Author Topic: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life  (Read 157682 times)

injest

Re: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2006, 08:54:09 pm »
so it has been about twelve hours...how are the pain meds holding? Hope you are not hurting TOO much.

Don't be macho...if you are hurting USE the meds!!

Offline ffrn

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2006, 06:13:23 am »
...Meanwhile, our forum members in Canada, Europe and Australia are probably experiencing either sadness or outrage at this very specific example of the sorry state of healthcare in the United States, Jess...

You are so right Andrew.  I simply cannot believe a country that is supposedly as advanced as the USA, doesn't have universal health insurance.  Our system isn't perfect but it is miles better than yours.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2006, 07:55:43 am »
Poor Phillip, hope your feeling better. Toothaches are the worst kind of pain if you ask me.

My family flipps out when I tell them I don't have insurance. I rarely have had it, and I am not about to pay for it. I would rather put my money in a medical savings account, where I could rob to go on trips to Alberta.

Yes, it is a shame a country the size of the United States cannot care for its citizens, but if it did how could it go all over the world saving everyone from theirselves? (Big Sarcasm here).
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2006, 02:53:33 pm »
Actually, I broke the silly tooth while eating... a jellybean!  One quarter of it sheared off.  I have been remarkably pain free, however.  It turned out the nerve inside the tooth was 50% necrotic so while he was doing the crown prep (which honestly bothers me more than a root canal - it's a solid 10 minutes of drilling to drill the tooth down to its surface) he managed to enter the pulp canal, which was inflamed and under some pressure anyway, so it was clear a root canal was needed.  He ripped out the nerve itself (which honestly was not painful, and in my previous ones the twang only hits you for a second, so even that is not bad).  Then he did a little prep with the files going in and cleaning out the canal pathways (which is completely painless).

What gets me is about two hours after the procedure when the throbbing starts, which is why I got my Vicodin script.  But I only needed two tablets over that day, and I have been totally pain-free.  The worst part was the freakin bill.

I have to go back next Monday at 9am to finish clearing out the canal, then wait another two weeks for the permanent crown to arrive and get glued on.

Dental coverage is awful in the United States.  You pay a lot per month and end up with a $1000-1500 maximum plus often a 50% co-pay.  For someone who is self-employed, the monthly insurance rate adds up to $1000 a year anyway, so there is absolutely no point in having the insurance.

Medical coverage is also outrageous.  I just dropped our highly rated Blue Cross plan (Blue Choice - an HMO) for Preferred Care, a competing plan.  For John and I, the monthly premium was around $700 with Blue Choice and they were raising the prescription drug co-pay to $7 for tier one (generics), $50 for tier two (expensive generics + moderately priced/common brand names), and $100 for tier three (newest brand name drugs mostly).  John takes two blood pressure pills so that would have been $150 a month just for those.  Forget it.  Preferred Care charges us around $650 a month I think, and the co-pays are $10/$25/$40.

Insurance locally has been going up around 12% a year.  It's already well beyond most people's car payments, and within a decade, it is likely going to exceed a lot of mortgage payments.  We're approaching the breaking point.  Yes, the health care quality is often the best in the world with not a lot of waiting and often a choice in providers, but it's becoming unaffordable for the middle class with no end in sight.  There should be a way of devising a hybrid system similar to a social medicine program but with some built-in choices and perhaps some private insurance add-ons for greater choice in medications or providers.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Root Canals
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2006, 01:29:52 pm »

And the silliest thing, I actually thought a moment about what someone like Jack or Ennis would have done - probably a tooth pull.  One of the critics who didn't love BBM complained that casting Hollywood "pretty boys" in the starring roles made it an "uncredible" film.  In his eyes, a realistic portrayal, especially in later years, would have been a lot harder look on their faces and at least one tooth missing here and there.

Funny, I thought about this the other day when I went to see the Black Dahlia. I didn't know anything about her murder so after the movies I went to the Crime Library online to find out more about Elizabeth Short. In the movie they show her as a young beautiful but rather poor woman, with perfect teeth. However, according to Crime Library, her teeth were practically rotten because of lack of proper hygiene due to her extreme poverty. She used to put wax on them so people wouldn't notice. So it got me thinking if Ennis would have teeth problems too, and not just a tooth missing or two, but a mouth generally in bad shape due to his poverty.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 05:20:45 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

injest

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2007, 12:25:05 am »
You said somewhere that you have started listening to older country and western music. Where are you finding them? cause I have looked on Urge and Napster and am having a real problem finding them!

any website info you can share?

:)

and who in particular are you listening to from back then?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 07:20:42 pm »
I will have many hours available for premium members to grab copies of as I continue to build the radio special.  I have access to a radio station music provisioning service which gives me access to stuff even if out of print. 
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

injest

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:36 pm »
I will have many hours available for premium members to grab copies of as I continue to build the radio special.  I have access to a radio station music provisioning service which gives me access to stuff even if out of print. 

ARGH!

You lucky stiff!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2007, 03:10:38 am »
ARGH!

You lucky stiff!

Jess - I think he's saying WE get to be the lucky stiffs.  :)

injest

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2007, 08:51:58 am »

Jess - I think he's saying WE get to be the lucky stiffs.  :)

like he has the time to send those files to everyone individually? It would be a full time job!

'sides...he is not gonna want to bother with the songs I want! (and I wouldn't ask him to!)