Author Topic: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?  (Read 81404 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:12 am »
Winners in the summer film festival lineup are Brokeback Mountain, Maurice, Big Eden, Were the World Mine, and Shelter. All of these are available on DVD! Let's all plan to see both BBM and Were the World Mine by July 27 so we can compare and contrast.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2009, 11:41:25 am »
Please come over to The Culture Tent to discuss Julie and Julia, which I have moved to its own thread. See you there!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 10:40:34 pm »
I just ordered Local Hero (set in Scotland) and The Secret of Roan Inish (set in Ireland). I have also pre-ordered Little Ashes.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2010, 06:11:21 pm »
It's a little late, but I might revise this poll. I've seen 6 new movies this summer and here they are in order of my preference: Inception, I Am Love, I Love You Phillip Morris, The Kids are All Right, Agora, and, in the Number One spot, Hubble. The old movies I saw again were Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Local Hero. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain this summer, and I'm starting to miss it.

What have you seen and how would you rank them?

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »
This summer started out with Prince of Persia and ended so far with Inception, and in between it has been a big mix of variations of different kind of movies. Like...

Crazy heart,Batman- the dark knight, tv-episodes of Sex in the city, Thunderheart, Moonlight mile, Lovely and amazing, Proof, I buried my heart at wounded knee, Wives and daughters (BBC tv-production), SNL with Jake Gyllenhaal and SNL with Joseph Gordon Lewitt. 

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 05:00:25 pm »
Heya,
I just can't believe how bad I am about getting out to the movies these days.  I've hardly seen any movies in the theatre for many months now.  Of course I saw PoP, but that's reallly about it in recent memory.

I really want to go see The Kids are All Right... it looks very interesting to me.  I think it takes a lot to inspire me to go out to the movies anymore.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »
That has happened to me occasionally friend. Movie burn=out can happen. I remember after watching Brokeback Mountain so many times in the theater, I just couldn't bring myself to go see another movie. I think the next movie I saw after that was Little Miss Sunshine. I also burnt out after The Hours came out. It was a depressing, though beautiful movie. There are so many depressing movies with sad endings. Last week I needed an escape after hearing the tragic news about our friend Rich. I saw The Kids Are All Right and it perked me up (although there are a couple of depressing scenes in that one as well). I hope you do see that movie, friend, because there's a burning question I want to ask you about Nic and Jules' video watching preferences. Is that for real??

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2010, 09:53:23 am »

Heya,
Yeah, honestly BBM was a total milestone for me in terms of my attitude towards other movies.  Ever since seeing BBM I'm been pretty reluctant to go see other movies.  I have seen other movies, of course, and some which I've liked quite a lot.  But, it's like having experienced BBM "perfection" very few other movies or movie-trailers seem too appealing to me.  Or, appealing enough to go out and spend money on a movie ticket. 

I've mentioned before on BetterMost that in grad school I was a teaching assistant for two different film history/theory classes.  And, it totally amazes me how much BBM had changed my whole attitude towards movies.  It's hard to articulate or explain why this happened.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2010, 10:58:49 am »
I loved The Kids Are All Right.

I went to see Dinner for Schmucks yesterday, hoping for a lot of laughter and enjoyment.  It has some very funny people in it - Steve Carell and Paul Rudd, primarily, with Jemaine Clement, Ron Livingston and others I enjoy in smaller roles.  I was disappointed.  The plot line and dialogue lacked coherence.  It was mostly really mediocre.  My favorite aspects of the movie by far were the touching little mouse dioramas that Steve Carell's character made and the hawt yet ridiculous large paintings that Jemaine Clement's character made.  When I think of those, the movie was worth it, otherwise not.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2010, 06:27:31 pm »
I went to see Dinner for Schmucks yesterday, hoping for a lot of laughter and enjoyment.  It has some very funny people in it - Steve Carell and Paul Rudd, primarily, with Jemaine Clement, Ron Livingston and others I enjoy in smaller roles.  I was disappointed.  The plot line and dialogue lacked coherence.  It was mostly really mediocre.  My favorite aspects of the movie by far were the touching little mouse dioramas that Steve Carell's character made and the hawt yet ridiculous large paintings that Jemaine Clement's character made.  When I think of those, the movie was worth it, otherwise not.

I saw DFS this weekend with my son, and totally agree. We'd both been looking forward to it, but I was disappointed, and he was, too. I like all the people in it when they're in other projects, but not this one. I think the main problem was the script. From the earliest lines, the movie seemed extremely "written," if that makes sense. Mainly, it just wasn't funny.

So needless to say that when my son asked me the very next night to take him to The Other Guys, my immediate answer was no. It seemed like just more of the same -- another dumb bromantic comedy that wouldn't be funny. The trailer didn't look that great. I'm not the hugest Will Ferrell fan and although I sometimes find Mark Wahlberg interesting I am ambivalent about him for Brokie reasons. But then, as night approached, I found myself wanting to go to a movie and knew that "The Kids Are All Right" would be a hard sell for a 14-year-old boy. So I capitulated to TOG. And tell you what, it turned out to be worth seeing. The characters were appealing, the script was outright funny in parts, and it had a nice mildly political message, underscored by the graphics that accompany the closing credits.

So you never know.