Author Topic: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!  (Read 50210 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2009, 06:49:20 am »

That's scary. If he can't write "Brokeback", what are the chances that he can write an opera?

http://www.charleswuorinen.com/brokeback.html

My eye was bugged by the words, but I kept assuming it was because it was all caps, and I just sort of avoided looking at it.

Isn't he all atonal and shit?  If notes are beside the point, maybe spelling is too.  

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00eG0lvdPg[/youtube]
(BTW, you aren't the John who posted this YouTube, are you?)   :o

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2009, 12:46:38 pm »

It continues with:

Organizers are planning to return to "Brokeback Mountain" with a performance of fiction and other literature written by "Brokies" -- an informal group of fans who strongly identify with the film.

Eric Hooper (!!!!), who lives in San Jose, is a Brokie who said he has seen the movie 56 times in theaters, flying across the country to catch screenings at various festivals and events.

The movie came as a revelation, he said, after living in a city for most of his adult life. "That's what really struck me about 'Brokeback' -- it presented the possibility of being gay and living in rural America."

Tee-hee.  ;D

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2009, 01:14:27 pm »
Isn't he all atonal and shit?

"12-tone" or "serial" is more accurate. Such music is tonal to the extent that it uses the 12 standard tone relationships found in western music. Think: "notes that can be found on the piano." This is different from microtonalism, which divides the octave into more than 12 tones. I sang a musical/opera once by a composer named Harry Partch that divided the octave into 43 tones. Other composers of microtonal music come up with their own divisions of the octave. Compared to Partch's microtonalism, Wourinen's music sounds like "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00eG0lvdPg[/youtube]
(BTW, you aren't the John who posted this YouTube, are you?)   :o

No, I didn't do that.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2009, 04:00:48 pm »
Greg Hinton asked us if it was ok to call us 'Brokies'

We said "you bet" !

Yay!!!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2009, 04:03:13 pm »
I own the domain name "Brokies.org".  ;D

Wow. That's awesome John!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2009, 04:09:33 pm »
Tell you what really felt good was when Gregory Hinton welcomed the Brokies at the start of the discussion and we all stood up and everyone applauded.

Oh, double wow!!!

what an awesome event for y'all to be part of!!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:46 pm »
No, I didn't do that.

Oh god, am I relieved to hear that, John!!!

;D

Offline Sammi

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:54 pm »
what an awesome event for y'all to be part of!!!

I agree - the whole thing is very cool John.  Nice!

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2009, 07:20:33 pm »
Wilshire & Washington on Variety.com

The "Brokeback" Vote, Reconsidered

Much has changed in the years since "Brokeback Mountain," having won nearly all the major awards leading up to the Oscars in 2006, was rejected in favor of "Crash" for the ultimate best picture trophy.

Same-sex relationships have gained a greater acceptance, even if the idea of marriage has progressed in fits and starts.

One of the most prominent critics of the Academy that year, the Los Angeles Times Kenneth Turan, believes that the vote would have turned out differently today.

"I can still feel my anger," Turan said at a recent panel on the movie as part of Out West, a new series at the Autry National Center of the American West. "I really think that if the Academy could have a do over they would vote for 'Brokeback.' I think that their decision over time has come to seem less acceptable and less like the right thing."

----------------------------------------------------

"Brokeback" has lived on in the form of "Brokies" fan groups, who write their own stories of the characters and continue to watch the movie, over and over again. Its lines are still part of the cultural lexicon. And the fact that the Autry Museum is spotlighting "Brokeback," and the gay west in general, is considered something of an achievement.

The idea that Academy voters acted on their unspoken prejudices in 2006 is a much debated theory, and one that never can be proven. But it's hard to doubt something else that Turan wrote that night, a prediction that the movie would stand the test of time in ways that "Crash" would not: "Sometimes you win by losing."

http://www.wilshireandwashington.com/2009/12/the-brokeback-vote-reconsidered.html

Wilshire & Washington highlights the enduring relationship between entertainment and politics. More than a mere curiosity, the intersection of these worlds play out daily in fund raising, celebrity causes, show business lobbying and creative expression. Variety managing editor Ted Johnson provides the daily dose with contributions from reporters in L.A. and D.C.

Winner, Blog of the Year 2008, Southern California Journalism Awards.