Author Topic: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS  (Read 34778 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: A Mind-Messin' Quiz Question for all you Donnie Darkologists.
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2006, 01:48:21 am »
Not having seen the credits and not having access to my DVD right now (not that I would have cheated or anything ;)), I'll take a flyer at Eddie and Elizabeth.

Nope, the true answer is way more Mind-Messin' than that, but thanks for playing, Barb.  This is an open book test.  Anybody want to blow our minds with the answer?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 01:50:00 am by Ellemeno »

vkm91941

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2006, 01:57:26 am »
James Richard Kelly writer and director of Donnie Darko, is the son of Lane Kelly and Ennis Kelly of Midlothian, Virginia  ::) and yes I cheated because Elle said it was an open book test.... ;)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2006, 02:07:24 am »
James Richard Kelly writer and director of Donnie Darko, is the son of Lane Kelly and Ennis Kelly of Midlothian, Virginia  ::) and yes I cheated because Elle said it was an open book test.... ;)

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!

We have a winner!  Thanks for playing, Victoria.  It is kind of Mind-Messin', isn't it?

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Donnie Darko - SPOILERS
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 02:13:22 am »
Okay, I'm ready to talk a bit about my Donnie Darko experience.  It freaked me out, but compelled me too.  I've read all kinds of stuff on it now.  I have listened to "Mad World" about 50 times since I first heard it a few days ago.

While I thought I was pretty much "getting it" as I watched it the first time, turns out I didn't hardly get nothin' (based on listening to the the writer/director's commentary).  How weird is it that I like my version of understanding it better than I like his. 

I am going to watch the Director's Cut soon, though it sounds like I have seen a lot of the additions already in the deleted/extended scenes on the first DVD.

I am astonished by how many references there have been to DD under my very nose and I didn't realize it - our users Sparkle Motion and hungry, hungry hippos, for example.

And last (for now), I was IN the Aero Theater with starboardlight, henrypie, and others.  It's where AnglessFest took place (where Heath, Jake, Michelle, Diana, Gustavo, and Rodrigo were a very few feet away from us).  One of our gang at the time mentioned that it was the theater you see in DD, but not having seen it yet, that didn't make much of an impression on me.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 08:16:12 pm »
While I thought I was pretty much "getting it" as I watched it the first time, turns out I didn't hardly get nothin' (based on listening to the the writer/director's commentary).  How weird is it that I like my version of understanding it better than I like his.

Me too.  Not being particularly into the Christian angle, I didn't at all get that he was supposed to be a Christ figure and it was about god and destiny and blah blah.  I was more into the time travel paradox thinking and the eternal question we all ask ourselves - if we knew then what we know now, would we do X differently? - and things like, it's all in Donnie's head.  He's really insane and never left his bed.

I am astonished by how many references there have been to DD under my very nose and I didn't realize it - our users Sparkle Motion and hungry, hungry hippos, for example.

Heh.  Surprise!   ;D

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 10:36:30 am »
Some Donnie Darko moments. Sorry the pictures are so dark but they're like that at I heart Jake web site, where I took them from.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 10:57:37 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2006, 10:51:54 am »
MAJOR SPOILERS

On fear and love

Donnie: Ling Ling finds a wallet on the ground filled with money. She takes the wallet to the address on the driver's license but keeps the money inside the wallet.

Donnie: I-I'm sorry Mrs. Farmer. I don't get this.Life isn't that simple. I mean who cares if Ling Ling returns the wallet and keeps the money? It has nothing to do with either fear or love.

Mrs. Farmer: Fear and love are the deepest of human emotions.

Donnie: Okay. But you're not listening to me. There are other things that need to be taken into account here. Like the whole spectrum of human emotion. You can't just lump everything into these two categories and then just deny everything else!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2006, 10:56:20 am »
Major Spoilers

"Smurfette doesn't fuck..."

Donnie: First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village. But the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have... reproductive organs under those little, white pants. It's just so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. You know, what's the point of living... if you don't have a dick?

Sean Smith: [pause] Dammit, Donnie. Why you gotta get all smart on us?

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2006, 04:09:29 pm »
OK, I used to be one of those folks who hadn't seen Donnie Darko yet, therefore avoided this thread. I just saw it last night. Wow. I really need to see it again before I can say anything about it.

Just so ya'll know, watching DD after midnight, alone in a dorm room, in a mostly empty building (most people didn't move in till today) is NOT the way to go. Maybe my roommate will want to watch it with me.  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2006, 04:48:15 am »
I also saw the movie again, saw it the first time in 2001 and didn't understand a thing... Well, that improved slightly, but I still have a hard time understanding the ending.

I absolutely LOVED the smurf dialogue, god, that was hilarious!!!! :laugh: