Author Topic: An Important Message for "Hidden Users"  (Read 12497 times)

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: An Important Message for "Hidden Users"
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2006, 05:30:32 am »
I agree with Studly, Victoria, Del, and Jenny.  While I personally like being open and friendly here, and seeing who's up and about with me (hey, insomniacs like company!) I also understand the pleasures of lurking.  I know when I came to the Brokeback board lo those many months ago, I lurked for a good long while to get comfortable.  It wasn't malicious, or disingenuous.  Mainly, it was just plain shyness.  I felt stupid because I didn't feel like I had a lot of interesting things to contribute.

Others of a more extroverted personality may think this is bewildering, but I think a number of people on this board are shy.  Let them be, until they're comfy enough around us to come out.  As all Tremblayans know, to be 'outed' involuntarily ain't nice.  I really like the idea of letting people make their move in their own good time.

Plus, the Tremblayans are a pretty tight-knit group.  We might seem a bit intimidating to newbies.  Let's let the hidden feature stand, and our fearless and unflappable leader Phillip can make sure nobody's being naughty.

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2006, 07:20:25 am »

Plus, the Tremblayans are a pretty tight-knit group.  We might seem a bit intimidating to newbies.  Let's let the hidden feature stand, and our fearless and unflappable leader Phillip can make sure nobody's being naughty.

I'm for keeping the hidden option for shy people.  I'm in favor of transparency but not everyone is comfortable about that.

Someone earlier posted something about the U.S.'s current paranoia sneaking into our forum.  Personally I don't mind if the government listens to my conversations.  As long as they don't get judgmental about it and I can listen to theirs.  I'm guessing that they've got a lot more to hide than anyone they're bugging...  That was so off topic.  Our government's been on my mind lately.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 08:42:53 am »
Our government's been on my mind lately.

Welcome to my world, K.   :-\

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 09:21:40 am »
I have no problem with the hidden feature because if someone turns out to be a troll, I know you guys will boot him/her from the board immediately.
What I don't understand though, is why any of us would want to be hidden when viewing the board? That is rather strange to me.
And saying "because I just wanted to lurk and not post" makes no sense to me too. Most of the time I am on this board, I do not post. Simply because I really like reading what you guys have to say but I don't have much to add myself. I am not an extrovert and very shy, but I do not understand why someone would want to remain hidden, especially if you're a long time member of Chez Tremblay.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 10:31:28 am »
Hey, as long as Phillip is screening the people who are registering on BetterMost and can see who is hidden, then we have no reason to fear the hidden lurkers.

Personally, I think it is odd that anyone would want to be invisable to the people that invited you here.      Its not like there is "instant messaging" where you can get pounced on by people when you sign on.    And what difference does it make how much or how little a person is signed in?

I don't care if the "Hidden" feature stays or goes.    As long as Phillip keeps the trolls away, I'm happy. 

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2006, 01:57:36 pm »
I've just now noticed the hidden person for the first time and it kinda creeps me out.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.