Author Topic: An Important Message for "Hidden Users"  (Read 12414 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
An Important Message for "Hidden Users"
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:26:01 pm »
Attention All Users

I have received a substantial number of messages from BetterMost users regarding users appearing on the forum as hidden.  This happens when a user sets their profile to not Show others your online status.  Many users have expressed concern about this option potentially being abused by trolls if/when they reach this site.  It has further caused a lot of suspicion about the merits of this option being used by users.

Because I've had well over a dozen members contact me about this matter, I am going to be turning off the "hidden" option for members effective April 5th.  I wanted to give advance warning before doing this so users are aware of the change.

I want to let users who did choose not to be listed in the online status that you did absolutely nothing wrong, nor has anyone who has used this option been a concern to me at all.  But considering the sensitivity of forum members who have been through a lot during the Troll Wars, I'm going to turn this option off for now.

Thanks for your understanding.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 07:02:42 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
Re: An Important Message for "Hidden Users"
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:28:25 pm »
Wow - a sensitive, thoughtful and proactive administrator?  Phillip, you're a doll.  Us refugees from IMDb aren't used to such nice treatment - it will take some getting used to!  :)
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 02:31:29 pm »
Wow Philip, if bettermost were a hotel I would give it 7 stars! I love it here and as Nicole said we are not used to the briliant treatment we recieve here, I feel spoiled! :-*
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »
Phillip, you're just too good to us. I was wondering about that. Thanks again for EVERYTHING!  :-*

Offline Spooky_Rabbit

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jimmy
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 02:33:01 pm »
Hi Phillip,

Thanks for everything, the site is amazing.  I wouldn't know the first thing about creating such a thing but I'm glad people with that knowledge are out there!

The 'hidden' thing has been interesting to me.  When there's only one person hidden and they are posting, it's kinda easy to figure out who is hidden!  That has been endlessly amusing me.... hehehe...

OK, that's all on the hidden thang and thanks again...

:)  Jimmy
I know I shall meet you on that final day! Water Walkin' Jesus, take me away...

Surf

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 02:39:13 pm »
Paranoia reigns.  Can't we get over it?

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 02:45:03 pm »

Hopefully after several weeks or bliss around here, these kinds of concerns will drift away... to Sweden.  :)
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Surf

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 02:50:05 pm »

Hopefully after several weeks or bliss around here, these kinds of concerns will drift away... to Sweden.  :)

Hopefully.  Please don't take what I said as having anything to do with you, or your site.  I was there, I reported trolls, hell I dug up the little twerps picture...but I don't feel like living in fear either.

Surf

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 02:51:04 pm »
My goodness Surf,  you rarely have anything nice to say do you? Always something contrary or patronizing (ie: your disparaging of Windows comes to mind), and your posts are just generally unpleasant and have a lot of attitude. Rarely anything positive.

I'm just going to have to learn not to read your posts here as there's no ignore feature.

You know what, I think I'm done here anyway.  I'm not on the same wave length of anyone here anymore and yeah, Windows DOES stink.  Sorry.  Adios.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 02:54:50 pm »
I've noticed you've been pretty bitchy...I guess that's not the same wave length as everyone here.