Author Topic: Calling all homeowners - have some questions  (Read 10464 times)

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Calling all homeowners - have some questions
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 08:34:57 pm »
Well, Mandy, come to my place and you'll find out I can't cook or clean worth a darn, either.   :laugh:  Or sew or knit, which comes a little closer to working with my hands as in window screens.  I did make a nice hooked rug kit 30 years ago, but could never hem the borders, so it's starting to come apart by now.   ::)

I always liked reading, puzzles, etc.  Pool was fun because there's some spatial ability (figuring out the angles) required there, but it wasn't as though the pool table was going to fall apart, so I didn't need manual skills to make, build or repair anything. 

But as for the window screens, it's just a lot of bother, and if I can find somebody who will do it relatively cheaply, it's worth it. 
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 10:46:32 pm »
Oh, come on girls, window screens are so easy to fix.  Deb, if you can learn to play pool, you can fix a messed-up window screen.  It's quite satisfying to do something for yourself at times, rather than paying for someone else to do it.  I guess I must have grown up handy by nature cause I was always down in the basement wood shop with my dad.  I was always more fascinated to learn how to hammer and saw and screw and rivet and paint, than I ever was about that whole "women are supposed to do the cooking and cleaning" stereotype.  As it turns out, I still did manage to figure out how to cook and clean in an acceptable, but most certainly not impressive, fashion, but I can hammer and saw and screw and rivet and paint like a pro.  And I'm quite proud of that. 

Don't underestimate your abilities, ladies.

I don't not do those things because I don't think girls can do them. Girls obviously can do them every bit as well as boys. I don't do them because the learning curve is too steep, I don't have the tools, and most importantly I don't have the time. I fully understand the satisfaction that comes from doing them, and before I had kids and as many time pressures I used to enjoy that feeling of accomplishment.

But things that would take me several hours -- figuring out how to do it, going to the hardware store to get the supplies, coming back and doing it, perhaps failing once or twice but eventually getting it done -- a handyman can do in 10 minutes.

So, just as I hire others to fix my car and do my taxes, I hire handymen. I still clean my own house because there's no learning curve or special supply purchasing involved, but if I started working more hours (and making more money) I can see hiring someone for that, too.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 10:53:12 pm »
I didn't mean to offend any of you ladies.  I was merely trying to give encouragement and confidence.  But it seems I've taken a few of you aback, so I'll stay off this board now.  Sorry.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »
I didn't mean to offend any of you ladies.  I was merely trying to give encouragement and confidence.  But it seems I've taken a few of you aback, so I'll stay off this board now.  Sorry.

I can only speak for myself, Mandy, but since my post immediately preceded yours ... I wasn't offended at all by what you said (though while we're on the subject, the others don't sound offended to me). I just wanted to clarify that the reason I don't do those things isn't about gender, it's about time. I don't think there's any reason for you to apologize or "stay off" the board.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 11:46:35 pm »
I can only speak for myself, Mandy, but since my post immediately preceded yours ... I wasn't offended at all by what you said (though while we're on the subject, the others don't sound offended to me). I just wanted to clarify that the reason I don't do those things isn't about gender, it's about time. I don't think there's any reason for you to apologize or "stay off" the board.

Same here.  I wasn't offended either.  No need to feel like you have to stay away.

And just for the record, so people don't feel that I'm being anti-social, no, my neighbors are not old folks.  I wish they were, I'd feel safer.  They're my peers.  Some are older and have children who are in their late teens so they hang out on stoops and sit on their cars socializing and some are younger.  I wish it made me feel safer, knowing they're out there keeping an eye on things, but it doesn't.  But hopefully in time it will.

The neighbor who stopped by today, has full-glove tattoos on both arms, doesn't seem to be employed, still lives with his folks and is my age.

I wouldn't trust these people with my phone number much less let them know when I was going on vacation.  I don't even like knowing that they know I live in the house alone.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 12:48:37 am »
del,

I'd make it a priority to get deadbolt locks on the exterior doors.  I don't know what kinds of windows you have or how accessible they are, but they do sell some kind of safety locks for up-and-down windows that prevent them from being opened all the way.  I'm thinking, better safe than sorry here.   

Offline dejavu

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 09:28:44 am »
That's another good idea, Fran.

And Mandy, I certainly wasn't offended, either, and thought I was making my lack of manual abilities seem humorous.  They're humorous to me.  Please don't stay away from this thread, you have some good ideas.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:30 am »
Same here.  I wasn't offended either.  No need to feel like you have to stay away.

And just for the record, so people don't feel that I'm being anti-social, no, my neighbors are not old folks.  I wish they were, I'd feel safer.  They're my peers.  Some are older and have children who are in their late teens so they hang out on stoops and sit on their cars socializing and some are younger.  I wish it made me feel safer, knowing they're out there keeping an eye on things, but it doesn't.  But hopefully in time it will.

The neighbor who stopped by today, has full-glove tattoos on both arms, doesn't seem to be employed, still lives with his folks and is my age.

I wouldn't trust these people with my phone number much less let them know when I was going on vacation.  I don't even like knowing that they know I live in the house alone.

I can understand why you're uncomfortable, but I think you'll feel much better if you do get to know the neighbors. Many of them might be nice folks, and you'll be glad you met them. Neighbors can help each other out in a pinch and, as you said, can help keep an eye on things. Most people are as concerned about protecting their own property and keeping the neighborhood safe as you are. And if there are some bad apples on the block, you'll be better off forming alliances with the nice ones. At the very least, you'll find out which ones you most want to avoid.

It might be a while before you trust them with knowing when you're on vacation, but the sooner you get to know them a little the sooner you'll feel at home in the neighborhood.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 12:20:32 pm »
When it's appropriate and feasible, sell the house and buy a condominium. While you will have a monthly fee, you will also have the advantages of home ownership plus there will be maintenance people to take care of things like holes in window screens.

I just had to have a screen replaced because strong winds tore it.

I also once had to have the screen replaced on my balcony sliding door because one night I forgot the screen was closed and I put my foot through it!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 01:12:13 pm »
Wow, del, you do have a list of situations to deal with.  I agree with Fran about making locks a priority.  And since you don't seem to want the house, Jeff's idea to eventually sell and buy what you do want makes sense too.  And Katherine's idea about Angie's list.

My ex-husband and my stepfather could never understand each other.  My ex-husband could never understand why my stepfather would pay somebody to do what he could do himself.  My stepfather could never understand why my ex-husband would do something himself he could pay someone else to do.