Author Topic: Jake'n'Anne Together Again: Love and Other Drugs (sure ain't Jack'n'Lureen!)  (Read 83310 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Thanks for the review, Paul and Lynne!

Don't know when it's released here,
but I may try not to make it yet another one of those films I suddenly find myself having missed.  ::)

What I do miss, OTOH, is brokies to go and see it with.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Kelda, I didn't see that scene in the movie, and I don't know if it's even genuine or not.

I enjoyed the movie, but, dang it all, Brokeback has spoiled Jake movies for me forever, it seems!! When the movie started, Jake was selling electronic equipment, and I saw him selling combines and such. Then later, when he embraced Anne, crouched in misery, I saw the ending of the lake scene. It was the same thing throughout the movie...I kept seeing parallels to Brokeback!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Kelda, I didn't see that scene in the movie, and I don't know if it's even genuine or not.

I enjoyed the movie, but, dang it all, Brokeback has spoiled Jake movies for me forever, it seems!! When the movie started, Jake was selling electronic equipment, and I saw him selling combines and such. Then later, when he embraced Anne, crouched in misery, I saw the ending of the lake scene. It was the same thing throughout the movie...I kept seeing parallels to Brokeback!

In that scene I saw in the trailer, where Anne pops in for a surprise visit naked except for a coat, then drops the coat, does Jake keep steadfastly peeling potatoes and averting his eyes?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Almost forgot:  the first preview was for Jake's "Source Code", which looked like a cross between "Inception" and "Groundhog Day", but without overblown special effects and probably without much humor.

Yeah, I'll wait to get my Jake fix in this movie instead.  :D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
In that scene I saw in the trailer, where Anne pops in for a surprise visit naked except for a coat, then drops the coat, does Jake keep steadfastly peeling potatoes and averting his eyes?

:laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

Jake Gyllenhaal sat down with David Denby at SVA Theater 1 last night to discuss his past films and his newest, "Love and Other Drugs." Denby said that the scenes between Gyllenhaal and his love interest, played by Anne Hathaway, were "electrifying."

"You may do for straight sex what you did for gay sex," he said.

Asked what's in store for the future, Gyllenhaal admitted to having other interests. "Paul Newman is someone who I admire," he says. "I think I could make a really good salad dressing, too."

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/festival/2010/10/sex-salad-dressing-and-jake-gyllenhaal.html#ixzz16JdXVW1W

There's the quintessential quote about Jake.  And didn't Paul Newman teach him how to drive?

Offline Ellemeno

Oh, and I love Hank Azaria and Oliver Platt.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I could have done with less of Jake's nebbish brother, for sure.  Very annoying. 

Worst casting ever! No way could those two be brothers! And no way could both of them have come from Jill Clayburgh!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

No, that scene was most akin to the reunion scene, because Jake and Anne were...overlooked! I can't say any more...spoilers you know!

Yeah, I'll wait to get my Jake fix in this movie instead.

We know it's just because Jake is on a train for most of the movie!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
No, that scene was most akin to the reunion scene, because Jake and Anne were...overlooked! I can't say any more...spoilers you know!

Actually, I think the trailer already spoiled that spoiler.