Author Topic: Can someone explain Steve Carell to me?  (Read 6575 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Can someone explain Steve Carell to me?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 03:00:54 pm »
Will Ferrell looks to me like he's trying too hard, even when he's not even moving.

Ooh.  GOOD call.  (And not at all in an endearing, Jack-ish way, either.)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 03:10:45 pm »
Among the legion of movies I haven't seen is The Wedding Singer. How was Adam Sandler in that, I'm wonderin'?

I haven't seen it either. But I've heard that of all the typical Adam Sandlerish movies, that's his best one.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 03:29:35 pm »
Steve Carell's character is so annoying and buffoonish and insensitive and clueless and self-centered and un-PC and unwittingly sexist and racist and cowardly and obnoxious and, yes, smug that you laugh at him. Not with him, at him. ... Carell's character is basically repulsive. Yet there's also this tiny little grain of dorky vulnerability and well-meaningness that makes you not entirely hate him.

In last night's show, for example, I loved when he was giving the filmmakers (for those who haven't seen it, the premise of the show is that it's a documentary being filmed by an unseen camera guy and interviewer) a know-it-allish tour around Manhattan, boasting about what a great city it is and how at home he feels there, and every single thing he said about the city was incorrect.

See, somebody that fatuous, I just want to slap. I might pity him a little bit. ... I hope. I also don't care for that documentary premise, but that's another issue altogether.

I like all the other characters, too. I'm always sad when it's over.

Tell you what, that tall guy with the shaggy blond Dutch-boy haircut and the biggish nose, he's kinda cute.

(I like Earl, too -- the two shows complement each other really well.)

Earl? He's kinda foxy. ...  ;D

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 03:58:52 pm »
Tell you what, that tall guy with the shaggy blond Dutch-boy haircut and the biggish nose, he's kinda cute.

Earl? He's kinda foxy. ...  ;D

Agreed on both.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 11:29:34 pm »
Yeah, I don't get him either.

I watched his show once and squirmed so much, I was shocked to realize I was bored.  Same thing happened when I happened to catch 'Scrubs' by mistake.  I sat there thinking "People think they're funny?  This show has been on for years!'  I didn't think they were funny or even decent actors at all.  It was painful to watch.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »
Sorry Jeff, i can't explain it, but I do like "The Office", and Steve Carell.  I think he's cute.  ;D

Two I don't get have been mentioned here, are Adam Sandler and Will Farrel.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!