Author Topic: getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story discussion)  (Read 151757 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story discussion)
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2006, 12:04:24 pm »
Back to Ennis feeling shortchanged:

I can think of two possible reasons.

The first is that, as far as Ennis is concerned, he has done what he was supposed to do. He got married. He got Alma pregnant. He worked hard, even if he preferred ranch work that he could quit easily. He tried to stick it out with Alma. And then the stability of a marriage and kids was taken away from him, because ALMA went and divorced HIM.

The second is that... maybe he was a bit jealous, at some deeply buried level, of the ease with which Alma was able to go off and marry the grocer. (The reader doesn't know about it, but Ennis did call Jack after the divorce in the story. And then there's Jack's twelve hundred mile drive for nothing. Did story-Jack mention the possibility of a "sweet life" again? Whether he did or not, the implication of that drive is that Jack essentially proposed to Ennis again, and Ennis said no. Perhaps at some level Ennis wished that he could have accepted Jack's proposal. I'm not saying that Ennis was ready to rage at the injustice of society, or to ask the ACLU to help bring a lawsuit against the state of Wyoming for discrimination in their marriage laws -- the so-called "values" of his society are too deeply embedded in Ennis for that, I think. But perhaps, at some subconscious level, Ennis feels the injustice of the situation. It's deep enough to be just a vague sense of being short-changed, rather than open frustration. But maybe that's part of it.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2006, 12:10:45 pm »
I thought of yet another reason for Ennis to feel shortchanged: he was being abandoned yet again, and yet again he was being abandoned by a woman. (Is that enough yets?) First his mother, then his sister, and finally his wife and two daughters. (I'm assuming the pickup truck that died on him was neutral.) That's a lot of abandonment for a poor young man.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2006, 12:14:36 pm »
Oh, BTW Katherine, I have had the joy of having a daughter AND a son, and while having a daughter is the fulfillment of a lifelong dream, I didn't realize how wonderful it would be to have a son until mine came along. As the nurse told me shortly after he was born, you can put your arms around your daughter and hold her, but your son will put his arms around You and hold You. I guess I was just thinking of all those annoying teenaged boys I knew when I was growing up, but when the teenaged boy is your own, he's not annoying at all (except sometimes!).  :)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2006, 09:56:54 pm »
In the scene where he says he'd be happy to leave her alone if she doesn't want no more of his kids, I read it as, "Thank god! Here's an excuse to get out of this." And in the conversation with Jack about sons vs. daughters, well, that's story vs. movie, but still I don't see that as necessarily a sign of machismo (I used to want a girl for a kid -- maybe because I am a girl -- but just got little boys, yet I'm really not THAT much of a girly-girl, and by the time they were born I was perfectly fine with it). In the Thanksgiving fiasco, I don't see Ennis as being castrated so much as going along just to be nice to his kids (not to be the "sad dad"). I see no sign that he is bothered by either his inability to support his family or Alma being impregnated by another man. He could have done either if he'd wanted to (taken the job at the electric company, had sex with Alma), but it appeared to me he didn't want to.

Here I am, as usual,  dilligently defending Ennis. But really, that's really just how I see the movie!

Again, movie Ennis is not the same as story Ennis. I didn't mean to imply that Ennis is this macho man (although he has a streak of that in him). However, his purpose for getting married was because it was expected. He was expected to sire children. He was expected to support his family. At that place and time, it would have been important to have a son. After the divorce, Ennis saw himself as failing in those areas. He fell short of society's and his own expectations. Not that he was devastated by it, but he felt gypped. I may have used too strong of words, but the essence is the same.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2006, 03:03:51 am »
He fell short of society's and his own expectations. Not that he was devastated by it, but he felt gypped. I may have used too strong of words, but the essence is the same.

Yep, I was thinking the same. I think the word shortchanged might refer to Ennis feeling, in a general way, like he hadn't gotten what people are supposed to get out of life. I don't see it in terms of feeling emasculated or castrated, a threat to his male ego. But I do think he probably imagines that the standard progression is that people get married, have kids, grow old, be happy ... and he didn't get that. So in that sense, he's shortchanged.

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2006, 03:14:52 am »
Post to find later
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Toast

Happy Ninth Brokeback
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2006, 03:42:52 pm »
The New Yorker Magazine

Just a note to remind everyone that it was on October 13, 1997
NINE YEARS AGO
that Annie Proulx saw the publication of
Brokeback Mountain
in this edition of The New Yorker Magazine.

since then it has appeared in their magazine as
a movie review,
a spoken word recording by Suzy Amis
and grist for their cartoons

What if I dont want to be Jack or Ennis.

Thank You Annie and The  New Yorker
for getting Brokeback off to a start.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2006, 12:36:54 am »
Nice post, Barbara.

:)

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2006, 12:39:48 am »
Yours too, Mel.

:)

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2006, 05:00:34 am »
With all the Tremblayans celebrating their first six months on Bettermost, I started thinking about my own anniversaries. I'll have been on Bettermost for six months next week, but more importantly to me, I first read the story almost a year ago, on October 23, 2005. I found the exact date by hunting through my livejournal... and I want to post my first reaction to the story here, in honor of the anniversary of the story's original publication.

October 25, 2005

So this weekend I was introduced to this short story by Annie Proulx (yes it is profic, but there is a copy posted on line), and I immediately read it again, and again, and again. And then I hunted down the trailer for the movie. And then I watched the trailer several times. And then I got on google and started looking for more information, even though I had other things I should have been doing.

Some of you might recall that you've known me to go through this behavior before. This is what I do when I get obsessed about something. Wheeee!

I'm completely certain that that particular LJ entry of yours was the first time I ever heard of Brokeback Mountain.  :) In that sense I'll soon be having my 1-year anniversary too. It's all thanks to you, Mel!  :-*

I continued reading bits and pieces about it in LJ-land as the weeks progressed into November, getting more curious..... Watched the trailer, more than once........started reading stuff about the film online........bought "Close Range" when visiting London on 2nd December, and read the short story for the first time immediately after that. (I remember the huge thrill of finding the book with the movie poster as front. The paperback was then not yet featured prominently in London's biggest bookshop - I had to search for it. And one of the smaller Odeon cinemas in central London had a tiny little notice about upcoming premieres, where BBM was one - I was so excited! ) The first BBM-related entry in my own LJ, a very mundane one having to do with movie ratings, is dated December 6 - and after that there was no stopping me and I've gone on about it endlessly.

Of course there's this special "before and after feeling" attached to January 22, which was when I finally got to see the actual film. Reeling for days afterwards, despite knowing so much about it beforehand. Felt like I'd been hit over the head. Could hardly talk about it. Couldn't find the words, neither spoken nor written, for a while.

So........ one whole year of BBM. It's been a fantastic, rewarding and enriching ride, and it ain't over yet. :) :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 05:02:51 am by Mikaela »