennis--his decision to say to hell with the roundup, he was going to his daughter's wedding--he was being there for Alma, Jr., in a way he was not when she asked to move in with him--the waving grain and the swelling music sends us out of the theater on an uplifting note. We might be weeping for Ennis's loss, but we're not completely crushed.

(Of course, that's provided we don't sit for the credits and the evocation of Jack's death provided by Willie Nelson's rendition of "He Was a Friend of Mine.")
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 02:23:06 pm »
Nice topic, chowhound.

Of course, the phrase comes from the story, when Ennis realizes Jack is dead:  "The huge sadness of the northern plains rolled down on him."

The script is full of lines taken directly from the story; however, some are changed in wording and placement, like this one. 

I recall that Ang had said he wanted there to be something "redemptive" about the ending. 

I think the last shot is another brilliant bit of Ang-ambiguity (Angbiguity?).  It can be "bleak" in that it's endless, featureless, and on the plains, therefore away from the mountains. (Having actually been there, I can attest to this.)  But, it can also be hopeful, verdant, a symbol of growth and renewal.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:27:26 pm »
Here's the "penultimate" photo--yes, a nice, subtle contrast between the mountains and the plains. 

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:29:59 pm »
That's a really interesting question!  I can only tell you how it affected me.  I checked the Striped Wall pic just to be sure.

The bleakness came for me because we are looking at a flat plain.  Flat as far as the eye can see, not a tree, not a house, not a mountain, not a barn.  To me an empty plane is like solitary confinement that stretches for miles and miles with only the wind for walls.  The only visible sign of life is the wind blowing through the tall grass.  The wind was used throughout the movie as a symbol for Jack, and the wind through the grass just reminded me that Jack is gone.

In the country, the grass is always greener on the other side of the road and we can see that what beauty the plain has is on the opposite side of the road from where Ennis is.  The road stands there, cold and desolate, like a wall.  Symbolically, unless life sends Ennis another miracle like Jack, I don't think he'll ever cross that road.  A visual representation of so near, yet so far away.

It worked as a physical metaphor for me, because it seemed to be saying to Ennis, the one thing that made your life bearable, you had, but you didn't appreciate it and now it's gone, forever beyond your reach.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:33:08 pm »
I recall that Ang had said he wanted there to be something "redemptive" about the ending. 

Redemptive is a good word for it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 04:54:11 pm »
That's a really interesting question!  I can only tell you how it affected me.  I checked the Striped Wall pic just to be sure.

The bleakness came for me because we are looking at a flat plain.  Flat as far as the eye can see, not a tree, not a house, not a mountain, not a barn.  To me an empty plane is like solitary confinement that stretches for miles and miles with only the wind for walls.  The only visible sign of life is the wind blowing through the tall grass.  The wind was used throughout the movie as a symbol for Jack, and the wind through the grass just reminded me that Jack is gone.

In the country, the grass is always greener on the other side of the road and we can see that what beauty the plain has is on the opposite side of the road from where Ennis is.  The road stands there, cold and desolate, like a wall.  Symbolically, unless life sends Ennis another miracle like Jack, I don't think he'll ever cross that road.  A visual representation of so near, yet so far away.

It worked as a physical metaphor for me, because it seemed to be saying to Ennis, the one thing that made your life bearable, you had, but you didn't appreciate it and now it's gone, forever beyond your reach.

I am pretty much with you on this.That scene reduces me to a blubbering wreck every time. Virtually everything we see is a reminder of everything Ennis has lost. The trailer where he lives is bleak, the vast flatness that surrounds him is bleak, in contrast with the vast heights of BBM where everything soared, his emotions, freedom, and a love that may not have been admitted but was nonetheless all too real.
We see Alma junior grab her love with both hands and hold on to it, as opposed to her father who could no more grab his love than he can the wind that rattles round the trailer.
Alma has everything in front of her, Ennis has it all behind. I see hope for Alma but not Ennis. All I can focus on is how vast the plains are so like the vast grief felt by Ennis.
I also like the tie in with the S.S on another level, Ennis is driving away from the Twists house and he  "didn't want to know Jack was going in there,to be buried on the grieving plain"
To me any association with the flat landscape represents pain and loss, the peaks of the mountains are symbolic of love and joy. So at the very end we see what could have been as opposed to what is.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 06:57:10 pm »

Just an idea, I had at the time.   The open closet door, with the mountains and the two shirts, represent what he
hid away, and is still hiding "in the closet."   What he is left with, is the wide open all seen and everyone can see, plain
fields.  Nothing interesting or colorful to make it beautiful or joyous.  It is not hidden away, but also not valuable.

In short it tells him that hiding the good stuff, leaves you with nothing.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:31:27 pm »
For me, the scene out the window, made of bands of color, is symbolic of Jack and Ennis. Ennis is the yellow band and Jack is the blue band of sky. The green grain (which I believe is actually barley) represents the two of them in unity, which is what green is, a mixture of yellow and blue. That it is growing plants adds to the symbolism, and represents the resurgence of hope, new life which springs from death, and the renaissance of the world every year in the spring.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »
Here's what I see in the composition of that frame...

Ennis has been taught some profound life lessons over the previous 20 years of his life. Alma, his girls, and of course Jack were his teachers. His conversation with Junior indicates that he has indeed assimilated those lessons on some level.

The way I interpret it, the closet with the shirts and the postcard represent Ennis' past failures and deep sadness. The colorful, wide open field represents a world full of possibilities and potential happiness. I think the shot asks, "which will Ennis choose?"
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.