Author Topic: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish  (Read 247712 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish
« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2016, 01:33:45 am »

Oh wow! That's Ennis. With another Cassie. And he's still not much fun, totally not caring, immersed in wistful thoughts and probably rather wishing she'd be gone.

Almost all of the photos are Brokieish. The one you posted and the one with the woman (Alma!) at the kitchen-sink stand out as the most Brokieish to me.
The interior design of the indoor photos could be taken right out of our movie. Everything looks cheap, old and trailer-ish. The mood is bleak and the people look so very damned lonely, even when they're in company. I think it's the loneliness more than anything that makes the photos Brokieish.

Another thing the photos have in common with BBM is that they are photographs but look like paintings. Just like the interior scenes of the Twist farm look like (Vermeer) paintings.

Great find, Katherine! :)

Thanks, Chrissi! And those are good points, both of the photo/painting look and of the Vermeer aspect to the Twist farm.

In particular, this reminded me of the night Ennis didn't want to go out with the fire and brimstone crowd.

I also think the prints on the wall, especially the mountainous one above New Cassie on the couch, are Brokieish.

I'm glad Chrissy replied, because, although I got an email notifying me of your post, Katherine, it was nowhere to be seen. Turns out I had you on ignore. I have absolutely no idea how that happened!  ???

Oh no! Just think of all the words of wisdom you might have missed!  :P   :-X   :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2016, 09:39:54 am »
they need to wise up and go to the church social

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2016, 09:57:34 am »

:laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #233 on: February 08, 2016, 10:22:46 am »

If it's a fire and brimstone crowd, they're probably better off staying home and watching ME-TV.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2016, 09:29:33 am »
ah, the memories are coming back.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
The 1966 TV movie Scalplock is somehow Brokieish. I watched this last night on a DVD sent to me by Friend OCD. (It doesn't have anything to do with scalping. It was the pilot for the railroad-themed Western TV series The Iron Horse, and Scalplock was the name of a town on the Buffalo Pass, Scalplock & Defiance Railroad.) Why is this old TV movie somehow Brokieish? Because it has a Basque sheepherder in it!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

*sings*

because it's all about the basque
about the basque
no soup now!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2016, 12:59:38 am »
Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" seems very Brokieish to me. . .what do you think?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2016, 10:51:48 am »
Agreed about the song, but I'd lean toward the Rufus Wainwright version, partly for Brokieish reasons (as you know, Rufus Wainwright sings on the BBM soundtrack). Also because I started really loving this song when my sons and I used to listen to the Shrek CD -- which actually is a good soundtrack album overall, by the way, and that's the best song on it.

Just noticed in a quick googling that while the soundtrack CD uses Rufus Wainwright's cover, the movie uses the Jeff Buckley version, apparently because Wainwright was an artist for DreamWorks and there were licensing issue

Newsweek ranked 60 covers of "Hallelujah" -- Rufus Wainwright's is No. 3, Jeff Buckley's is No. 2, John Cale's is No. 1.

It's an interesting list. It's been covered by pretty much every singer ever -- Bob Dylan! Celine Dion! Bono! Neil Diamond! Jon Bon Jovi! K.D. Lang! (her version is pretty good), and apparently every American Idol singer ever. Some of them are accompanied by recordings, though most -- thankfully, it sounds like -- are not. I'd like to hear the Dylan one; he apparently sang it "as an uptempo blues-rock shuffle," but the link Newsweek provides is broken.

Interestingly, Cohen's version is No. 8, and not flatteringly described by Newsweek, which calls "Hallelujah," like "All Along the Watchtower," one of those songs for which a cover is better than the original. They're right about both!

Newsweek says it's fun to play Cohen's version out of context to someone who knows the song, and they'll go, "Who is this guy and why is he wrecking this song?" It also offers this funny story: "One anecdote has him [Dylan] asking Cohen how long it ["Hallelujah"] took to write, to which the singer replied, “A couple of years.” Cohen asked the same of Dylan’s “I and I” and Dylan replied, “Fifteen minutes.”

http://www.newsweek.com/60-versions-leonard-cohens-hallelujah-ranked-303580

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2016, 07:33:25 pm »
*sings*

because it's all about the basque
about the basque
no soup now!

:laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/