Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Music in the Car  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Brokeback Mountain Music in the Car
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:19:15 pm »
After sampling a ton of the music channels on XM, I suspect XM13 - Willie's Place, probably best represents the music that Jack and Ennis would have spent listening to over their history together.  It's considered a honky-tonk of sorts, with a lot of western swing and old school country music, and it usually has a live announcer as well (recognized because during a technical fault last Friday, the announcer came on to apologize for it and was manually playing CDs until they got the computerized music system working again).

Of course, XM and Sirius have a range of country music outlets, but most are playing songs recorded much more recently.

Brokeback Mountain made the life changing event in me of actually tolerating country and western music, something I dismissed before the movie.  These kinds of little things are what still touch me, some eight months post-Brokeback Mountain.  And that is a sign of the seed that was planted by the film that changed me, not just because of the story up on the screen, but because it gave me a renewed sense of respect for the culture of the west, and a new interest in learning more about it.

It will be things like this that will likely carry with me for the rest of my life - a sense of permanent change brought about by an independently produced and released film.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Brokeback Mountain Music in the Car
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:35:17 pm »
I actually hated country music as a kid, you know, Minnie Pearl, George Jones, Merle Haggard (this is all you could get in remote NC in late 1940s).  Then when it became know as "country western" I hated it even more (Randy Travis sounds like chalk on a blackboard).  Then along came Emmie Lou Harris and I started liking it again.  I have always listed to Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson and the like, but since BBM I find myself searching out the newer crop of singers, and always falling back on Emmie, Willie, and Reba.

Can anyone tell me the type of music Rufus Wainwright sings?  I like "Maker Makes" but did not want to invest in a CD that may never be played again.  Can anyone recommend one by title?  Would appreciate it, and thanks.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:54:05 pm »
The only other Rufus song I know is called "Complainte de la Butte" and it is a partly-English/partly-French song featured on the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. I think it's a pretty good song; it is slow and pianic like "Maker Makes" except "MM" is a much more touching and beautiful song, I think.

I never used to like country all that much either. Now, I really like it and the somber, well-performed country songs always make me think of Brokeback.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline Rutella

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:59:56 am »
My husband gave me a huge love of some country stuff, especially alt-country, and stuff like Emmylou Harris, Gram Parsons, as well as good 'ol Willie Nelson and Glen Campbell etc. I also love Rufus Wainwright, especially his album 'Want One'. My favourite songs on it are 'Oh what a world', 'I don't know what it is' 'Movies of myself' 'Go or go ahead' '14th street' and '11:11' and I would recommend them but the whole album rocks. The BBM soundtrack got me into Teddy Thompson as well who I hadn't heard before and I love his stuff.

mvansand76

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 12:37:45 pm »
I like to think that Jack and Ennis listened to Alison Krauss. She should've done the WHOLE soundtrack for the movie, by the way. She really did spark my interest in bluegrass/country and she is all over my iPod... I also like some of the Dixie Chick's songs, such as their rendition of Landslide and More Love. But Alison Krauss and Emmylou Harris are my favorites. Years and years and years ago I heard Emmylou Harris sing her version of the Beatles song "For no one" at the Atlantic Sessions on the BBC and since then I am also hooked on her voice.  :)   

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 11:45:22 pm »
I actually hated country music as a kid, you know, Minnie Pearl, George Jones, Merle Haggard (this is all you could get in remote NC in late 1940s).  Then when it became know as "country western" I hated it even more (Randy Travis sounds like chalk on a blackboard).  Then along came Emmie Lou Harris and I started liking it again.  I have always listed to Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson and the like, but since BBM I find myself searching out the newer crop of singers, and always falling back on Emmie, Willie, and Reba.

Can anyone tell me the type of music Rufus Wainwright sings?  I like "Maker Makes" but did not want to invest in a CD that may never be played again.  Can anyone recommend one by title?  Would appreciate it, and thanks.

FYI, I believe that Bill (Impish) is a huge Rufus Wainwright fan and has a complete set of Rufus Wainwright CDs...I would suggest PM-ing him for some additional recommendations in case he doesn't see this thread.

I have always had an affinity for old country/western - those were my lullabies as a baby and I seem to have an innate ability to know all the lyrics whether I've ever heard the song before or no  :)  And I don't like a lot of the newer stuff.  Some newer c/w artists I've found I like include Alison Kraus, JoDee Messina, Dixie Chicks, and Mary Chapin Carpenter. {I wonder why they're all women?? I can't think of any newer males I care much for, tho.}

Radney Foster holds a special place in my heart b/c we share an alma mater...When he was with Foster & Lloyd, they had a pretty big hit entitled 'Texas in 1880'. 

I'm also a big fan of the singer-writer - two of my faves are James McMurtry (Larry's son) and Paul Kelly (an Australian).
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:14:19 am »
I was slowly starting to get into Country music about a year before BBM, mostly due to my ex partner.  I knew a few songs and artists, and listened once in a while, but mostly in small doses.

Since Brokeback, it's ALL I listen to.  My XM radio is glued to XM16 & XM17.  XM11 is good too, but they play commercials on that channel.  I've listened to Willie's Place on XM13 a bit.  Perhaps I'll spend some more time on that channel per Phillip's recomendation...

And ta think, I used to be a crazed techno-addicted club kid raver....  I guess we all grow up eventually.  (Although I do occasionally sneak over to XM80 & XM82 once in a great while.)  I do dig XM77 Audio Visions also...

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 02:01:04 pm »
Im in Switserland right now and all I listen to on the cd player in our car while driving through the 15000 feet (4000 meters) mountains is Brokeback Mountain and Alison Krauss... its soooo pretty here, even prettier than Brokeback Mountain... please dont shoot me...

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 06:42:19 pm »
Last month, I spent a week driving here and there in northern Minnesota, which is a mix of farms, forests and the Lake Superior shore, and all I could listen to on my CD player was either Brokeback Mountain or Soul Asylum! I just kept switching back and forth.

I know that seems like an odd combination, but somehow they complemented each other perfectly. At least for my mood at the time.

::)