Author Topic: BetterMost Halloween Party 2009  (Read 23948 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: BetterMost Halloween Party 2009
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 02:18:12 pm »
BTW, it's already evening in my time zone. While I'm partying here with you, having drinks and food and goodies, my kids are out there trick or treating. Other kids too, of course. Every few minutes the door bell rings and hubby gives out some candy (since I'm busy here with you).

It's funny how internet and RL are coordinated simultaneously :).

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 02:20:12 pm »
Anyone need a hand?

That is a meatloaf hand!

That's just plain gross! (just the right stuff for this thread, lol)
But really, I would never-ever eat this, not on your f'in life!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 02:20:55 pm »
BTW, it's already evening in my time zone. While I'm partying here with you, having drinks and food and goodies, my kids are out there trick or treating. Other kids too, of course. Every few minutes the door bell rings and hubby gives out some candy (since I'm busy here with you).

It's funny how internet and RL are coordinated simultaneously :).

Awww! How cute!

I wish it was time for the kids to be trick or treating here in Indiana. We still have to wait for a few more hours! They normally start coming sometime around 7 pm. :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 02:24:34 pm »
Those witch fingers and the meatloaf hand are both disgusting...... and fascinating!!   :P  :o ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 02:27:43 pm »
And more internet and RL simultaneousness (is that a word?):

Hubby called me for dinner. Will be back soon.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »
That one actually sounds delicious, Chrissi.  I love lychees.

I think it sounds really tasty too! :)

And, Sason.. thanks for telling us about godis!  I've never heard of that kind of candy before.

I'd love to hear more about Halloween traditions in other countries... or if Halloween is even celebrated in various countries.  I'd also love to learn more about traditional sweets from around the world.
 :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 02:34:15 pm »
I think it sounds really tasty too! :)

And, Sason.. thanks for telling us about godis!  I've never heard of that kind of candy before.

I'd love to hear more about Halloween traditions in other countries... or if Halloween is even celebrated in various countries.  I'd also love to learn more about traditional sweets from around the world.
 :D

Me too Amanda! I always enjoy learning about the customs in other countries. I think it is fascinating. I started a "Christmas Customs" thread several years ago asking our members to tell us how they celebrate Christmas where they live. I always looked forward to reading it as the new posts came in. That thread was quite active for awhile. Maybe we can get it going again this Christmas.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 02:36:12 pm »
Enjoy your dinner Chrissi!

I think it is safe for me to assume there won't be any hands on the menu at your house tonight! :laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 03:30:48 pm »
Enjoy your dinner Chrissi!

I think it is safe for me to assume there won't be any hands on the menu at your house tonight! :laugh:

I did, thanks. And you're right, no fingers or hands on the menu. In fact, nothing halloween-y at all.
Halloween came up here only a few years ago. I have a sweet anecdote from today:

My youngest child (six years) asked me what my favorite thing was about Halloween when I was a kid. I felt quite old when I replied: "When I was a child, we didn't have Halloween." You should have seen his face! :laugh: "What - no Halloween? Why? How? Go tell, mom."

Yep, it's true. When I was a child, Halloween was completely unknown in Germany. Later I learned about it and its origins in school, in English class. They call it Landeskunde (applied geography) and it belongs to learning foreign languages. You also learn about the history, customs, traditions, political system and ways of life in the country/countries you learn the language of.

Anyway, Halloween stayed unnoticed in Germany until maybe ten or twelve years ago. Then the shops suddenly had Halloween decorations, pumpkins became fancy, and so on. That was around the time when the children also started to go trick or treating.

I refused to go trick or treating with my children. It seemed (still seems) like begging to me. Anyway, my sister-in-law always went trick or treating with her kids, and she took mine along. We always use the costumes from carnival, and I paint the children's faces.
Two years ago was the only time I went trick or treating (with my youngest). And I disliked every moment of it. I felt embarrased, begging for sweets. But my SIL's kids were old enough to go alone, as were my girls, but the little one was too young to go without an adult.
Now I'm out of the trick or treating quandary. All my children are old enough to go alone (and look after their little brother) :).

Halloween still is an almost exclusive children's thing here. No Halloween decorations, let alone parties, in offices, no costumes for adults. But it changes. There are Halloween parties organised in danceclubs or such, and the twens are the target audience.

And I? I love celebrating Halloween on BetterMost! :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 03:42:32 pm »

And I? I love celebrating Halloween on BetterMost! :D

And we love celebrating it with you! :-*

Thanks for telling us about your Halloween experiences and about Halloween in Germany. I was pleasantly surprised when you said your kids were out trick or treating. I was under the impression they didn't celebrate Halloween over there.

I love Halloween! It is my favorite holiday, save Christmas. The kids get candy. The adults get to party and act all goofy for one night (and get away with it!). Lots of scary movies on TV. It's a win win situation for everyone! lol

I suppose trick or treating is a form of begging. In fact, here in Indiana some people refer to it as "begger's night" rather than Halloween. But! I think most adults would go out and BEG those kids to come to their houses, if for some reason the kids didn't show up. I think the adults enjoy the trick or treaters and seeing all the various costumes the kids are wearing, and in many cases probably have more fun than the kids!

Same thing with Christmas. Christmas in many ways is a children's holiday, but the adults get to create all the magic. And that is a lot of fun too! :D