Author Topic: Getting the cat to the vet  (Read 10163 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Getting the cat to the vet
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 02:39:51 pm »
Dang Roland, maybe you should have called a Taxi, that was a hell of a trip to pick him up.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 05:59:52 pm »
3 days later ...

Yesterday we went outdoors for (maybe) 10 minutes. That was just 2 days after the operation...

This afternoon, I let Tache out for a couple of hours on his own. Then, when I went out to do a bit of gardening, he kept close by. He followed me indoors when I had finished. Guess we're going to spent the night indoors again.

Oh, and there's a new favourite spot of his - the window sill in the living room - which gives about the same view as the front stoop.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 10:02:59 am »
Im taking my cat to the vet today.. i'll let you know of any funny stories!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 06:47:49 pm »
.. he was fine - just did his usual pitiful meiowing the whole time he was in the box!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:07 pm »
Tache has just discovered the wonders of catnip  ::)

His catnip filled stuffed toy (a mouse), one of 5 Bryan gave him tonight, is definitively his favourite.

All toys are now in the closet for the night.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 01:50:16 am »

I'm loving these cat stories! :)  Tache is certainly one lucky cat to have found such a nice home.  I'm glad that it sounds like you and Tache are both having fun adjusting to your new connection and living arrangements. 

Yeah, catnip can be so funny.  Once in a while I'll grow fresh catnip and/or cat-grass (usually some kind of wheat grass or oat grass) for Vivien.  She loves it, and will nibble on the fresh leaves.  She acutally usually prefers the grass-type plants in the fresh form.  But, yup, she has lots of mice and other toys stuffed with dried catnip.  It's guaranteed to make her a bit hyper if she plays with catnip too long.

If you grow fresh catnip (or other cat plants) I recommend doing it indoors in pots.  Growing catnip outdoors can be bad news in terms of attracting lots of cats in the neighborhood (which can become complicated).  When I was a teenager my Dad planted catnip in our garden (to cut ant bring inside for out indoor cat), and it was a mistake. LOL!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 05:02:06 pm »
I keep growing catnip indoors and one of my cats who loves it (the other it has no effect on) keeps destroying it by rubbing against it, nibbling it and finally laying on it until it's dead.

One pot of catnip is no match for a cat addict.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2009, 06:59:44 pm »
catnip on some of their bedding makes them comfortable in the travel case. my older cat has been transported to the vet and the cat hotel many times  thru the years, so she is quiescent about the experience, the younger male whines a bit and the experience unnerves him. however, my strategy has always been to put out the travel case a few days before the "event", talk to them about the travel that is coming up, and then on that day, just pick them up and place them in their individual cases. I also talk to them while we are driving to the vet and stay with them at the vets for at least 30 minutes, and tell them when I will return to fetch them back home.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 01:02:24 am »

Heya Roland!  How are things going with your new cat?  It's so cute that the cat kind of adopted you.  Is he healing up well?  LOL, from your earlier posts it sounds like he's immediately displaying classice, favorite cat behaviors.  The lining of the shower curtain thing seems to be an almost universal love of many or most cats.

Since he's changing from being an outdoor, independent cat to being an indoor/outdoor pet... is he showing affection?  Does he like to sit on your lap, etc.?  Or, is he mostly still interested in the practical things... like food?  It must be a really interesting transition phase for the cat psychologically.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 05:00:04 am »
Yup! He's pretty affectionate. Wants to sit on my lap when I'm watching TV. Tends to want to follow me around a lot whenever I'm outside (or rather, likes to play 'you can't catch me' games of running around). But I haven't been outside all that much and when indoors, whether I'm at the computer or in front of the TV, he'll come over and ask if he can be on my lap. Still not been on the bed though.

Having said that, I couldn't get him to go outside to eat last evening when I was about to leave for 'pool night' (left at 5 pm) and, as a consequence, Tache insisted on spending the night out after I got home (got back near 11 pm). It was the first warm night, 15c, in a long time.

Again today I'll be gone for some 5 hours around lunch time, so I'm not expecting him to stay in for that - but he might.

Bryan's already planning to spend a week at my place on the holidays while I'm gone to Timmins.

It's all about the cat now.

Tache use to be an outside cat - not so much anymore.