Author Topic: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?  (Read 81391 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What's on your summer Must-Watch Movie List?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:58 am »
I saw DFS this weekend with my son, and totally agree. We'd both been looking forward to it, but I was disappointed, and he was, too. I like all the people in it when they're in other projects, but not this one. I think the main problem was the script. From the earliest lines, the movie seemed extremely "written," if that makes sense. Mainly, it just wasn't funny.

So needless to say that when my son asked me the very next night to take him to The Other Guys, my immediate answer was no. It seemed like just more of the same -- another dumb bromantic comedy that wouldn't be funny. The trailer didn't look that great. I'm not the hugest Will Ferrell fan and although I sometimes find Mark Wahlberg interesting I am ambivalent about him for Brokie reasons. But then, as night approached, I found myself wanting to go to a movie and knew that "The Kids Are All Right" would be a hard sell for a 14-year-old boy. So I capitulated to TOG. And tell you what, it turned out to be worth seeing. The characters were appealing, the script was outright funny in parts, and it had a nice mildly political message, underscored by the graphics that accompany the closing credits.

So you never know.

I can't remember - what's Mark Wahlberg's Brokie issue?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2010, 01:06:46 am »
Eat Pray Love

Charlie St. Cloud

The Kids Are All Right

I doubt I'll have a chance to see them in theater though. So, I'll wait for them to come out on DVD. :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2010, 01:46:40 am »

Who knows?

But he's as homophobic as hell,...  at least that's what I've heard. So I spit on his name.

*pfft pfft!*

And to think it was gay men who launched him to celebrity status in the first place.

Marky Mark anyone?

He screwed us, and I have an issue. :laugh:

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2010, 08:29:07 am »

At one point, he and Joaquin Phoenix were set to play Jack and Ennis, but MW backed out because of the sexual nature.  I don't recall if he said anything specific.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2010, 11:10:33 am »
At one point, he and Joaquin Phoenix were set to play Jack and Ennis, but MW backed out because of the sexual nature.  I don't recall if he said anything specific.

Yes, God forbid Mark Wahlberg do anything of a sexual nature.   ::)

Wow, not to be sacrilegious or to wish anything different, but Joaquin Phoenix would have been amazing.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2010, 12:14:57 pm »
Yes, he claims he spoke with Ang about a part in BBM, and he made some pretty despicable comments about it.

"I met with Ang Lee on that movie, I read 15 pages of the script and got a little creeped out. It was very graphic, descriptive - the spitting on the hand, getting ready to do the thing. I told Ang Lee, ‘I like you, you’re a talented guy, if you want to talk about it more…’ Thankfully, he didn’t.”

Obviously the parts eventually went to Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal who both received Oscar nominations for the film, and the movie was almost unanimously critically claimed, but Wahlberg says he had no real desire to see the film.

He adds, “I didn’t rush to see Brokeback, it’s just not my deal… Obviously, it was done in taste - look how it was received.”

But in this more recent interview, he semi-recanted:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4wnBLo67u0[/youtube]

And still more recently (4/28/10):

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/ent/amyandrews_gossipgirl/mark-whalbergs-priest-told-him-no-brokeback-mountain-92340764.html

This week the National Enquirer reports that Wahlberg turned down the role on the advice of his priest:

"The 38-year-old reformed bad boy relies on his closest confidante and longtime religious mentor, the Rev. James Flavin, to help him pick and choose his parts. 'Mark is a practicing Catholic, and he never makes a final decision on a starring role until Father Flavin gives his OK,' an insider revealed to The Enquirer.

'Mark says he owes his career to Father Flavin. 'Father Flavin pushes Mark to honor his religious roots,' said the source. 'Even though Mark was offered one of the leads in Brokeback Mountain, he passed because of the gay subject matter, which clashes with Catholic doctrine.'

So now Catholic doctrine is saying its a sin to even pretend to be gay? Wow that's comprehensive. It's also really, really hypocritical.

Because, of course, playing a coke and meth-addicted hustler with a 10-inch you know what in Boogie Nights was just fine. Nothing objectionable about that. No doubt Father Flavin gave him the go-ahead. And let's not forget it was walking around in his underwear onstage at every opportunity that made him famous (as a gay pin-up, among other things).

To me, he just doesn't seem like the brightest bulb. So far, I find I can watch him in a movie and for the most part set aside my reservations about the real-life actor, the way I do with Tom Cruise and just about everyone except maybe Mel Gibson.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2010, 12:16:17 pm »
I'm actually really glad the original casting idea didn't work out.  I'm not a fan of either Joaquin Phoenix or Mark Wahlberg.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »
Speaking of Joaquin Pheonix, a poster for that "documentary" about him by Casey Affleck has recently surfaced.  The film is called I'm Still Here and it's billed as "A documentary on Joaquin Phoenix's transition from the acting world to a career as an aspiring rapper."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1356864/

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2010, 04:10:58 pm »
Inception was the best movie I have seen in 4 years.

I'm going to see it again, and I never do that unless the movie is really good.

It's a movie that makes you think, and also the special effects are excellent.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2010, 04:13:45 pm »
I'm actually really glad the original casting idea didn't work out.  I'm not a fan of either Joaquin Phoenix or Mark Wahlberg.

I like Joaquin but Mark Wahlberg is one of very few actors that I actually go out of my way to avoid.
If Mark had been in Brokeback, I would never have seen it, and I suspect I wouldn´t have missed much if I hadn´t.