Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698883 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #780 on: April 26, 2011, 02:16:44 pm »
Yay, Kelda!! Congrats!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
How's everybody doing in getting fit for summer (winter for you down under)? I have made some progress even though I haven't been able to work out at the gym except for a handful of times this month. At the turn of the month, I made a rigorous pack trip to the Utah canyonlands. Between carrying a moderately heavy pack, climbing and hiking for three days, and eating dehydrated food, I came home ripped!! And then last weekend I spent three days helping my daughter pack all her belongings, paint her entire new house, and move in, going long hours between meals. So, I have not missed working out at the gym!

I'm constantly trying to improve my diet too. Lately, I have been cutting back on evening meals so I'll wake up hungry the next day. It's been surprisingly difficult to accomplish. Also, I tried some supplements designed to help you purge or cleanse. I thought it was a waste of time and money. I didn't notice any difference at all.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Well that's me at the halfway point now. 2st/28lbs down, 2 stone/28lbs to go. I now weigh 14 stone/196lbs.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Well I put 5lbs on during my holiday. So I'm back to 23lbs lost. But that's okay - I expected to put some on on holiday - actually more than 5lb so I feel okay.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
As our friend Bruce would say, Good on you, Kelda!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Snacking, not portion size, largely driving U.S. overeating

By Anne Harding, Health.com   Wed, Jun 29, 2011

Over the past several decades Americans have steadily gotten fatter. Although our increasingly sedentary lifestyles are partly to blame, a big reason for our national weight gain is that we're simply eating more.

In the mid-2000s, government surveys show, the average American adult ate about 2,375 calories per day, nearly one-third more than he (or she) did in the late 1970s. What accounts for all those added calories?

According to a new study, the biggest single contributor to the sharp rise in calorie intake has been the number of snacks and meals people eat per day. Over the past 30-odd years, the study found, Americans have gone from consuming 3.8 snacks and meals per day to 4.9, on average—a 29 percent increase.

The average portion size has increased, too, but only by about 12 percent. And, surprisingly, the average number of calories per 1-gram serving of food (known as "energy density") actually declined slightly over that period, which suggests that calorie-rich food has played a relatively minor role in our expanding waistlines.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/obesity/snacking-not-portion-size-largely-driving-us-overeating

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
This sounds just about right to my experience.  All the more reason to find a snack substitute for times you know you would be better off not eating, like if you come home late and hungry.  That's when I get out the 5-minute Japanese miso soup or the herb tea. 

And in my experience, it's carbs, especially wheat and sugar, that make you hungry every few hours in the first place.  Two hours after I have either, I have both a ravenous cavernous hunger and a craving for more carbs which is almost as sweet as sugar itself. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Friends, I fell off the wagon recently. I went to Wyoming for four days and was sitting in a car for several hours. Then, people were treating me to breakfasts and dinners. I'm able to squeeze into my skinny jeans, but just barely. Need to shed those extra hot pounds immediately!! Any suggestions?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Friends, I fell off the wagon recently. I went to Wyoming for four days and was sitting in a car for several hours. Then, people were treating me to breakfasts and dinners. I'm able to squeeze into my skinny jeans, but just barely. Need to shed those extra hot pounds immediately!! Any suggestions?

I once read that whenever Goldie Hawn finds that she has gained a few pounds, she cuts out all carbs until she loses it again. That makes sense to me. IMO, it's not good to cut carbs that much for a long period -- especially fruit, legumes and whole grains -- or if you're trying to lose a substantial amount of weight, but if you're just trying to quickly drop a few extra vacation lbs., it is a way to shed weight fast.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
I've been stalled for awhile, too, Lee.  But here's a little 3-day diet I've done numerous times, and it does result in a loss of 2-3 pounds.  My mom was given it years ago as a way to lose weight before surgery.

The Cleveland Clinic Diet

Day One
Breakfast of 2 tbsp. peanutbutter on 1 slice of toast, and 1/2 grapefruit
Lunch is 1 small can of tuna (packed in water) and 1 slice dry toast
Dinner is 3 oz. any type of meat, 1 cup green beans, 1 cup red beets, 1 small apple, 1/2 c. vanilla ice cream

Day Two
Breakfast of 1 egg, 1 slice dry toast, 1 small banana
Lunch is 1 cup cottage cheese and 5 saltine crackers
Dinner is 2 hot dogs, 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup carrots, 1 banana, 1/2 c. vanilla ice cream

Day Three
Breakfast is 1 slice cheddar cheese, 5 saltine crackers, 1 banana, 1 apple
Lunch is 1 egg and 1 slice dry toast
Dinner is 1 small can of tuna (packed in water), 1 cup red beets, 1 cup cauliflower, 1/2 c. canteloupe or mixed fruit, 1/2 c. vanilla ice cream

Salt and pepper okay, but no other seasonings or spices.  Black coffee and tea okay.  No substitutions.  Diet works on a chemical breakdown.  After 3 days, resume normal eating for at least 4 days.  Some have lost as much as 40 pounds a month on it.

Over the years, I've tried it with some substitutions, like chicken for the 3rd day tuna, and still lost weight.  I've even done everything except the last dinner, which is pretty strange IMO (as is the hot dog dinner) and still lost something.  I always drink some diet soda, too.  Maybe by following it exactly, you get better results, but it's still pretty effective.

Ich bin ein Brokie...