Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90853 times)

Offline bailey1205

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2009, 08:09:52 pm »
Uh, sorry Bill, but it was open for viewing of guests.  Too many of us went in there and read it.

It has probably been deleted and cleaned up now, but we saw before that happened.

Sorry, but that is a fact.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2009, 08:15:09 pm »
Or, you could ask Jess and Brad.

I'm sure they would own up to it.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2009, 08:20:31 pm »
From Jess' comments at The Retreat, it's pretty obvious that she is reading this thread.  So I have one more thing to say then I'm done.

Jess was not made to leave because the mods didn't like her, she was made to leave for her repeated personal attacks on people, often driving them away from Bettermost completely (myself included).  She was warned time and time again and yet chose to ignore those warnings.

As far as I'm concerned my grievances have nothing whatsoever to do with politics, or personal disagreements or dislikes.   

Posts have been taken from here for the sole purpose of mocking and ridiculing the poster, in the most cruel and cowardly way.

I can't quote them directly anymore because the offending remarks have been removed but calling Gary a "Nasty boy" "Flower girl" "The token victim" "Naif" "Clever manipulator" "'tard", to name but a few, is horrible and really rather pathetic.

We don't all have to be friends with one another ... that would be asking for the impossible ... but I would hope that our basic common decency would stop us from taking delight in ripping people to shreds.

And I'm done ....

ps.... a note to you androphiles .... being bitchy and catty about other people behind their backs  is very ........... "girly"  8) 

And after that childish remark I really am done  :)

I can't speak for androphiles, but I have no problem calling myself a gay man, cuz that is what I am. But, the androphiles most definitely do not have a monopoly on catty behavior.

As far as my friend Jess is concerned, ultimately she was made to leave because she fundamentally disagreed with the majority, and wouldn't make any compromises in her statements defending her beliefs, esp those which concern gay men. Her disagreement with members here should not have lead to her expulsion. Do people say things in the heat of argument that are "catty"? Sure they do. So, what?

So, what were the real reasons for Jess's expulsion? Frankly, I don't want run away personal attacks either, but the definition of what is and what is not a personal attack is VERY flexible. And what it came down to concerning Jess's posts, was the individual "complainer" was given permission to define her comments as personal attacks at their own personal whim, and the mods enforced that policy. It was almost to the point that Jess could have said "good morning", and someone would have complained.

IMO it is this type of whining more than anything else that hurts open and interesting discussion on social networking forums, in fact it hurts far more than an incidental personal attack.  

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2009, 08:23:05 pm »
Brokeplex ... this is the only quote I can give you ... I copied it before it was removed ....

Quote from Judgeholden  ...

To be honest with you, these days I mostly scroll thru her posts or skim (No doubt she does the same w/ mine): Louise "blah blah blah", Cottle [fiddle theme from the Ken Burns Civil War series playing mournfully]: "I was born dirt poor ina cabin on a mountainside in Kentucky, my Daddy was blind, my Mamma was lame and we had a 3-legged dog with emphysema...[morphs into Lorretta singin Coal Miners Daughter]", till Isee if Milo wrote something of interest in response to one of these 'tards..

....... pretty childish in my opinion .....

I'm glad you were able to copy that Susie in case we were questioned?
I suspected we would be, but too many of us read that thread.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2009, 08:23:46 pm »
Uh, sorry Bill, but it was open for viewing of guests.  Too many of us went in there and read it.

It has probably been deleted and cleaned up now, but we saw before that happened.

Sorry, but that is a fact.

then I didn't see what you saw. and I will take your word for it.  :)

however what I have saw today and yesterday is an orderly rational dialog about how social networking forums should function.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2009, 08:24:26 pm »
I can't speak for androphiles, but I have no problem calling myself a gay man, cuz that is what I am. But, the androphiles most definitely do not have a monopoly on catty behavior.

As far as my friend Jess is concerned, ultimately she was made to leave because she fundamentally disagreed with the majority, and wouldn't make any compromises in her statements defending her beliefs, esp those which concern gay men. Her disagreement with members here should not have lead to her expulsion. Do people say things in the heat of argument that are "catty"? Sure they do. So, what?

So, what were the real reasons for Jess's expulsion? Frankly, I don't want run away personal attacks either, but the definition of what is and what is not a personal attack is VERY flexible. And what it came down to concerning Jess's posts, was the individual "complainer" was given permission to define her comments as personal attacks at their own personal whim, and the mods enforced that policy. It was almost to the point that Jess could have said "good morning", and someone would have complained.

IMO it is this type of whining more than anything else that hurts open and interesting discussion on social networking forums, in fact it hurts far more than an incidental personal attack.  

You are entitled to your opinion.

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2009, 08:27:56 pm »
Playing the 'victim' can come from many corners.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »
Brokeplex ... this is the only quote I can give you ... I copied it before it was removed ....

To be honest with you, these days I mostly scroll thru her posts or skim (No doubt she does the same w/ mine): Louise "blah blah blah", Cottle [fiddle theme from the Ken Burns Civil War series playing mournfully]: "I was born dirt poor ina cabin on a mountainside in Kentucky, my Daddy was blind, my Mamma was lame and we had a 3-legged dog with emphysema...[morphs into Lorretta singin Coal Miners Daughter]", till Isee if Milo wrote something of interest in response to one of these 'tards..

3 legged dog? sound like a tableaux straight out of "Tobacco Road".  :laugh: I have no idea what all that quotation meant.

My disagreements are mostly political and I try to not make comments about social upbringing. We don't chose our parents. It is what we do with the rest of our lives that counts.

I have been very candid about my disagreements with the majority on Bettermost concerning political issues, but it may surprise you that I also disagree substantially with many on the Retreat as well. I feel that even though I disagree with the majority on the Retreat concerning same sex marriage ( I am a loud advocate for) and Sarah Palin ( I wish she would just go away and disappear) my posts have been treated with respect and a dialog has been established. Sometimes, on Bettermost, dialog broke down very quickly when anyone who disagreed with the majority posted anything contrarian. Of course, I've got a duraniun hull, I am able to get out my photon torpedoes and strike back. The "problem" that many on the Retreat have discussed is this : when the ideological minority struck back at the majority, someone always complained to the mods, and the censorship started. And that whining was the problem, not the disagreements.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2009, 08:39:52 pm »
 :o O.M.G.  :(

There was a time I at least respected JudgeHolden. Not any more.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:33 pm »

So I'm afraid you are mistaken if you think we're all a bunch a whiney little girls.

"whiney little girls"?  in all candor, I respected almost 100% of the women over here and found that they were much more resilient and able in debating, and didn't notice them whining.

as for the other gender - that was the source of most of the whining. frankly,  it is an almost universal fact that most men in all cultures do not respect other men who frequently whine.