Author Topic: On Diamonds  (Read 11501 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: On Diamonds
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »
you're supporting the idea that eating a drinking a diet coke with one's double Big Mac with cheese and large fries actually accomplishes anything.

I'm assuming that you mean drinking a Diet Coke as opposed to some more caloric beverage, if you're trying to lose weight? It does accomplish something: saves you 150 calories you don't have to burn later.

According to you, all it takes is one movie to convince people.

Nope. I never said this.

No, I don't buy the 'heads of all big corporations' are heartless drones stereotype.  They're people too.

Never said this, either. I can't debate someone who constantly misquotes me, because your posts don't have any real application to what I've said.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 01:10:34 pm »
I'm assuming that you mean drinking a Diet Coke as opposed to some more caloric beverage, if you're trying to lose weight? It does accomplish something: saves you 150 calories you don't have to burn later.

Sure, but does it help the overall goal of losing weight?  No.

Nope. I never said this.

Did you say it?  No, but you implied it.  Grassroots movements such as

Blood Diamond and other efforts to publicize the situation are out there -- people who aren't aware of them won't be affected, just like with any other political action.

Never said this, either. I can't debate someone who constantly misquotes me, because your posts don't have any real application to what I've said.

See above.  I'm not quoting you, I'm taking what you mean.  You're saying movies such as Blood Diamond spreads awareness.  Exactly who are they spreading awareness to?  Yep, that's right, people.  So why wouldn't executives at a large corporation similarly be affected?  Aren't they people, too?

Offline robin

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 03:11:58 pm »
Sure, but does it help the overall goal of losing weight?  No.

Did you say it?  No, but you implied it.  Grassroots movements such as

See above.  I'm not quoting you, I'm taking what you mean.  You're saying movies such as Blood Diamond spreads awareness.  Exactly who are they spreading awareness to?  Yep, that's right, people.  So why wouldn't executives at a large corporation similarly be affected?  Aren't they people, too?

I would add too, that movies such as this 'preach to the choir' as it were. People that are already predisposed to being open to boycotts and other forms of protests.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 03:52:47 pm »
Gee - look what I started :). I am always happy to cause contention but hopefully only of the friendly, respectful sort. I will just reiterate that the movie BLOOD DIAMOND exposed me to an area of exploitation of which I had been previously unaware.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 04:16:04 pm »
oops. Continued.

I am happy to hear that corporate diamond brokers have been proactive about this issue. I do remain skeptical because I don't see how one can determine the origin of raw stones after they are mixed together. And I don't trust corporate CEOs to put altruism ahead of profit. That said, though,  I firmly believe that small groups of people can make positive change in the world. We do what we can where we can. Just because this isn't the most horrific problem facing the planet doesn't mean it can't be addressed by people in a position to do so. 
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 07:12:29 pm »
According to you, all it takes is one movie to convince people.

Nope. I never said this.

Did you say it?  No, but you implied it.

No. Either I'm communicating really poorly, or you're leaping to really wild conclusions about what I "implied." I would never say -- or imply -- anything as ridiculous as "all it takes is one movie to convince people." Obviously the vast majority of people won't see the movie. Of those who do, some won't be convinced. Of those who are, some won't remember or won't act on their convictions for other reasons. One movie is simply one factor among many.

As for my statement that you quoted -- "Blood Diamond and other efforts to publicize the situation are out there -- people who aren't aware of them won't be affected, just like with any other political action" -- how on earth do you get "all it takes is one movie to convince people" out of that?

When was the last time you, as one person, attempted to convince the head(s) of a huge corporation to change corporate practices? Not very effective, generally.

No, I don't buy the 'heads of all big corporations' are heartless drones stereotype.  They're people too.

Never said this, either.

See above.  I'm not quoting you, I'm taking what you mean.

No you're not. Obviously you don't know what I mean. You're talking about what you THINK I mean, which as we have seen is something vastly different.

I never said corporation heads "are heartless drones." I said it's not effective for one person to try to convince a CEO to change the company's practices.

So why wouldn't executives at a large corporation similarly be affected?  Aren't they people, too?

Yes, Del, executives are people -- many, in fact, are very kind-hearted and charitable. But they don't run corporations single-handedly. They are beholden to boards of directors, which are beholden to stockholders. With billions of dollars at stake, CEOs don't go around drastically changing business practices because one person (or even a movie!) says it would be a good idea.

But if you think it will work, you're welcome to give it a try. Call De Beers; I won't stand in your way. While you're at it, why don't you call the oil companies and Secretary of Energy Steven Chu and whoever else makes decisions about where the U.S. will import its oil. In fact, why don't you call Chu and all the energy companies and tell them to switch from fossil fuels to alternative forms of energy right away.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 07:16:41 pm »
I will just reiterate that the movie BLOOD DIAMOND exposed me to an area of exploitation of which I had been previously unaware.

Me too. Though I guess I'd always been a bit suspicious of diamonds because they were heavily mined in South Africa during the apartheid era -- seemed like a red flag for possible human-rights abuses.

I am happy to hear that corporate diamond brokers have been proactive about this issue. I do remain skeptical because I don't see how one can determine the origin of raw stones after they are mixed together. And I don't trust corporate CEOs to put altruism ahead of profit. That said, though,  I firmly believe that small groups of people can make positive change in the world. We do what we can where we can. Just because this isn't the most horrific problem facing the planet doesn't mean it can't be addressed by people in a position to do so. 

I agree with all of this!

As for tracking the origins, it does seem difficult, but maybe they have some system in place. I also hope that human-rights organizations are keeping an eye on things.