Author Topic: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!  (Read 50212 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: "Whatever Happened to Ennis del Mar?" panel in LA!
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 03:10:20 pm »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 05:10:31 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 05:43:22 pm »

And here's where it started:

Brokeback Mountains And Molehills

http://truewest.ning.com/profiles/blogs/brokeback-mountains-and
Cool item! True West had some good coverage of the movie when it came out. Was that also where AP published her first stories?

I love the pink "2" in the movie poster and "The Fur Traders" hehe! But I think they should be Chilean sheepmistresses.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 06:19:20 pm »
Any volunteers for an interview??

Message from Gregory Hinton today:

Hi John: We are planning to film this event, and I wonder if you can designate a spokesperson from your group who would agree to a brief interview... The press is intrigued with the Forum as they are with the Gay Rodeo association. Just so I don't offend, is "Brokie" a term you all like?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:59 pm »

And here's where it started:

Brokeback Mountains And Molehills

http://truewest.ning.com/profiles/blogs/brokeback-mountains-and

Darn, looks like some of the juicy posts have been deleted....   :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »
Just so I don't offend, is "Brokie" a term you all like?

:laugh: :laugh:  What a fabulous question!!  I love it!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 04:44:16 pm »
This was posted today on Down With Tyranny

What Ever Happened To Ennis Del Mar? The Contributions Of Gays To The Olde American West

Wednesday, New York State joined California and Maine in voting down marriage equality. That same day, I learned that the Autry National Center, just a hop, skip and a jump from where I live in Los Angeles, had recently become the first institution of its kind to formally acknowledge the contributions of the LGBT community to Western American culture. On December 13, they will launch Out West, a four-part year-long series exploring the topic, with the program “What Ever Happened To Ennis Del Mar?”  L.A. Times film critic Kenneth Turan, USC Professor William Handley and Pitzer Professor Peter Nardi are on a panel moderated by University of New Mexico Professor Virginia Scharff. It seemed timely to support the strides that have been made with the Autry’s unprecedented programming-- remarkable for a conservative institution, especially given what is transpiring in the political arena-- and to point out the importance of engaging in such discussions.  To that end, I invited author and filmmaker Gregory Hinton, who conceived the Out West series, to post about the project:

OUT WEST AT THE AUTRY

-by Gregory Hinton

Like a molten branding iron, the acclaimed Laramie Project and the groundbreaking Brokeback Mountain seared into the collective national consciousness the notion that it might not be so easy to be Gay in the West. Both were deeply elegiac yet phenomenally successful, critically and commercially. And it makes me wonder.

If it’s really so bad in the rural west, why does anybody gay stay? With all the risks, what are the rewards? What’s it really like to be Gay or Lesbian and ‘out’ in the American West?

The rewards are many for those LGBTs who remain in the rural West. For those of us who come from the west, it is in our blood and never lets us go.

To that point, I recently returned to Wyoming with the ashes of my older brother, who also happened to be gay and scattered them, per his wishes, (with those of his partner of thirty years) in the Crazy Woman Creek in the blue shadow of the Big Horn Mountains. After decades in urban Southern California, my western brother yearned for his rural past till the end.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-ever-happened-to-ennis-del-mar.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 07:14:04 pm »
I mentioned to Gregory that Brokenback Mountain is just a few miles from Crazy Woman Creek, and that several of us have been to the creek and canyon.

his reply:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very, very touched by your first note. It was my brother's birthday yesterday. We were very close.

I spent a month at the Ucross Foundation (an arts retreat) near Sheridan last February. Annie Proulx is on the board and wrote portions of Close Range and Shipping News there.

The first day, they took us into the hills on what I now call "The Brokeback Tour."  Our guide pointed out a forlorn cabin owned by someone named Childress, which is where she got the name of Jack Twist's town in Texas.

She also told us that Ang Lee scouted locations here at Proulx's request. This may be folklore, but he apparently stopped at a bar down the road from Ucross, and got thrown out by the owner who did not like Asians or Gays and that's why he took his business to Canada.

It rattled me. It changed the dynamic of the entire retreat, which was already charged with the fact that I was doing research about my wonderful dad and had the ashes of my brother and his lover in my studio.

When I scattered them in the creek on a clear, cold February morning, they were reunited forever.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 07:40:44 pm »
I mentioned to Gregory that Brokenback Mountain is just a few miles from Crazy Woman Creek, and that several of us have been to the creek and canyon.

his reply:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very, very touched by your first note. It was my brother's birthday yesterday. We were very close.

I spent a month at the Ucross Foundation (an arts retreat) near Sheridan last February. Annie Proulx is on the board and wrote portions of Close Range and Shipping News there.

The first day, they took us into the hills on what I now call "The Brokeback Tour."  Our guide pointed out a forlorn cabin owned by someone named Childress, which is where she got the name of Jack Twist's town in Texas.

She also told us that Ang Lee scouted locations here at Proulx's request. This may be folklore, but he apparently stopped at a bar down the road from Ucross, and got thrown out by the owner who did not like Asians or Gays and that's why he took his business to Canada.

It rattled me. It changed the dynamic of the entire retreat, which was already charged with the fact that I was doing research about my wonderful dad and had the ashes of my brother and his lover in my studio.

When I scattered them in the creek on a clear, cold February morning, they were reunited forever.
thank you for posting. Beautiful and interesting

Offline BayCityJohn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • BBM Foundation
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »
Julian Ayrs has posted info for the event on his blog 'The Tattler'

http://ijulian.blogspot.com/2009/12/gene-autry-museumout-west-series-to.html