Author Topic: AP: Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity  (Read 26203 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: AP: Novelist Anne Rice says she's leaving Christianity
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 01:46:58 pm »
I can't think of any reason not to call the MSM the "Dinosaur Media" - their declining audience base and readership alone point towards their continued shrinkage if not extinction. And then the snarky condescending attitudes that they have towards the America that they don't much care for, the so called "flyover country" - alienating potential audiences is not the "smartest" marketing strategy. I believe I saw a stat yesterday that FoxNews audience share is now 4 times that of CNN. Furthermore, the term "MSM" implies that they are "mainstream" when they are anything but mainstream, so I and others have searched for a term with which to label them. I think that it was either Laura Ingraham or Anne Coulter who first used the term, and it stuck because it fits. 

Much of this would fit the "new" media too, as anyone with more than a week of Internet access can attest.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 01:52:06 pm »
And then the snarky condescending attitudes that they have towards the America that they don't much care for, the so called "flyover country" -

Examples, please. Just because Sarah or Rush or Glenn say the media do something or other, doesn't mean they actually do it. Shocking, I know.  ::)

As a person who lives in so-called "flyover country" and tends to get prickly about any sort of stereotyping of or condescension toward Middle America, I would have to say I don't see that sort of thing pop up all that often in the mainstream media. Not to shock you twice in one post, but location on a coast or in a big city doesn't automatically confer snobbery.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 03:25:18 pm »
, but location on a coast or in a big city doesn't automatically confer snobbery.

applying this rubric equally, residency in a non-coastal state doesn't automatically confer humility :)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010, 03:44:23 pm »
applying this rubric equally, residency in a non-coastal state doesn't automatically confer humility :)

True! Nor authenticity as an American.  ;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010, 04:13:10 pm »
True! Nor authenticity as an American.  ;D
authentic Americans? do you mean residents of the Americas, or citizens of the United States who are properly called USonians.

well, don't authentic Americans usually have their birth certs handy, esp when they run for public office?

just wondering --

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2010, 05:15:18 pm »
authentic Americans? do you mean residents of the Americas, or citizens of the United States who are properly called USonians.

well, don't authentic Americans usually have their birth certs handy, esp when they run for public office?

just wondering --

You mean like this one?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »

You mean like this one?

were you posting an image, it may not have posted.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2010, 09:18:54 pm »
Wow, those are some pretty powerful comments.

I found this comment most apt - and it wasn't from Anne, it was from one of the readers.

I could have told her any of these things about the Catholic church before she joined. Does no one do any fact checking before joining massive organizations and giving them lots of money?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2010, 12:25:01 am »
were you posting an image, it may not have posted.

Do you not see that? That's strange -- I see it in your post as well as my own.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/politics/graphics/birth.jpg

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2010, 02:19:21 am »
I found this comment most apt - and it wasn't from Anne, it was from one of the readers.

I could have told her any of these things about the Catholic church before she joined. Does no one do any fact checking before joining massive organizations and giving them lots of money?
church isn´t just any organization in that respect. Often people are more or less raised into a religion.
It´s about culture, traditions and habits. Things that often are hard things to break away from.

I think it takes a lot of strength to reconsider and be able to change one´s mind on something.