Author Topic: Four (now FOURTEEN!) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?  (Read 183711 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: On this day in history - Brokies were "born"!
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2011, 01:23:25 am »
I remember I felt like a late-comer when I joined the IMDB boards. Now this thought is funny, almost six years later. :)

Me too!  :laugh:  By mid-January of 2006, I already felt like a late-comer, sort of an outsider, at imdb. The only reason I even migrated here was sort of half by chance: Jenny newyearsday, I think it was, reached out and figuratively grabbed my hand and told me to come.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: Four (now Six) Effin' Years! How will you celebrate?
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2011, 06:32:42 am »
Me too!  :laugh:  By mid-January of 2006, I already felt like a late-comer, sort of an outsider, at imdb. The only reason I even migrated here was sort of half by chance: Jenny newyearsday, I think it was, reached out and figuratively grabbed my hand and told me to come.

Aw, latjoreme, I never thought of you as a latecomer.

My story is somewhere back at the beginning of this thread.  I had been playing games on IMDb, and one of the ways I would find the best games to play was to follow the posting history of my most admired players.  I noticed that one them, Dry Toast, was posting a lot on the board of a movie with a weird name, Brokeback Mountain, so I took a look.  This was in October 2005.  I had never heard of a single person involved in the movie except for Larry McMurtry and Randy Quaid, but I got instantly hooked.  We used to watch YouTubes of compilations that were made from the LOGO documentary about it (the documentary itself wasn't on YouTube then), and read and reread the short story.  The movie came out here in Seattle on December 16th, but I flew to Richmond, Virginia that day for the holidays, and the movie wasn't out there.  So it wasn't until December 31st, 2005, that I got to see it.  I went by myself, because I wanted to be alone with it.  I went as frequently as I could for quite a long time afterward.  On February 13th, 2006, I saw it in Santa Monica, California, at the Aero Theatre, and stayed for the Q&A afterward with Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Michelle Williams, Diana Ossana, Gustavo Santaolalla, and Rodrigo Prieto (that's the order they sat in on the stage).  I would come back to IMDb and read and write obsessively about the "beloved subtle details."  On March 30th, 2006, I followed Yaadpyar here to BetterMost.  On June 12th, 2006, I watched BBM at the Castro Theatre with many of you.  In May 2007, I saw it at the BBQ in Colorado with many of you.  In July 2007, I went to Alberta with some of you and saw the film sites.  I am a Brokie.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2011, 10:02:28 am »
Aw, latjoreme, I never thought of you as a latecomer.

:-*

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2011, 02:20:57 pm »
Here in Toronto, there was a very early opportunity to see the movie as it was shown on 10 September, 2005, as part of TIFF (Toronto International Film festival). The major cast members were all in attendance as well as Ang Lee but he had to leave midway through the festival to fly back to Venice to accept his Golden Lion award. ( A six minute video of an interview with Jack, Heath, Anne, Michelle, Ang and, I think, James Schamus can still be found on YouTube).

I'd not even heard of the movie then, so saw it first on its general release here on 6 January 2006. I was so transfixed by it, that I went back to see it twice more when it was still playing in local cinemas - something I'd never done with a movie before or, indeed, since. Maybe it would have slowly faded away after that but then the DVD came out and I discovered, amongst other things, this board and since then, I don't think there's been a day when I haven't been reading something or writing something to do with the movie or short story. I don't know how long this will go on but I hope for a good while yet.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2011, 02:28:36 pm »
It just occurred to me that this year the days of the week are the same date as in 2005, so Saturday, the 10th of December, will be exactly 6 years since I first saw the movie.  I went with 3 friends to an early show, and we sat for 5 hours afterward drinkin' and talkin' and all.  8)

Yes, I thought about that too!

I suppose it will happen every 6 years.

I think we should name them 'Sacred Brokie Years'.   ;)

So 2011 is The First Sacred Brokie Year!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »
Yes, I thought about that too!

I suppose it will happen every 6 years.

I think we should name them 'Sacred Brokie Years'.   ;)

So 2011 is The First Sacred Brokie Year!   ;D
Afraid not so simple as only 2008 was a leap year, there will be 2 leap years in the next 6 years. I first saw the movie on Thursday February 9, 2006, same day next year  but from March next year the day will be different.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2011, 04:01:42 pm »
Of course Brian - I should have thought of that.   :-\

But it means that The Second Sacred Brokie Year will be in 2016!  :D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:37 am »

Awww, I love the nostalgia in this thread.  :-*

For me, I arrived here on April 6, 2006 following an invitation at imdb from latjoreme (Katherine)!  I came here for refuge from the troll wars on the main Brokeback board on imdb.  I was never a member of Chez Tremblay over there... Somehow I just didn't know about it until it was almost too late and people had moved to BetterMost.

I feel like the story of the migration from imdb to BetterMost is its own epic story.  I love the stories that folks here have of that very unusual internet phenomenon (the idea of a community picking up and moving together to a new place).  I remember of the secretiveness... secret invitations... not mentioning it on the open imdb board (for fear of trolls).  I also remember the archive and the desperate attempt to save the good, old, endlessly interesting discussion threads at imdb before they got ruined by trolls.

I miss that burning feeling of being compelled to talk about the movie/story and it's content as often and as deeply as possible.  It really was a compulsion almost at the height of Brokie fever for me back in 06 and into 07, etc.

I saw the movie for the first time only in February of 06 because it did not open in Pittsburgh until that month.  I do remember seeing it (I think) the weekend that id opened here.  But, I'm sad to say that I don't recall the first date that I saw it.  I saw it 5 times in the theater... which is the most times I've ever seen any movie in the theater and many hundreds of times since then.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2011, 12:59:27 am »
Awww, I love the nostalgia in this thread.  :-*

For me, I arrived here on April 6, 2006 following an invitation at imdb from latjoreme (Katherine)!  I came here for refuge from the troll wars on the main Brokeback board on imdb.  I was never a member of Chez Tremblay over there... Somehow I just didn't know about it until it was almost too late and people had moved to BetterMost.

I feel like the story of the migration from imdb to BetterMost is its own epic story.  I love the stories that folks here have of that very unusual internet phenomenon (the idea of a community picking up and moving together to a new place).  I remember of the secretiveness... secret invitations... not mentioning it on the open imdb board (for fear of trolls).  I also remember the archive and the desperate attempt to save the good, old, endlessly interesting discussion threads at imdb before they got ruined by trolls.

I miss that burning feeling of being compelled to talk about the movie/story and it's content as often and as deeply as possible.  It really was a compulsion almost at the height of Brokie fever for me back in 06 and into 07, etc.

I saw the movie for the first time only in February of 06 because it did not open in Pittsburgh until that month.  I do remember seeing it (I think) the weekend that id opened here.  But, I'm sad to say that I don't recall the first date that I saw it.  I saw it 5 times in the theater... which is the most times I've ever seen any movie in the theater and many hundreds of times since then.

Good tales  :D!

I remember being so Brokie feverish that, when out of town and away from my own computer, I would secretly sequester friends' computers, or go into public libraries and ask to use their computers -- including libraries in counties I had never been in before -- mainly to log onto BetterMost and argue some point of why Ennis said this or what Pa Twist meant when he said that.

I wish I could tell Phllip and John how valuable a resource this place was. I mean, I know they know. But at the same time, I wish they could hear it individually and repeatedly, from all of us, six f'in years later.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2011, 10:51:01 am »
It just occurred to me that this year the days of the week are the same date as in 2005, so Saturday, the 10th of December, will be exactly 6 years since I first saw the movie.  I went with 3 friends to an early show, and we sat for 5 hours afterward drinkin' and talkin' and all.  8)

Happy anniversary, Meryl!! Six years...damn!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"