Author Topic: Interesting article about celebrity gay gossip. Discusses Jake Gyllenhaal.  (Read 25221 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Brokeback Mountain remains the most powerful love story I have seen on screen, regardless of the gender and sexual identity of the protagonists.

I absolutely agree.

I think that BBM earned both men plenty of new female fans

I can vouch for one of them!  ;)

there's no reason to think that gay actors couldn't play a heterosexual romance convincingly.

And in fact, they obviously have done so, many many times!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Interesting article.   All valid points.  It is just human nature to be curious. 

For the record: I think Jake is 100% Straight.   And yes, I do fantasize that he is Gay and comes to my house in a big limousine and wisks me away.   But it is more likely that I'll win the lottery and monkeys will fly out my Arse!

Until I see a photo of him performing oral sex on a guy, he is not gay, but just Gay friendly in my book.  And for a straight person to be Gay friendly, that is a good thing.  And the more straight folks who are comfortable around gay people the better for all of us.

Well-said, David.  I concur.  But just a limousine?  Not a chariot drawn by unicorns like in my fantasy?

For what it's worth, I hang out in about the "most gay" section of South Florida (after South Beach) fairly regularly.  And I'm as straight as the day is long.  I like to go there because it's lively, fun, and most of the men and women there are young and gorgeous.  More than that, it has a soul.  I feel like I'm part of something when I hang out there.  Not at all like this infinite tropicopolis in which I live and work and everyone else walks around with hollow eyes and empty hearts.  I swear, I feel like Donald Sutherland in The Invasion of the Body Snatchers sometimes here in Boca Raton - like I'm the only one still living inside my own body.  I don't feel that way there.  Not by a long shot.
No more beans!

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
I hate to come out with an opposing opinion, but here goes - I recall an English actor, cast as the romantic leading man in several films within the last 5 years (?) who came out as gay.  (Of course his name totally escapes me at the moment).  I also recall reading that he later said it was the worst career move  he could've made.  I also have to say I have not seen him in many films recently, certainly not to the degree he was at that time.  So, I think it does matter to Hollywood execs in some instances.

Anyone recall who I am trying to remember? 

EDIT: The actor I was trying to recall is Rupert Everett.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:47:56 pm by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
I for one hang out there a lot, and I'm straight, because you can find restaurants that serve low fat, real good and cheap meals, as opposed to other places where restaurants usually serve 100% spanish food, high in fat and all. Chueca also has the best stores of the city, cute coffee shops, and bars with great music. So, maybe that could be the reason why Jake hangs out in LA's gayest neighborhood, though I don't know if that where the best restaurants or bars are in LA.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good point.  Very good point.  By the way, you know that Gael Garcia Bernal moved into our neighborhood , and has been seen a lot in West Hollywood frequenting gay coffee shops near Crescent and Santa Monica Blvd?  So has Eduardo Verastegui.  But it doesn't mean they're gay...just totally cool.  Hey, once I saw Brad Pitt at an exclusive boy party in Laurel Canyon, with a male date.  But a mutual friend who works with Pitt all the time says that Brad just loves his gay fan base.  Because of that I am more certain that Brad is straight because he's so comfortable in his skin that he could do something like that.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline opinionista

I for one hang out there a lot, and I'm straight, because you can find restaurants that serve low fat, real good and cheap meals, as opposed to other places where restaurants usually serve 100% spanish food, high in fat and all. Chueca also has the best stores of the city, cute coffee shops, and bars with great music. So, maybe that could be the reason why Jake hangs out in LA's gayest neighborhood, though I don't know if that where the best restaurants or bars are in LA.

Good point.  Very good point.  By the way, you know that Gael Garcia Bernal moved into our neighborhood , and has been seen a lot in West Hollywood frequenting gay coffee shops near Crescent and Santa Monica Blvd?  So has Eduardo Verastegui.  But it doesn't mean they're gay...just totally cool.  Hey, once I saw Brad Pitt at an exclusive boy party in Laurel Canyon, with a male date.  But a mutual friend who works with Pitt all the time says that Brad just loves his gay fan base.  Because of that I am more certain that Brad is straight because he's so comfortable in his skin that he could do something like that.

Oh, I envy you Flash!!!! (in a nice way  ;)) Have you noticed my avatar? Gael Garcia Bernal!! He's so hot.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!

True, that.  And it just belies my contention that the more homophobic one is, the less secure he (or she) is in his own sexuality.

My husband hangs out with me in Wilton Manors down here and likes it for all the same reasons I do.  He doesn't wear a wedding ring - never has - he doesn't wear a watch or any other jewelry of any kind.  It was a point of contention between us for a while, but I finally decided I'd rather be married to a guy who doesn't wear a ring but acts married than one who does but doesn't.  ANYway, because he doesn't wear a ring and is an airline pilot (and kind of a hottie in his own right :)), he has been propositioned several times by flight attendants.  Male and female.  He told the other day that last month, a male flight attendant on one of his flights to Rio asked him if he wanted to go dancing with him after they landed.  He said, "I'd be glad to go check out the club with you, but I'm straight.  And married."  He goes, "Oh, honey.  What a waste."   :o  (Too bad he didn't use Robert Preston's answer in "Victor/Victoria" to that one.)  I always appreciate that not only is he comfortable telling me these stories (in fact, I think he likes to because it inflates his own ego), he is flattered when this kind of thing happens and is respectful in his answers.  Sad thing is he also tells me that many of the pilots are some of the biggest homophobes he's ever come across.  No big surprise - ex-military, raised and regimented (with all due respect to the military, believe me) and all that.  Several times he's had to say something to a captain spewing the f-word.  His favorite response to that is "Uh, I think they prefer 'gay guy'."  That way it doesn't get him into a confrontation with a guy who is basically his boss for the month, but it keeps him from saying it again.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:32:28 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
(Too bad he didn't use Robert Preston's answer in "Victor/Victoria" to that one.)

OK, Barb, I'll bite.  ??? I saw the movie about 30 years ago and lack your encyclopediac memory for films!

By the way, I like your husband's response to the captain.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
OK, Barb, I'll bite.  ??? I saw the movie about 30 years ago and lack your encyclopediac memory for films!

By the way, I like your husband's response to the captain.

When Lesley Ann Warren's character comes on to him and he says, "I'm gay."  She goes, "What a waste."  He replies, "I assure you, nothing is wasted."  (I have to say I actually really like her character in that movie.  She's a ditz, but she's open-minded and fun.  I wouldn't mind having a few cocktails and discussing men with her.)

And I do, too.  My boy's wicked smart.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Oh, I envy you Flash!!!! (in a nice way  ;)) Have you noticed my avatar? Gael Garcia Bernal!! He's so hot.

I noticed, Natali. He's a dreamboat.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
When Lesley Ann Warren's character comes on to him (Robert Preston) and he says, "I'm gay."  She goes, "What a waste."  He replies, "I assure you, nothing is wasted."

Whew! Barb, I'm glad you elaborated! For a minute there you had me worried that you meant Preston's other great line from V/V:

"There is nothing more inconvenient than an old queen with a headcold."

;) ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.