Author Topic: April 4th announced as "Crash Day" by mayor of LA  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: April 4th announced as "Crash Day" by mayor of LA
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 10:41:07 pm »
Pardon me while I barf.  It would be crass enough in itself that the City of L.A. is doing that, but coinciding with the release of BBM on DVD?  Ptui!

Is there no end to the suck?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 10:42:35 pm »
LOL as Swoff would say... "welcome to the suck..."

seriously, the fact that it coincides with the release of Brokeback is what really gets me too
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Surf

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 10:45:44 pm »
Surf, not to, uh, show my fragile ego here... but you were saying that about the idea in general, not my post right? LOL it's hard to tell with you some times...

I was saying that about the fact that the idiot mayor of L.A. (whom I never would have voted for if I were still a resident - he had something like a D average at UCLA) would do this.  No, littleguitar it wasn't about you at all.  Not at all.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:48:17 pm by Surf »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 10:47:43 pm »
I didn't think so, but just thought I'd ask... ;D

I'm with you on the mayor, how do people like that even get voted into office?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 01:04:05 pm »
About ten minutes into it I was like OK, racism=bad. What else ya got?

I love it!  Couldn't say it better if I tried.  (And God knows I'd like to, but I'll spare ya.  This is perfect.)

And then I read down further and saw this from Meryl:  "Is there no end to the suck?"  Thank you for giving me my first laugh-out-loud of the day (it's been a particularly crappy one).   :-*
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:06:46 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline wtbgirl

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 01:09:30 pm »
WTF?!!!   OK - It's official ... HELL HAS FROZEN OVER.

LOL - Actually, I liked the Defamer's (LA gossip website) take on the whole thing (the site is NOT a fan of Crash):

"Perhaps even more disquieting than the notion that Lionsgate somehow didn't allow Haggis to fully realize his heavy-handed vision in the version that won Best Picture (we hear that in the Director's Cut, the entire movie will be split-screened with a continuous loop of the Rodney King video) is the thought of what Crash Day might entail--if the movie's vision of LA is important and accurate enough to merit this kind of recognition, a Very Special Day of staged carjackings, racially motivated traffic-stop fondlings, and redemptive, colorblind car-fire rescues seems completely unnecessary, even if there's a new DVD that needs promoting."

I'm telling you, the Scientologists have taken over ... when that fake baby "emerges" from Katie Holmes, the world is coming to a "Crashing" end.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:57:07 pm by amy7769 »

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 01:21:27 pm »
About ten minutes into it I was like OK, racism=bad. What else ya got?
Oh my god courtney! I hadn't even read this and I just typed up this review of Crash on flixster:
Would be a good TV movie, but it may aswel have been a 10min movie of someone just telling you how bad racism is. I get it, racism=bad, you don't have to shove it in my face. It hardly went anywhere and how good can a movie starring ludacris be? Why it won the Oscar I do not know, best film of 2005? I think not.
It is kind of scary! Well the saying does go: great minds think alike....fools never differ. But I will go for the great minds option. :P

p.s if you wanna get over to flixster and create an account to boost up BBM ratings over there I would be greatful, cause crash is getting 4 and 1/2 stars and BBM has only got 3 1/2! Here is the link if you wanna help:
http://www.flixster.com/movies.do?displayMovieDetail=&movieMovieId=24215
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:23:48 pm by Becky »
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 01:48:55 pm »

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

What Surf said....  ::) 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2006, 08:15:30 pm »
is the thought of what Crash Day might entail--if the movie's vision of LA is important and accurate enough to merit this kind of recognition, a Very Special Day of staged carjackings, racially motivated traffic-stop fondlings, and redemptive, colorblind car-fire rescues seems completely unnecessary, even if there's a new DVD that needs promoting.

LMAO!  This is the first thing that popped in my head.  Then the 2nd thought was...isn't this already going on in L.A.?  >:D

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 08:35:41 pm »
April 4th announced as "Crash Day" by mayor of LA

Gag me with a spoon...

"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."