Author Topic: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life  (Read 157667 times)

Offline John Passaniti

• Town Administration
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2008, 07:03:25 pm »
4) The images print slightly darker than the on screen version, but only slightly so.

This statement really doesn't mean much.  Phil doesn't calibrate his monitor (for "color temperature", brightness, contrast, and "gamma") and even if he did, I don't know if Walgreen's uses any specific color-matching system.  Most people don't calibrate their monitors, so the same images can look wildly different.  That's one of the problems that web designers have-- take the image on the top of this page.  I can clearly see the texture of the individual trees on my monitor, but someone who has their monitor a bit darker or with other settings may not see the same thing.  This is also why when I pick hues, saturations, and luminance values, I'll tweak my monitor's settings to see what it looks like over a range of settings.  You can never get the same look everywhere, but you can try to find a happy medium.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #201 on: January 24, 2008, 10:22:49 am »
Mornin' Phillip, I was wondering how your Dad and family are getting along. Hope he has had some good news, there certainly is room in the world for it right now.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Dagi

« Reply #202 on: January 24, 2008, 04:48:56 pm »
Hi Phillip,

just meant to drop by and say thank you for all the work you are doing to help your Brokie Pals through this hard time.

{{{{Phillip}}}}

Dagi

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #203 on: January 24, 2008, 07:46:32 pm »
Hi Phillip,

just meant to drop by and say thank you for all the work you are doing to help your Brokie Pals through this hard time.

{{{{Phillip}}}}

Dagi

yes Phillip - you were extrmely quick off the mark of measuring exactly what was needed...  :-* Thank you
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2008, 06:54:32 pm »
Mornin' Phillip, I was wondering how your Dad and family are getting along. Hope he has had some good news, there certainly is room in the world for it right now.

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner... things are hopping around here and I think I haven't been able to get down past the first half dozen forums....

We are consulting with Roswell and then if we don't like what they have to say, we'll send dad to Sloan Kettering in NYC.  Right now we don't know if the spots on his liver are growing, staying the same, or what.  But we also don't want to sit around and wait to find out because of what we went through with my mom.  So no big news either way at the moment.  We'll see what February brings.

And thanks to Dagi and Kelda for their nice thoughts.  But it's a team effort around here, and on some things I don't know what works best, which is why I rely on everyone else to help out!  :)
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2008, 11:15:35 pm »
Hey Phillip, thinking of your dad.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2008, 01:06:23 am »
Yes, absolutely, I'm sending my best thoughts to you and your father as well.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #207 on: February 12, 2008, 01:25:29 am »
The latest developments:

1) Dad's blood tests reveal the cancer has returned aggressively and he will be undergoing another scan on Wednesday and then we're likely back to the chemo.  He ended up in the hospital over the weekend when he did his fire department physical and his heart rate was twice the normal rate.  He finally admitted to ordering and taking one of those online "energy booster" medications (this is why we have spam, people).  I'll say, the product has four different variations of caffeine and other stimulants.  It might as well be speed.  No wonder the heart rate shot up.  It's stuff like this that give people strokes.  Folks need to stop ordering these supplements over the Internet.  They may be labeled innocently enough, but any stimulant product like this carries the major risk of heart rate increases into the danger level.  He's learned his lesson.

2) I am still fighting off the Xmas eve cold, which deteriorated into bronchitis and sinusitis, and I learned today after sitting in the doctor's office for several hours that I have a very mild form of pneumonia - walking pneumonia (oh boy - who knew walking would cause that... heh).  It's not that big of a deal, and I've been given a special inhaler and got some additional meds to take.  The primary symptom, which reminds me of last year, is that my voice is shot and is usually near-gone after 20 minutes.  Also, my mouth is very dry all the time, no matter how much water I drink.  This is a big nuisance more than anything else.

I feel absolutely fine and normal except for the occasional wheezing, coughing, and a voice that says "Marlboro" was a part of my life, even though I've never smoked a thing in my life.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2008, 02:57:22 pm »
 :-\
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2008, 11:53:58 pm »
Oh Phil, I'm glad your father told what he'd been taking.  Sounds like slowing down is hard on him.  Also, good you figured out what you needed.  Wishing you lots of healing...